Photo

New Student Fountain Pens At Justwrite From $2.75 To $4.95

student pens cheap fountain pens fountain pens under $5 plastic fountain pens justwrite australia justwrite.com.au faber-castell fountain pens hero fountain pens sellner fountain pens

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JustWrite Pen Company

JustWrite Pen Company

Mint

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2014 - 14:11

We've just put together a range of 'Student Pens' costing between $2.75 and $4.95. This has been one of my pet projects for some time now and one of my original criteria was that the pen must take a converter AND Standard Cartridges. They all do except the Hero 266 but it's pretty easy to fill - and the Hero 358 ($4.80 with 4 cartridges) which will only take cartridges because there isn't enough headroom for a converter. Despite this inexplicable design choice, this pen and the Sellners ($2.75) are my picks. Both write amazingly well for such inexpensive pens, particularly the Hero.

student-pens-justwrite-com-au.jpg

fountain-pen-sellner-a4614-marchtrenk-blue_2.jpg

fountain-pen-sellner-a4614-marchtrenk-red_3.jpg

fountain-pen-sellner-a4614-marchtrenk-yellow_1.jpg

fountain-pen-hero-358-blue.jpg

fountain-pen-hero-358-blue_4.jpg

fountain-pen-hero-358-pink_1.jpg

fountain-pen-hero-358-purple_4.jpg

fountain-pen-hero-358-yellow_2.jpg

fountain-pen-hero-358-blue_90.jpg

faber-castell-fountain-pen-258-black.jpg

faber-castell-fountain-pen-258-blue.jpg

faber-castell-fountain-pen-258-red_4.jpg

fountain-pen-266-stainless-steel.jpg

fountain-pen-266-blue.jpg

Kevin Watson
JustWrite Pen Company, Australia

#2 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2014 - 20:39

Thanks Kevin, you've reminded me to have another look at your site when I return from holidays. Cheers

#3 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:56

Kevin from JustWrite sent me a few of these pens as samples, some weeks ago now, to get my opinion on them before committing (I have three school-aged children, two of whom love playing with fountain pens) - and more recently I've been onto his website to purchase and try out the ultra-slimline Hero pen (haven't inked it up yet).

I'm hoping to put up some reviews over in the pen section - as a 'thank you' to Kevin, and for the benefit of anyone wanting to get a 'feel' for these pens before they buy.  For now, I just wanted to say, the Sellner pens especially are AMAZING value for money - especially for a German(?) made pen. They'll take long and short international cartridges, and write wonderfully smoothly.  The feed is a 'wick' feed (as is the Pilot VPen, I've discovered!), but that seems to work well. UNBELIEVABLE value for AU$2.75 (plus postage).  The Hero pens are made of a less durable plastic, and are designed to take proprietary (short Parker-ending) cartridges - but they come with 4 blue-black cartridges, which is a big plus, and again, are a very smooth writer.  Oh, and with a little bit of "encouragement" they'll take a standard international short cartridge happily enough, for those who are not fond of blue-black ink in a delicately-shaded pink or yellow pen...

#4 Tenkai

Tenkai

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 14:06

Hope this is not necro, but does the feed accept varsity nibs?

Might be a nice solution to solve the hacking varsity, as now you get a varsity which is a C/C pen.

#5 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 15:02

Hope this is not necro, but does the feed accept varsity nibs?

Might be a nice solution to solve the hacking varsity, as now you get a varsity which is a C/C pen.

If your question relates to the Sellner pen, the answer is a definite 'no' - though they look similar from on top, the shapes of the feeds are not compatible.  MAYBE you could pull out the whole feed on both pens and do a swap - the fin sections beneath the feeds are a comparable size, and it's just possible that would work.  That said, I don't know that you'd WANT to transplant nibs - in my experience they're fairly comparable in terms of smoothness, although the Pilot probably writes a marginally broader line.  

#6 Tenkai

Tenkai

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 15:23

If your question relates to the Sellner pen, the answer is a definite 'no' - though they look similar from on top, the shapes of the feeds are not compatible.  MAYBE you could pull out the whole feed on both pens and do a swap - the fin sections beneath the feeds are a comparable size, and it's just possible that would work.  That said, I don't know that you'd WANT to transplant nibs - in my experience they're fairly comparable in terms of smoothness, although the Pilot probably writes a marginally broader line.  

Ah, I was just trying to get a varsity with cartridges ^^" Maybe take the feed and stick it in a Preppy body. Guess I'll stick with the varsity in preppy. It's a frankenpen thing ^^"

#7 aawhite

aawhite

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 22:53

.  .  .  

For now, I just wanted to say, the Sellner pens especially are AMAZING value for money - especially for a German(?) made pen.

.  .  .

Isn't Sellner an Austrian company? I believe Marchtrenk is a town in Austria.

It is possible that the plastics are made in Germany or Austria, but the nib section seems to be a run-of-the-mill steel nib from China, and very similar to the Smiggles fountain pens mentioned on another thread.

Edited by aawhite, 27 June 2014 - 22:54.

Favorite Pens: Aurora Optima Blue Auroloide and Cross Apogee.

#8 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:29

Isn't Sellner an Austrian company? I believe Marchtrenk is a town in Austria.

It is possible that the plastics are made in Germany or Austria, but the nib section seems to be a run-of-the-mill steel nib from China, and very similar to the Smiggles fountain pens mentioned on another thread.

Oops - yeah, you're right, Sellner is an Austrian company - the JustWrite website has this wrong, and I was getting my info from their website.  

Yes, the nib section looks a little bit like the flat nibs you find on the Hero 358 'Schedule Note', the Pilot Metropolitan... and for all I know the Smiggles nib as well - but I don't know whether that comes down to common design or common origin.  It also has in common with those other pens a wick feeding system, which seems to help prevent dry-out but can make it messy to try and change ink colours between cartridges.  Still, it's a very nice writer, and the kind of pen you won't cry over (too much) if it gets lost, stolen or broken.  The smiley-faces probably mean it's not an ideal office pen, though - sadly...

#9 basterma

basterma

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:12

Most of these pens have the same general layout as pens branded as Reynolds (India) and Flair. The Flair pen I have is a great writer, but the proprietary catridges they come with are hard to find. The Faber Castell is likely made for them by the Chinese Beifa company.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: student pens, cheap fountain pens, fountain pens under $5, plastic fountain pens, justwrite, australia, justwrite.com.au, faber-castell fountain pens, hero fountain pens, sellner fountain pens