• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• attika89

• Fabienne

• randomthinks

I'll do a comparison tonight. :)

Any other comparison requests with these inks?

Oh yes, pretty please, could you do a comparison of yama-dori with the iroshizukus ku-jaku and tsuki-yo?

-- Constance

I'll do a comparison tonight. :)

Any other comparison requests with these inks?

Well, let's see, how about Miru-ai v. Iroshizuki Syo-ro and/or Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black and/or (and I bet you don't have this one ;) ) Noodler's Pinstripe Homage...

Sorry for being a wiseacre and making extra work! I guess I'm most curious about it versus Aircorp, keep hearing people linking the two...I'm hoping Miru-ai leans blue...

Thanks!

+1 for Miruai vs Syo-Ro, as well as Miruai vs Yama-Dori, if you have them. Souten vs Sky High and/or Kon-Peki, Noodler's Blue, or Liberty's Elysium would be interesting as well.

I have to say, Sailor's ink product range is rather confusing to me. So they have their normal Jentle and Nano inks, and then they have their Athena inks, and then they have a bunch of limited edition inks? How many ink lines do they have?

I have to say, Sailor's ink product range is rather confusing to me. So they have their normal Jentle and Nano inks, and then they have their Athena inks, and then they have a bunch of limited edition inks? How many ink lines do they have?

I'm pretty sure that some of the sailor inks are made for resale by a smaller set, or even only a single store. I think the Athena inks are only available in Japan and I know some of the Maruzen inks are available at only one flagship store.

Plus the Bungbox inks and maybe more for special dealers.

Greetings,

Michael

Plus Kingdom Note.

This is common practice. It's no different from the other manufacturers who make inks on behalf of other suppliers, and which are then sold under their own labels. They also have limited editions e.g. Diamine make for a number of stores and pen sellers, and have their Music and Flower special edition sets etc. I believe Diamine make Akkerman's inks, which are bottled by Akkerman in their own specially designed bottles, so making it harder to recognise them as Diamine. I think they make Conway Stewart too?

Sailor make a wide range of specials for pen sellers and department stores in japan, but they are generally recognisable because of their fluted bottle shape (although not always!).

Agree it is confusing. But I can usually recognise a Sailor ink because of its properties and smell. It would be helpful if, when an ink review is done, that the actual manufacturer could be identified too. Or a list of inks and maufactureres started (if there isn't one already).

Verba volant, scripta manent

Plus Kingdom Note.

This is common practice. It's no different from the other manufacturers who make inks on behalf of other suppliers, and which are then sold under their own labels. They also have limited editions e.g. Diamine make for a number of stores and pen sellers, and have their Music and Flower special edition sets etc. I believe Diamine make Akkerman's inks, which are bottled by Akkerman in their own specially designed bottles, so making it harder to recognise them as Diamine. I think they make Conway Stewart too?

Sailor make a wide range of specials for pen sellers and department stores in japan, but they are generally recognisable because of their fluted bottle shape (although not always!).

Agree it is confusing. But I can usually recognise a Sailor ink because of its properties and smell. It would be helpful if, when an ink review is done, that the actual manufacturer could be identified too. Or a list of inks and maufactureres started (if there isn't one already).

I see. I guess it's really not so different from Noodler's ink range, in that Noodler has specialty inks for different countries. I suppose Sailor's various ink lines seem more confusing to me because I can find less documentation for it in English.

Here's the upshot - Sailor has their own regular line. Sometimes they put out LE inks in their own lines, like Montblanc Season's Greeting inks, or the Diamine Music Collection.

Then they also have vendor exclusive inks. Just like Noodler's has some inks that were exclusive to Art Brown, or Diamine has the Deep Dark line of inks exclusive to Cult Pens, Sailor sells inks to stores as exclusive to just that store.

The confusion for me comes in because it seems like Sailor has a HUGE LIST of stores that it sells exclusive ink to. So far I know of Nagasawa (Kobe), Bung Box, Maruzen, Ishida Bungu, Kingdom Note, as well as a mall and another store (I'm working on tracking both down). It seems mind boggling that Sailor makes so many exclusive inks for different stores, but they do.

Okay. So. Comparisons. First off, I find that doing comparisons is a total waste of time if the inks are vastly different from one another. Therefore, I did not compare Miruai to Syo-ro, or to Yama-dori.

This is Miruai ...

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Seasonal%202010%20LE/DSC10624_zps33d2dce3.jpg

... and this is syo-ro.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Pilot/DSC08200.jpg

Comparing that Miruai picture to the Yama-dori above also shows that they are really nothing alike. And if I had known how dissimilar Scabiosa and Shigure were, I probably wouldn't have done a comparison either. However, I had never used my Scabiosa bottle before, so I ended up doing a comparison last night.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC09890_zps1b07f32a.jpg?t=1395161304

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC09891_zps97eabf53.jpg?t=1395161302

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC09892_zps464437e6.jpg?t=1395161300

I love Shigure so much. :)

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC09897_zps1d09c114.jpg?t=1395161289

More pictures here.

I also compared Yama-dori to Ku-jaku and Tsuki-yo.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC09902_zps49483bb5.jpg?t=1395161273

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC09911_zps49d2ab6c.jpg?t=1395161248

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC09909_zpsc0429c88.jpg?t=1395161255

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC09907_zps684a74ad.jpg?t=1395161259

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC09915_zpsd0bfa2c2.jpg?t=1395161238

Lots more pictures here.

I received my tracking number from Atsu early this morning! Should be here in about 10 days.

I also compared Yama-dori to Ku-jaku and Tsuki-yo.

Wow! :notworthy1:

Thank You SO MUCH!

It looks to me that yama-dori is definitely the shading and sheen champ (although I do like the thin outline sheen of the ku-jaku, too). :D

A couple of questions:

Would you say then that the yama-dori's hue is a bit closer to green than ku-jaku (but nowhere near as close to green as syo-ro)?

Is the yama-dori you used for this comparison from the new batch or from your 2010 LE stash?

-- Constance

Yama-dori is definitely the sheen champ! Ku-jaku is gorgeous, but Yama-dori blows it out of the water in terms of shading and sheen.

Yama-dori is more green than Ku-jaku (though it still gives off the impression of being blue), but the main difference between it and Syo-ro is darkness. Yes, Syo-ro is greener, but the main issue is that it is much lighter. Yama-dori is a darker, more colour dense ink.

The Yama-dori is from my old 2010 stash. I'm going to do comparisons between the old and the new ones when the new ones show up.

Yama-dori is definitely the sheen champ! Ku-jaku is gorgeous, but Yama-dori blows it out of the water in terms of shading and sheen.

Yama-dori is more green than Ku-jaku (though it still gives off the impression of being blue), but the main difference between it and Syo-ro is darkness. Yes, Syo-ro is greener, but the main issue is that it is much lighter. Yama-dori is a darker, more colour dense ink.

The Yama-dori is from my old 2010 stash. I'm going to do comparisons between the old and the new ones when the new ones show up.

Thank you so much for doing the comparison! Now I want Yama-dori even more. :puddle: I can't wait for Todd to get it in stock.

The National Science Administration could not have been more thorough! Thank you. I am going to do a comparison between Yama-Dori and Akkerman Shocking Blue. The latter is very high shading and very high sheen. I hope that Y-D has more of both and we shall see!

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Thank you for the comparisons =)

I'm interested in buying a bottle now.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

sasika, thank you for those comparisons. The scale and writing samples and blocks capture the details I really wanted to see.

Sailor ought to be given you payments for helping them out so much :)

Have you done reviews or comparisons for all their other sailor special inks?

Thanks!