The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Another Parker Penman Sapphire Replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:02

I misread a post on the FPN which made me think that Diamine Majestic Blue was a fair replacement for Parker Penman Sapphire. Checking through the board, however, it seems other people think so as well. Anyway, I had some Majestic Blue, so I tried it, and it needed diluting. I eventually settled on a 3 : 2 dilution of DMB with water.

Wonder of wonders, it was almost spot on. The colour is still a tiny tad off, the DMB being a little bit flatter than the PPS. However, in separate samples (not side by side) it is difficult to tell which is which. The diluted DMB looks like it needs the addition of a little bit of a bright Blue, perhaps a little Diamine Sapphire.

However, the important thing is that both inks, PPS and diluted DMB, behave on paper almost identically. The both dry quickly, there is usually (except on the worst of papers) no feathering, there is no spreading and bleeding only occurs on the worst of papers. And when bleeding does happen, it happens to the same degree with both inks. Both inks also show similar degrees of shading and red sheen.

Once I find another bright Diamine ink that behaves on paper as well as these two, I will see if I can shift the diluted DMB towards a slightly brighter blue.

Here is a scan of a writing sample --

fpn_1394326706__scan_9-adj-scaled.jpg

It is a bit teal coloured from the original, but what I wanted to show was the very slight difference between the two inks. Most of the text is written with DMB diluted in a Lamy Vista Fine, but the area underlined in pencil was with a Parker 100 Fine.

The Samples at the bottom are self explanatory, except the bit that says DMB 1:1 should say DMB 3:2

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Sponsored Content

#2 Italicist

Italicist

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:25

Thank you, sir, for experimenting with this ink and saving everyone else a great deal of time in experimenting to find the right dilution factor. The two inks are remarkably similar; if I look very closely at the samples side by side, I can detect a slight difference, but I would never have seen it if I hadn't been alerted to look for it. This looks like a fine replacement for Penman Sapphire -- and with minimal mixing, to boot.

#3 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:57

So. Is the diluted Majestic Blue closer to PPS than the DCW Noodler's and PR Faux Penman Sapphires?  :huh:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#4 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:41

Yes, but stay tuned. More excitement coming...

See here

Edited by dcwaites, 09 March 2014 - 05:08.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Sponsored Content

|