Ebay Seller Mpcac Offering Pen Repairs - Does Anyone Know More?

Plume145

Hi all, I was looking through ebay for a starter kit to do my own repairs when I encountered this listing. Their feedback is absolutely stellar (seriously, 100% on as many transactions as they have, wow) but the first several transactions I looked at were pen listings, not repair listings, so I don't feel any wiser.

Arguably the pens he sells he repaired himself, so if people liked those he must be doing something right :P But I don't know for sure that he does the repairs himself (or herself), right?

Not to mention, with repairing pens people send in to you, it's a little more complicated in terms of logistics and customer service etc than repairing pens you bought as stock and then reselling them after they're all repaired. It's not enough to just be good at repairing the pens; you also need a reliable system for keeping track of individual preferences (eg about nib adjustment), stay on top of comms for updates etc or to make decisions in case of problems coming up during the repair, maybe even meet deadlines if people have them (I wouldn't with my pens, but others might and if a repair tech had trouble with those it would affect the service that I got as well). You know?

So, I'm wondering: do you have experience with them, and if so what was it? If not, do you know anyone I could talk to who does? I'm especially interested in anyone outside the US who may have used their services (because of international shipping issues) but really, any feedback would be welcome :)

Edited by Plume145

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Estott

• kazoolaw

• Plume145

I saw one of his listings and contacted him. I decided not to send any pens to him because in his response mail he came across as kind of a condescending jerk. Whether or not he is I can't say definitively, but that's how he came across (in his defense, I know someone from another non-pen forum who is annoying as heck when posting -- and who apparently peeved people off to the point that she got fired from a *volunteer* position in an educational not-for-profit organization by that organization's board of directors -- but is a hoot and a half in person; so YMMV).

I did think that the screen name sounded familiar, though, so I looked him up in the members list here on FPN. He (or someone with the same screen name) is (or was) on here, but had made very few postings.

That's the sum total of my experience. Sorry I can't be more help.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It does help a lot, thanks ruth :) I think I'll take a wait and see approach probably!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

I have been hoping someone longer established in the fountain-pen community than I am would address this question. But no such person has, so here I go.

mpcac stands for Michael P. Clague Antiques and Collectibles. There used to be a Web site of that name, where Mike Clague sold pens and offered repair services. For his own reasons he took it down.

Mike Clague is one of the ancients of this little hobby. He goes back to before almost anybody who posts much on this board. Before eBay, before the Web. Before some of us were born. He was certainly around when I got started, in 2002, in the Usenet newsgroup acpp, on the Zoss list, on Pentrace in earlier times. Tony Fischier's thank-you page on parkerpens.net thanks him among other people familiar to me. That is a pretty good place to be mentioned in despatches.

This isn't the first FPN thread asking about him. Here is another:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/79395-anybody-know-this-guy/

It is funny that Tom Mullane, posting as Old Griz, a literal graybeard, would describe Mike Clague as an unknown restorer. Everybody is somebody's, um, newcomer, as they didn't quite say in the 1960s.

There are in the pen community quite a few people who don't bother with entities like FPN but who are collectors on the most extravagant scale or who are as well known for pen repair as they wish to be. As for Mike Clague's coming across as an odd duck, being a collector predisposes to oddity. dealing with collectors aggravates, and living in a town called Estherville, Iowa, can be pretty gothic. Frank Dubiel, of Fall River, Massachusetts, and Nathan Tardif, of another town in eastern Massachusetts, were born nearer the Atlantic but became environmentally odd, I should say. Incompetent, I would not say. Before Noodler's inks Nathan did the most marvelous nib work. Businesslike demeanor, no. Fundamentally sweet men, both of them.

Haha, thanks for the generous outlay of info Jerome :-) (AND for the humorous way it's given - had to google Estherville, Iowa, and I think I know what you mean - so thoroughly normal in every way, except for the stonking great piece of rock that fell out of the sky 150 years ago :P) The older thread you linked to was also really informative, so thanks. I realize now I should have googled first, but it never crossed my mind that it would go back that far! I don't know why, I just never checked his ebay join date, only the feedback.

It sounds intriguing, but for now I will probably hold off. I'm getting advice elsewhere on the boards for picking out a repair kit, so I might do some easy stuff myself, and I'm still hoping I will turn up a repair tech I can afford, either somewhere far or even locally (local being Athens, Greece). Neither seems terribly likely at this point, tbh, hence the repair kit shopping, but hey, hope springs eternal, right?

Edited by Plume145

Back in the old internet days Michael's site had lists of pen descriptions. No photos.

I bought a Waterman pen, which worked well, and was exactly as described.

More recently I bought a pen from him on ebay. It worked well, and was exactly as described.

Makes you wonder how we bought pens from across the country in the old days. Won't mention the photocopied newsletters by subscription, ala Avalon Pens.

gary

De je vous. Didn't I see this same thread just a couple months ago?

I consider myself a noob, I re-enlisted in the FP brigade about three yeas ago, I don't know much more about pens than I did then, but my awareness of how much I don't know has expanded exponentially. It's a good thing I have rubbed up against so many people who know so much about pens, I mean that sincerely.

One of the things I didn't know was that one needed a stamp of approval from FPN to be considerered trustworthy, or just plain worthy. I like this place and all the knowledge that flows without reservation. But I worry that someone who flies under the radar, who does not do the FPN dance, might bre denigrated for being an 'unknown entity'. Keeping to oneself seems almost suspect these days. There was a time when such folk were drowned for being 'witches'.

I have a real weakness for Vacumatics, and so I have bought a number of pens from Michael, each one I have paid the extra $25 for the re-sac and cleaning. I have also sent him pens I bought from others that were not fuctional for him to put right.

In every case except one (maybe 8 or 10 pens,... I told you I have a Vacumatic 'problem') I have been completely satisfied with the result. He does not over sell, does not make his offerings out to be any better than they are, and he always delivers the work as promised AND ...... very promptly. If you have not noticed, turnaround time has become a significant factor.

That one time? He reset a nib for me and it was not quite deep enough. When I told him about it he apologized all over himself, advised me not to tighten the cap down, and urged me to immediately return the pen to him for a re-fix. He made it right and sent it back to me. I can't remember if he reimbursed me for postage, but that might have been the case.

In a world of instant gratification, social media, and necessary self promiotion I thought he might be just a bit eccentric, private or what we really mean when we say old school. I can't say you will be blown away by his work, or that you will be disgusted, remember I'm a noob, so consider the source, but I would (and likely will) buy again from Michael without hesitation.

Edited by DrCodfish

Never have I experienced a problem with Mike. Seems like a good guy retired in small town Iowa keeping himself active. Give him try.

I got my Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral from him for about 41$ in an auction, in his listing he did mention that the sac is original and might not fill, but for an extra 'fee' ($25) he can replace the sac and clean it up. I decided to forgo that option, and he shipped the pen very securely inside of a thick PVC tube. (When I received it, it did indeed need a new sac and seals as it wouldn't fill at all, something that could have been easily tested beforehand in my opinion, but it is what it is).

I instead went with Sean Nicolson ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Write-on-Time-Vintage-Pens-Watches-Restoration-and-Service/208871225809681 ) to restore my pen completely for $35 which included return shipping cost, full restoration (seals/sac, etc replaced, nib polished, adjusted etc) and testing. Plus he guarantees the pen for a year related to the restoration.

The result was great, I got a quick and secure shipment from Mpcac, and the restoration by Sean I ended up with a very nice Snorkel

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/sheaffer_snorkel_close.jpg

I would not hesitate to buy a pen from Mpcac again, but I can't comment on the quality of his restoration because I've never had the fortune of using his restoration/repair services. But his communication was great and he shipped the pen securely.

edit: This was the original listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-Snorkel-Fountain-Pen-Black-GFT-15KT-5-Sheaffer-Nib-/261396704861

Edited by KBeezie

• 3 months later...

Because of the good reports in this thread I'm going to send him my Parker 51 and a Snorkel. The 51 was rebuilt a few years back, but I made the idiotic mistake of letting it dry out full of ink- and my efforts to clear it must have dislodged the sac because inky water squirted out of the plunger end.

Well, I'll tell you this, he can be Richard Binder's CLONE for all I know but his Ebay listings Absolutely SUCK!

He Must Be old school because he doesn't know JACK about selling on Ebay.

And, it's NOT Just me. Funny that he seems to list the Same Pens, Every Week. Few If Any of them selling. (You MIGHT think he'd get some kind of a clue about the 3rd week in a row of having to relist the same pens...)

He has Bunches of all kinds of different 51's but for some insane reason he puts almost the exact pricing on all of them, WAY TOO HIGH of a start price. Not to mention that Most, if not ALL of them Aren't ready to write unless you pay him Extra to make them that way. He only has 2 or 3 pics that aren't very good and show little of the pen for sale, WAY too little for Anyone to risk spending their hard earned money on.

His descriptions are also very cursory though he at least seems to note the most obvious defects. If he's so damn hot, why doesn't he FIX Some of these damn pens Before he tries to sell them?

Screw that.

I just finished this week's Fleabay listings and Finally Put who was being discussed here together with his listings. I can Assure You I won't be recommending A Damn One of them. In fact, now that I recognize them, I just BLAST on past them like they were for the cheap Chinese junk pens. I don't even bother opening up the listing anymore. If I could figure out a way to minus them out so I didn't have to see them to start with, I would.

I don't know if he's gone senile from The Crackerjack some here say he is or if he's so old school he's Absolutely Clueless how to sell anything on Ebay but I do and will contine to avoid his listings like a West Memphis hooker. :rolleyes:

I was honestly Shocked As Hell to put the listings together with this person some are speaking so highly of here.

Sorry if I sound hot under the collar but after I spend all day going through Ebay listings, it does nothing but waste my time to even have tocursor Past his crappy listings.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hey, that's certainly a possibility.

The two tasks basically have ZERO to do with each other.

I suspect that since several here say he's been a fixture for So Long that he's just Not That Familiar with Fleabay. If you Aren't and you jump on there

loading up listings, it's stands to reason they aren't going to be very good.

I do wish you the best with the repairs if you sent pens to him.

Again though, I do still have to shake my head and wonder if he's All That as a technician, why the hell doesn't he take some time and clean up

and Fix some of the stuff he's trying to sell. That I STILL don't get.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

There are (at least) three kinds of customers

1. the ones who want to buy everything restored and ready to use

2. the ones who can fix things themselves (or think they can)

3. the ones who buy a rebuilt item, then shoot back a message "You should have done X X X instead of Y Y Y and you did Z all wrong - so you've destroyed the value!"

Sorry, but starting an auction for a user grade 51 at $70 that you then say you will make writable for More money is Absolute Total BS.

I am Very Sure I've seen enough 51 listings and Bought Enough 51s to be qualified enough to make that statement.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

With an eBay score in the 7000+, I don't think he is hurting from you not listing his work on your weekly write up.

Just saying.

There are several great restorers that are FPN members whose reputations are already known. I would without reservation suggest Danny Fudge at: www.thewritepen.net

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Well, I'll tell you this, he can be Richard Binder's CLONE for all I know but his Ebay listings Absolutely SUCK!

He Must Be old school because he doesn't know JACK about selling on Ebay.

And, it's NOT Just me. Funny that he seems to list the Same Pens, Every Week. Few If Any of them selling. (You MIGHT think he'd get some kind of a clue about the 3rd week in a row of having to relist the same pens...)

He has Bunches of all kinds of different 51's but for some insane reason he puts almost the exact pricing on all of them, WAY TOO HIGH of a start price. Not to mention that Most, if not ALL of them Aren't ready to write unless you pay him Extra to make them that way. He only has 2 or 3 pics that aren't very good and show little of the pen for sale, WAY too little for Anyone to risk spending their hard earned money on.

His descriptions are also very cursory though he at least seems to note the most obvious defects. If he's so damn hot, why doesn't he FIX Some of these damn pens Before he tries to sell them?

Screw that.

I just finished this week's Fleabay listings and Finally Put who was being discussed here together with his listings. I can Assure You I won't be recommending A Damn One of them. In fact, now that I recognize them, I just BLAST on past them like they were for the cheap Chinese junk pens. I don't even bother opening up the listing anymore. If I could figure out a way to minus them out so I didn't have to see them to start with, I would.

I don't know if he's gone senile from The Crackerjack some here say he is or if he's so old school he's Absolutely Clueless how to sell anything on Ebay but I do and will contine to avoid his listings like a West Memphis hooker. :rolleyes:

I was honestly Shocked As Hell to put the listings together with this person some are speaking so highly of here.

Sorry if I sound hot under the collar but after I spend all day going through Ebay listings, it does nothing but waste my time to even have tocursor Past his crappy listings.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bruce in Ocala, Fl,

You really need to take a break before you post with ALL CAPS and miscellaneous Capitalizations.

And, you don't sound the least bit sorry.

Read twice, post once. Or in this case, hit delete.

gary

Have bought pens from mpac and even had him refurbish them for me. Never had any complaints. If you don't like him or what he does OR his prices, "walk" on by. There are plenty of others you can buy from.