Sailor Pro Gear Ef Nib Advice....supposely Long Lead Item From Japan

india.ink

I ordered a Sailor Pro Gear EF nib in rhodium trim from Engeika back in early February. Today, Taizo told me that Sailor would get that pen to him in June 2014. I have already wasted one month with him just trying to get the PayPal payment confirmed and now, it seems that I have to wait approximately another 4 months just to get this pen. I asked him if he can expedite getting the pen but he is saying,

"But as the fountain pens factories now are suffering a lot of problems because of the recession so they are making the pens all now by hand and there is lot of people waiting for the standard nib sizes also so the delay is happening

we are trying our best to expedite it but sailor has given us the time for the realo EF nib in June only"
I just want to know what to do in this situation. I really want the EF nib but I am not sure if I should wait until June. In addition, I have already paid him in full for this pen. If I still don't get this pen in June, will PayPal help me dispute the transaction 5 months from when the transaction was done? I am desperately seeking advice because I am still a newbie with ordering items from Japan.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• india.ink

• ander75it

• aardvarkbark

• kenshiro

Engika generally keeps his word, has done so for me at least. Now. Sailor does hand grind nibs, if I remember correctly, and this may be the case but I don't think Paypal would do anything, since it is outside of of that window. I would ask him to put you on the waiting list, and check back with him when the time nears, so that you can have everything set up for the transaction in June. If you are that impatient, you can just head over to ebay where someone else will ship it to you directly from Japan, with Paypal's blessing. I checked, and there are 20+ offers now.

Thanks for the reply. Based on what I have read over the internet, it seems that Sailor hand grinds all of the Nagahara nibs, not the standard nibs. I could be mistaken, though. Well, it seems that I have been put on a waiting list since I paid for this pen and I am waiting for it. It would have been really nice if I could have put a 10% deposit and when the pen arrives, I would have paid him in full but that doesn't seem to be the way it works. I am just wondering if anybody else had to wait months to get their pens?

Some thoughts...

Are you sure you want an EF Sailor? Their F writes as narrow as Omas and Visconti EFs.

If you have a sense of urgency, have you checked to see if nibs.com or another source can supply it sooner through current stock, though more expensively?

If a F is immediately available from Engika, maybe you could get it, try it, and if you're not happy, send it to Mike Masuyama (mikeitwork.com), who, if you aren't aware, is a nibmeister who is very familiar with Sailors and could grind it to an EF for you for a nominal charge.

I don't think you'll have a dispute with Engika that requires paypal assistance. For peace of mind though, you should contact paypal and ask them about the deadline for recourse rather than ask about their policies here (or on any forum).

Thank you for the info. I do want an EF nib just because I like a very fine nib. As for urgency, it is not urgent but I was a little shocked that he told me it will take until June to get the pen. I have no problem waiting but I just want to make sure that either I get the pen from him or I get my money back, that's all. I have already seen John Mottishaw's website where he sells these Sailor pens. If this EF nib works out, I am thinking about buying a Sailor with a Saibi-Togi nib. Let's see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the EF in a standard 1911. Wait for it, it's worth it. In fact, I just purchased a large 1911 with EF and have decided to sell a Realo which I have with the F nib. Yes, I like them very fine. It's true that if you are OK with an European EF you will like the Sailor F, however.

Edited by ander75it

Ander

@=

My FPs and Inks

Thank you. I am definitely going to wait for it. I got my Custom Heritage 912 with the PO nib and I am absolutely loving it! So, I definitely I would like to get my hands on a Sailor EF.

I just had an order ship from Engeika that I placed weeks ago. Still, Taizo's been true to his word, giving me very transparent availability information all the way through. You'll wait, but you save and Taizo won't jerk you around saying 'soon soon'. Four months generally means four months.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

Thank you kenshiro for your input. That make me feel good that I am not being jerked around.

John Mottishaw's excellent reputation speaks for itself, but just because John's website indicates he sells a certain pen doesn't mean that he has it in his inventory or that he doesn't himself need to wait to get it from Japan. I'm in just that situation now, having mistakenly assumed that the pen I was ordering from John's website in January was one that John could pull from the shelf, tune, and ship to me immediately.

To his credit, once I placed my order online, John's colleagues let me know immediately what to expect in my case.

Point being, had you ordered from John instead of from Engeika, you might be facing an extended wait anyway.

Good News! I order a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 EF nib from Engeika with my Sailor pen, and the pilot pen has shipped. Taizo did contact Sailor and they said that the pen should arrive mid to late May. Hopefully, it's sooner but let's see what happens. When the Pilot pen arrives, I may do a review along with my Pilot 912 with PO nib.

Just an update from me - my order shipped 2 days ago and has already passed through customs in the US. I guess as an apology for the delay I got an expedite; express international shipping at no cost. Looking forward to my new gear!

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

• 4 weeks later...

Good lord, Now im freaking out, I just ordered a Professional gear EF from him as well as a Professional Gear 2 in fine.

The day has finally arrived. I just had Taizo email me two days ago that my Sailor Pro Gear EF nib pen has shipped and today, it just arrived. Such a beautiful pen.

Yes. It does take time but he is a man of his word.

I am also waiting for a shipment from him.

Good prices and good service.

Thus, the task is not so much to see what no one has seen,

but to think what nobody has yet thought,

about that which everybody sees (Erwin Schrodinger)

I'm glad he is man of his word. I will soon be purchasing more pens from him. Can't Wait!!