Jinhao's 599, Now Even More Lamy-Like

k3eax

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUNTAIN-PEN-JINHAO-NEW-PRODUCT-599-18KGP-MEDIUM-NIB-YELLOW-SILVER-JJ346-/390788958190?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5afcd647ee

It seems that there is now, in a plastic rather than metal, an even more Lamy-like version of Jinhao's 599. I've ordered two of these but have yet to receive. However, I have received several of the 599's metal version and found them to be smooth writers and an excellent value for money.

Al

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrcharlie

• Sailor Kenshin

• KBeezie

• TSherbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to add to my above posting that I own both several Lamy Safaris,Lamy Safari-like Hero 359, and several newly acquired Lamy Safari-like Jinhao 599's. The performance variation in writing between all is negligible. These differences are certainly no greater than the performance variations between two "identical" Lamys.

Al

I'm rather curious about the affect the above postings have had on readers' intentions. Has anyone ordered, or intend to order, the plastic version of the Jinhao 599?

Richard, the pen to which you refer is actually a Jinhao 699, a somewhat different design in both the ball and fountain versions.

Hi guys,

Just curious, can the nib be swapped onto an existing lamy? I do prefer the spade shape.

EDIT: k3eax told me, it can't =(

Edited by Tenkai

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

I'm rather curious about the affect the above postings have had on readers' intentions. Has anyone ordered, or intend to order, the plastic version of the Jinhao 599?

Me me meeeee!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've had two days of pen addiction comedy that I'm sure you can all appreciate. I saw the 599 out on eBay and was not all that interested in the FP so I went for the RB instead and picked up a red and a white one. I buy up a bunch of Chinese pens mostly out of curiosity and the low price point, and I like the random surprise in the mailbox when they arrive.

I get the two 599 RB pens and my first impression was "arrgh -- very glossy." They are solid, and the clip is lovely and tight, but right away my mind went to where these pens could go sideways. If the finish chips (likely) then you get exposed brass, and the lower edge of the cap will undoubtedly brass on or near the edge. Not that these are "forever" pens by any means but you get where I'm going.

The screw-in refill setup was impressive (I think the Jinhao 159 has this too), that they would go to the trouble of adding the threaded part, but I swapped the refill for a Pentel one right away because the refills from China are pretty bad. For the writing experience I really like the pen unposted, but whoa man with the cap on they are unruly. Generally I find that to be the huge failing of Chinese pens, that the balance is terrible. Recently I got a Hero 1000 and it writes beautifully, but it has the same issue of terrible balance and the chip-prone finish.

The white 599 RB has a slight blemish on the finish and I scraped it with my fingernail and thar she blows -- off goes a chip of the finish. Right away I thought the finishes would be really cheap and bad, but that pen may have been more defective than others. I've been using the red one all week and it seems pretty good. Cap snaps on with a death grip, so that is nice.

Now on to the comedy. I have the pens and get to thinking I miss the Safari's I've had before, so I order one of the graphite Al Stars. Then I see that iSellPens has steel Lamy nibs for $4! So I buy a few of those. Then I see the demonstrator 599s, notice they have normal nibs, and I figure ah what the heck. I'll give them a try. And lastly I decided to get another white one and use the defective pen for parts as needed.

I guess my interest in the Chinese pens centers around seeing what they can do and what works, or doesn't, from a design standpoint. Clearly just fabricating something with brass and a thin finish doesn't do the trick because balance is critical to a pen. And caps are all over the place -- some are super tight and others fall right off. But once in a while you get something interesting like the Jinhao 159 with good construction, cap threads, and a nice material for the body. If these 599s hold up in terms of finish they may qualify for decent EDC pens.

Graham

I just learned there are 599 demonstrators. i think I'm doomed.

Me too. Resistance is useless!

Now on to the comedy. I have the pens and get to thinking I miss the Safari's I've had before, so I order one of the graphite Al Stars. Then I see that iSellPens has steel Lamy nibs for $4! So I buy a few of those. Then I see the demonstrator 599s, notice they have normal nibs, and I figure ah what the heck. I'll give them a try. And lastly I decided to get another white one and use the defective pen for parts as needed.

It's funny how pen purchases seem to snowball like that, especially when inexpensive Chinese pens are involved. I mean, not that I've ever done anything like that before... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the mini-review. I'd noticed that the plastic ones have normal-looking nibs, which is a huge plus for me. And I'll watch out for the finish issues if I'm ever considering a metal 599. My Kaigelu 356 is chipping like that, and it's driving me nuts.

I bought this last month, It is the first experience with Chinese pens that impressed me.

What model is the pen that's second from left in the second picture? Also, is the one in the middle a Jinhao X450 or X750? Just curious, for scale.

2nd from Left: a HERO something-or-other, Middle is X450. I picked two from column A and one from column B. A half hour later you're hungry for a real fountain pen!

I have been using my new 599 for a week now. I love the bigger Jinhao nib (medium)! I smoothed it just a little, and I actually prefer it to the Lamy medium. The pen is a lighter plastic, and some of the edges are sharp, but I have the creamsicle orange color and I have Diamine Coral in it and am happy as an (orange) clam with my $5.99 (ebay) investment.

My two new Jinhao 599's are leaving Guangzhou as we speak/type/read?,

At least timing wise they are at the processing station since yesterday. A Jinhao #159 (hope it doesn't overload the plane) that shipped from the same place in China the previous day is in Chicago as of last night. Don't know what the weekend will do if anything. The Chinese seem to work 24/7.

Had I not seen the posting on the new Jinhao version I would not have bid on these two sight unseen. I was looking at some ink convertors and these two were languishing with no bids. I just had to do the "write" thing and adopt them. Riding home with the two 599's is a Baoer Blk/Brass 509 Eight Horses. Another that needed to be adopted. Now I will be obsessed to get their stable mates in the other two colors. Does this ever get better?

I was not sure the 599's were a plastic version, but had the look on the posting thru eBay. I re-read the posting and in the small print it says

"Plastics, environmental protection material"

I'd just as soon have the plastic version. I have other Jinhaos that are heavy and well made. I don't mind the plastic on this new model as they will hopefully be casual carry pens.

So thanks for the input and identification. I appreciate it!

My only pending dilemma is what to put in the Jinhao 159 and these 599's. Goulet has been out of Ancient Copper and it is killing me not buying a new ink for the "new kids"...... then I'll have to feed the eight horses too. What do you think - something in a light Oat color?

What do you do about Ink withdrawal? Is there any cure for it??

Iro Ina-ho.

I've used the bright orange Jinhao 599 for about a week now, filled with the exactly-matching Chesterfield Fire Opal. I get a kick every time I use it.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

So the 599 pens that look like this are painted metal? But they have a Lamy type flat looking nib/feed.

And then the link in the first post is plastic but the nib/feed looks conventional?