I'm Curious, How Many Of Us Have Kaigelu 316's?

richardandtracy

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Flounder

• Contax1961

• dcwaites

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is on its way, I'm interested to see how I feel about the balance...

You won't mind for the first few pages, but after that it's a bit of a nuisance.

With the finial swapped, my K316 becomes that magic combination of great looks, comfort in the hand, and handwriting-improving.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Yep.

How is it fitted in place? Trying to twist it did nothing and didn't want to force it too much.

-k

The finials are stuck in by Kaigelu with a heat sensitive glue. If the finial & end of the barrel are heated up to near boiling temperature with boiling water & held at/near that temp for everything to heat up (2-3 mins), then it's possible to twist the finial out. You'll need fireproof fingers, though!

Regards,

Richard.

k, the barrels are turned from acrylic, very strong and very thick. If you're patient the hot water does most of the work, and you are very unlikely to damage anything overcoming the finial's friction fit. See this thread - the barrel is about as thick as the gold ring.

I hope Kaigelu do come out with some more colours, the 316 is a great model.

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

k, the barrels are turned from acrylic, very strong and very thick. If you're patient the hot water does most of the work, and you are very unlikely to damage anything overcoming the finial's friction fit. See this thread - the barrel is about as thick as the gold ring.

I hope Kaigelu do come out with some more colours, the 316 is a great model.

I agree!

Un istante ripetuto nel tempo diventa Eterno!

I, too, agree that it would be nice id Kaigelu came out with more colours.

However, the variation in the amber/grey resin between pens is almost enough to satisfy the need for different colours.

I also wish Parker would use Kaigelu's charcoal resin for their Duofold. I think the Kaigelu Charcoal resin is the most attractive black I have seen in any pen. Full Stop.

I suppose I need to experiment with translucent black and mica dust in the resin to try to replicate it myself.

Regards,

Richard.

Wow. That thing really is a boat anchor. The balance of the pen (uncapped of course) is almost at the 1/3 point ... close to the top. That's messed up. Such a good pen otherwise though.

I wish they'd make the following changes (fat chance)

• A higher quality clip
  • A Bordeux twirl color scheme in addition to the ones they have
  • And of course get rid of the top that was seeming carved from the immensely dense core of a White Dwarf.

-k

Wateryflow,

I don't like the white with black stripe so much. The reason is that the white is very transparent and you can see the nib & convertor through the cap/barrel. I don't like that, and ended up spraying the inside of my one with white car body primer (which seems to stick very well to the resin).

The best price I have found for these is in this seller's e-bay listings http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaigelu-kangaroo-316-Amber-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-Without-Box-/331332209231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d24f04a4f Run by YC Guo, an occasionally visiting member on FPN.

Regards,

Richard

Wateryflow,

I don't like the white with black stripe so much. The reason is that the white is very transparent and you can see the nib & convertor through the cap/barrel. I don't like that, and ended up spraying the inside of my one with white car body primer (which seems to stick very well to the resin).

The best price I have found for these is in this seller's e-bay listings http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaigelu-kangaroo-316-Amber-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-Without-Box-/331332209231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d24f04a4f Run by YC Guo, an occasionally visiting member on FPN.

Regards,

Richard

Is a serious seller also has a sale on taobao, I buy only from him, also accepts offers so the price is sometimes treatable
Riccardo
PS
when they are ready for your pinnacles? I'm anxious to change my pen :)

Wateryflow,

Regards,

Richard

Thanks Richard. I kinda see what you mean, but in this case the overall effect with the black and white creates a nice contrast and gives it a certain uniqueness.

Other colors I think is possible without effort, we can see the green in the 806 series Crocodile, sister of Kaigelu 316, we hope to exchange the colors. :)

when they are ready for your pinnacles? I'm anxious to change my pen :)

I am trying. I was hoping to finish machining them this weekend, then polish this coming week. Unfortunately I have a chimney to fit for a stove today (knocked the hole in the wall yesterday) and it needs finishing. Making finials is also slightly weather dependant. I do need weather warmer than the current 4C.

Regards,

Richard

I am trying. I was hoping to finish machining them this weekend, then polish this coming week. Unfortunately I have a chimney to fit for a stove today (knocked the hole in the wall yesterday) and it needs finishing. Making finials is also slightly weather dependant. I do need weather warmer than the current 4C.

Regards,

Richard

:thumbup: fantastic|

ciao

Riccardo

It's mostly opaque. It is possible to distinguish the gold convertor central bar and nib if you know what you're looking for and they move. Not easy though.

In my review of the amber/grey (here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/204770-kaigelu-316-grey-amber/ ) I said:

'Due to the semi-transparent nature of the amber part of the acrylic, it is possible to see the gold coloured nib moving up and down the cap when removing the cap. This is peculiar and I'm not too keen on it. This does slightly detract from the overall looks of the pen, but it's not a major issue, and when capped the colour of the nib looks like a feature of the material.'

Regards,

Richard.

That's my experience too. The gold coloured parts of the nib and converter are just perceptible if you know they're there, but they blend so readily with the overall colour make up of the cap and barrel that they are perfectly camouflaged until you move them. I don't find it at all noticeable or distracting.

Now I think of it, the threads of the cap are visible and I find that a bit unsightly.