Yes as the title say.
I love tweaking stuff.
Seeing the Vanishing Point that my friend got as well as the Lamy Dialog 3. I got a weird idea. Why not try making one? (and also because I am a poor student)
I attached a rough idea of how the pen is gonna be like.
What I am using is a glue stick + Platinum Preppy + a PVC tubing or whatever to create the case.
Potential problems I see is:
- Nib will dry up
- No pocket clip
- Pen maybe too fat?
- Possible leakage
What do you guys think?
I don't think I'll post in the original thread (not too sure if it's necro).
But here's my update, currently still open to ideas.
I have no penturning skills so this is probably ugly, probably the pros here can do much better than I can ever achieve.
My idea of a retractable pen is:-
- Clicky type, must be able to be used with one hand.
- Can withstand drops somewhat. And even if it drops and the nib bends, it probably doesn't feel that bad if it's easily replaceable.
In addition, I used a preppy for a few reasons:-
- It's cheap and easily replaceable.
- I have a preppy at home which I am no longer using anymore, so I thought a frankenpen would save money.
- Not have pens sitting at home go to waste.
Currently this is what I have gotten so far to make it:-
Parts after modifying:
My current issues are:-
- The clipped attached even with gorilla glue might not survive clipping to shirts continuously.
- I have no trapdoor, might consider using a varsity felt feed with nib to hopefully get longer uncapped life. I'm gonna try with a smaller opening to see if it helps.
- Building a trap door will be external maybe in a form of a 2ml tube with a cap joined by a hairclip spring.
- Using a retractable sharpie/highlighter doesn't seem to work.
- The current pen body is 14mm thick, but if just used for a short time, shouldn't be too annoying.
- The current pen body is rather long, I could cut a portion of the preppy barrel away then glue a cap over, but might make it very brittle.
At the end, I'll probably paint the body with acrylic paint so it wouldn't be that ugly.