Ebay Seller Mpcac Offering Pen Repairs - Does Anyone Know More?

Plume145

My take on this subject is I will pass on 99% of Parker 51's [ Vac/Areo ] & Vac's on ebay that exceeds $50 with shipping for a pen in an AS IS not restored. If there is a pen set I may go to $80 depending on the pen. Now I go to local live auctions where there and pens advertised or looking at the listing [example 80yrs at same place or 2nd or 3rd generation family home .] You see I live near the birthplace of The Parker Pen Company. I watch other pen buyers at these auctions and I learn what is the wholesale price for these P51's & Vac's sell for depending on the pen model. I have yet to pay more than $50 on one pen that needs restoration.

Back in Feb. I paid $280 at an auction which was nine pen lot. One Vac pencil, one Sheaffer FP, one Wahl FP and six Parkers [ 5 Vac's ] one was a 1st gen and one Lucky curve ring top. My average price for each pen $30. I going to an auction this week that has a few pens in the listing [ murphyauctions.com ] take a look. What would bid for these pens?

I have done the research on how to do the restoration on my Parkers, purchase the tools and supplies and learning each time when I bring a pen back to life. Now if I would start selling the pens that I restored from my collection I would start it around $70-$80. But I have a ways to go be for that happens. I do sell time to time other brands that I pick up at these auctions. They are always listed AS IS Used. As I learn more on this hobby I gain more knowledge.

So in closing $80 for a fountain pen that needs restoration I'll pass on by. Less than $50 I'll play.

Ken

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Estott

• kazoolaw

• Plume145

He refurbished a Parker Vac I picked up from a different seller last year. He did a great job and even fixed the bent nib without charging any extra. It was actually a fairly out of whack nib. His items for sale might be expensive but I found his service fairly cheap and of good quality.

fpn_1386003453__keroro_mad.gifであります!

Bruce in Ocala, Fl,

You really need to take a break before you post with ALL CAPS and miscellaneous Capitalizations.

And, you don't sound the least bit sorry.

Read twice, post once. Or in this case, hit delete.

gary

Pahleese.

Until the day comes that You are made a Moderator on this site, when, where, or how, I so desire to place what I feel is required emphasis within my posts is frankly, None of your concern.

If you don't like the post, I presume Your computer has a Delete key too.

Oh, and you are correct on One point. I am not sorry for something there's no need for me to be sorry for.

Have bought pens from mpac and even had him refurbish them for me. Never had any complaints. If you don't like him or what he does OR his prices, "walk" on by. There are plenty of others you can buy from.

Please see my above post. It applies to you too.

I didn't start this thread. As I see it, it is a discussion of this person's Ebay listings and concerns about his wares and his work. I simply voiced what I felt are valid observations of mine and my opinions drawn therefrom. EXACTLY the type of information I would like to read if I were considering bidding on one of his items. Nothing I posted nor the way I posted it is against forum rules. (IMO)

If you disagree, that is certainly your prerogative, but Please don't try and tell me again, what, where, or how I should post.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Perhaps some clarification is prudent for those here who apparently have reading comprehension difficulties.

In my post I CLEARLY stated that I was Not addressing this person's repair abilities. As I said, he may well be Richard Binder's Equal in that area so far as I know.

I simply addressed his Listings and to some degree the way he is doing business so far as requiring an additional purchase for a listed item to be made serviceable. Chrissy makes an Excellent point, I too thought that Ebay Requires the item to be in working order or Clearly identified as Not being in that condition. Saying maybe it Is in working order, maybe it Isn't in working order may Very Well Not be within Ebay rules. (I don't sell that much, so I'm not so up to speed there.) If he is such a Hot Shot, Why Doesn't he know the exact condition of each and every pen he is listing? Why is he leaving that up in the air for the bidder to figure out for themself? After all, HE is the alleged pen expert here.

Again, whether the pens he sells that Are serviceable are good deals or not or IF he is a capable repairperson or not Wasn't something either I nor my post was concerned with.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Oh SUCH snarkiness about such a gentle hobby.

<Missing clapping hands emoticon X Pi!!> I Absolutely could Not agree More!

It is perhaps the Epitome of Snarkiness to presume that you as a member of any net forum should attempt to dictate to other members What they should post about or How they should post it according to your personal wishes and desires.

Thank you for your post!

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Getting back to my original inquiry.....

I'm glad to hear some approval of his repair skills, considering that I've paid the money & my pens are on the way.

This has been more informative than another pen forum I'm in, which is mostly a mutual admiration show and tell society.

Pahleese.

Until the day comes that You are made a Moderator on this site, when, where, or how, I so desire to place what I feel is required emphasis within my posts is frankly, None of your concern.

If you don't like the post, I presume Your computer has a Delete key too.

Oh, and you are correct on One point. I am not sorry for something there's no need for me to be sorry for.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Dear Bruce,

Did you notice the post of yours I quoted said you were sorry? But, now you're not.

If you feel moved to offer your critiques of eBay listings which you don't approve of, a comment on your crankiness should come as no surprise. [insert old saying here: sauce for the goose..., live by the sword....]

Carry on,

gary

Sorry if I sound hot under the collar but after I spend all day going through Ebay listings, it does nothing but waste my time to even have tocursor Past his crappy listings.

How presumptuous of that fellow, for daring to post stuff on Ebay that doesnt meet your approval and wasting your invaluable time by forcing you to scroll past his listings? Have you tried complaining to Ebay and getting his account closed?

I didn't start this thread. As I see it, it is a discussion of this person's Ebay listings and concerns about his wares and his work. I simply voiced what I felt are valid observations of mine and my opinions drawn therefrom. EXACTLY the type of information I would like to read if I were considering bidding on one of his items. Nothing I posted nor the way I posted it is against forum rules. (IMO)

Actually, this post was asking about the quality of his work and your post does not in any way answer that question, but merely casts aspersions on his abilities based on extrapolations made from your evaluation of his Ebay selling skills (which is not really relevant). There is absolutely nothing other than irrelevant conjecture in your posts and as far as I know, that sort of mud-slinging or negative insinuations ARE against board rules. Whatever - that's up to the mods to decide.

Back on topic - I am glad to know he does good work. I have a couple of vintage pens I'd like to have restored/polished and I think i may take him up on that. Supporting an "old school" guy would be an added bonus. Thanks for the OP, OP :)

Edited by de_pen_dent

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Well, the pens came back today a nice fast turnaround.

The snorkel fills and writes fine - it was in pretty bad shape, now it's respectable. Thumbs Up.

I can't entirely judge the 51 yet - I haven't filled it since I have four pens full of ink right now, and leaving the 51 full of ink was how it clogged in the first place.

I will say that there is a slight mismatch where the blind cap meets the barrel- I realize this is a problem with vacumatic filler repairs and takes some fuss to get right. There wasn't one when the Bromfield Pen Shop repaired it- but on the other hand they charged more and took longer.

Assuming that the pen will fill, I can live with the slight misalignment - no permanent harm done. Not quite a thumbs up, but no complaints.

Verdict: the repairs are serviceable, but you get what you pay for.

I've known Michael Clague since sometime in the mid-1990s, I'm thinking around 1995. That was back in the early days of online pen forums. I can't speak for his pen repair skills, but I know he's been repairing pens since at least the mid-1990s. I have bought batches of pens from him in the past and all were as described and very reasonable, keep in mind these were wholesale type groups of pens, un-restored.

I'm beyond sad and to be honest, a bit shocked to see Michael get put down so harshly because his eBay listings might not meet someone's satisfaction.

Sam

I wouldn't go so far as to 'put him down' as I have never had any dealings with him. However, in part echoing what some others have said, his prices for unrestored stock seem high when restored pens can be, and are had, for the same price. Maybe this is acceptable if you are into restoration, but for people like me it smacks of the 'hidden airline cost' mentality. Besides which, you can hardly blame people for forming impressions based on the information that they are given.

Edited by Cryptos

Ok. I was completely ready to let this dead dog of a thread lie.

I will post one more post about it though somewhat in response to those who feel the need to crucify the messenger.

Allow me to acquaint you with some Facts to go along with your points of emotion.

Fact 1 This subforum has been very commonly used in the past to both post and respond to posts about Fleabay listings people have issues with. Just in the past 30 days there have been, not counting this one, 5 other threads where people were complaining or wondering about questionable listings. Many of those posts, for example the ones about Firebreakline were Also somewhat vehement in their opining.

Fact 2 The OP of this thread ask for input. He did not specify that he Wasn't interested in the quality of the listings themselves. He asked for input, I gave him what I felt was Valid input.

Fact 3 For those responding with Just points of emotion, NONE of You were impacted In Any Way by these poor listings. I Was. And I wasn't happy about it. I have a right to voice that unhappiness and I did so. Over a 2 week period, I on several occasions wasted a good amount of time looking at his listings before I was able to get enough of a handle on how they looked to Not have to actually open up the listing to tell they were his. Unfortunately, Fleabay Doesn't place the seller ID on the thumbnail previews of listings, I had to Open the listings to figure that out myself. I might also point out this inconvenience was experienced while going though approximately 800-1000 Fleabay listings A Week, we Aren't talking about any momentary inconvenience here.

Lastly some Concrete Evidence for those of you So Ready to put the Ogre label on the messenger for his vehemence in stating his opinions. Perhaps you might temper Your points of Emotion with these Facts.

The listings I was mainly speaking of were P-51 listings. As I do A LOT of searching on Fleabay for those, Those are the ones that I had the problems with.

In the past 3 months this seller has had 93 P-51 pen listings. MOST of those are the same pens, relisted time after time after time with no changes in the listings or prices. There IS a saying that has some credence. Insanity is making the same mistakes over and over again and expecting a difference result each time.

In these 3 months of this P-51 listing insanity, out of those 93 listings, only TWELVE have sold. Or, 12.9%

To those here who may list yourself or even better yet, be in business yourself, just how successful would your business be, how long would you Stay in business and how long would you Continue your efforts Unchanged In Method without finding Some way to improve if Only 13% of what you had to sell, sold?

Hmm?

So. It Wasn't Just that Ogre of a messenger that spoke loudly and clearly about these listings, the Vast Majority of Everyone Else who has seen them has spoken very loudly and clearly Too in Their Failure to buy Anything from them.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

<Applause>

Well said Bruce.

As an inexperienced Ebay buyer even I have trouble with these listings. There is nothing about them that remotely attracts me to buy. I cannot comment on his repair skills as I don't know what they are, but people say he is good so... I am happy to accept that.

Incidentally Bruce, do you know how many of those 12.9% of sales achieved a price significantly above the initial listing price? I would look myself but haven't quite figured out how to search that way - I are dumb!

Cryptos, I have wasted more time on him than I care to already. You my friend can have a go at it if you wish.

For future reference if you go to Advanced Search by the regular search box, you'll find the tab on the left to search for a certain member. When you find his page, you'll see a tab that says Show sellers items, click that. Here is That for him.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mpcac/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_trksid=p3692

On the left you can click on Completed Listings. In that search box you can search for specific items he has listed. That is where I typed in Parker 51. I excluded the 4-5 listings and results for his "repair services".

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I did think mpcac was a little cooky with the repair offers with the pen listings. I did buy a Pelikan M1000 from him for about $260. Couldn't pass it up. No danger of wanting a refurb on that pen. There are a lot of characters selling on ebay, and I have been such myself from time to time.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Ok. I was completely ready to let this dead dog of a thread lie.

I will post one more post about it though somewhat in response to those who feel the need to crucify the messenger.

Allow me to acquaint you with some Facts to go along with your points of emotion.

Fact 1 This subforum has been very commonly used in the past to both post and respond to posts about Fleabay listings people have issues with. Just in the past 30 days there have been, not counting this one, 5 other threads where people were complaining or wondering about questionable listings. Many of those posts, for example the ones about Firebreakline were Also somewhat vehement in their opining.

Fact 2 The OP of this thread ask for input. He did not specify that he Wasn't interested in the quality of the listings themselves. He asked for input, I gave him what I felt was Valid input.

Fact 3 For those responding with Just points of emotion, NONE of You were impacted In Any Way by these poor listings. I Was. And I wasn't happy about it. I have a right to voice that unhappiness and I did so. Over a 2 week period, I on several occasions wasted a good amount of time looking at his listings before I was able to get enough of a handle on how they looked to Not have to actually open up the listing to tell they were his. Unfortunately, Fleabay Doesn't place the seller ID on the thumbnail previews of listings, I had to Open the listings to figure that out myself. I might also point out this inconvenience was experienced while going though approximately 800-1000 Fleabay listings A Week, we Aren't talking about any momentary inconvenience here.

Lastly some Concrete Evidence for those of you So Ready to put the Ogre label on the messenger for his vehemence in stating his opinions. Perhaps you might temper Your points of Emotion with these Facts.

The listings I was mainly speaking of were P-51 listings. As I do A LOT of searching on Fleabay for those, Those are the ones that I had the problems with.

In the past 3 months this seller has had 93 P-51 pen listings. MOST of those are the same pens, relisted time after time after time with no changes in the listings or prices. There IS a saying that has some credence. Insanity is making the same mistakes over and over again and expecting a difference result each time.

In these 3 months of this P-51 listing insanity, out of those 93 listings, only TWELVE have sold. Or, 12.9%

To those here who may list yourself or even better yet, be in business yourself, just how successful would your business be, how long would you Stay in business and how long would you Continue your efforts Unchanged In Method without finding Some way to improve if Only 13% of what you had to sell, sold?

Hmm?

So. It Wasn't Just that Ogre of a messenger that spoke loudly and clearly about these listings, the Vast Majority of Everyone Else who has seen them has spoken very loudly and clearly Too in Their Failure to buy Anything from them.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I can't get over how you are always looking for a pat on the back. No one asked you to do listings at yet you feel compelled to give your opinion about everything.

Sometimes I think you talk just to hear you own voice.

EDIT: I know I'm just as guilty as him about derailing this thread with an offtopic comment. I do see the irony in it and do apologize.

Edited by NCGibbon

I've purchased from mpcac years ago, a painless pre-ebay purchase. His description was accurate and the pen was excellent.