Photo

Handwriting From Hell... A Quest For Personal Improvement.

handwriting improvement

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 cavey

cavey

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:45

Hah, then I misremembered your handedness ^_^

#32 Coop

Coop

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2014 - 13:10

Just gave my wife a hand written wish list for my upcoming birthday. Well not really a wish list, more like a shoppinglist for La Couronne du Comte.

What's on it?
A blue TWSBI Vac 700
A TWSBI Vac 20 ink bottle
And a bottle of sapphire blue ink
... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainp...t/#entry2917072

#33 Coop

Coop

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:49

13897028901_e191fa2afd.jpg

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainp...t/#entry2917072

#34 ac12

ac12

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:46

Good work.

When I decided to work on my handwriting, it took me a while.

The biggest change was learning to write with my arm, as I used to write with my fingers.  That single change took over 3 months of CONSTANT daily practice of at least 1 hour a day.  It was training my arm to write with smaller finer movements and to NOT use my fingers to write.  This change also let me write much larger than I could before, and with ease.

Every so often I will look at my writing or how I write and decide to make a change, and then it is back to ugly handwriting while I train my hand/arm to write differently.  While this seems time consuming, I found that it is very difficult for me to change several things at once, because I cannot concentrate on each of those several things at the same time.  For me, it is much easier to change ONE thing, so I can concentrate on fixing that one thing.  Then when I have that down, go on to the next thing to change, and continue on.

There is an old saying from one of my other hobbies, "fast is slow."

What this means is that you should learn slow, so you understand what you are doing and learn the proper muscle movements, all under full control.   Then, once your muscles are trained in what to do, it speeds up by itself.  You think the word the and your muscles write the without you thinking about each letter t then h then e

But just be careful, as you learn a new letter form.  There is such a thing as "too slow."  You are writing a letter, not drawing it.  So you need to write in strokes.  It can be a slow stroke, but it should still be a stroke.  Example, I was trying to learn a new way to write the capital G with a pointed pen, and I got stuck because I started to think too much about the form (because I was working on form) and I could not write it.  I was breaking up a stroke into pieces, and that did not work, because the pieces did not fit together smoothly.

Edited by ac12, 19 April 2014 - 21:47.

#35 Ray Cornett

Ray Cornett

Snorkel Freak

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:10

My handwriting is not so good at this point but it has improved a lot over the last few months. The way I look at writing is like good music. Writing, Like music, needs a good consistent rhythm and it needs to "breath". A one point my writing was so terrible even my doctor would have me fill out forms a second time.

To write or not to write. There is no question. Write!

#36 Coop

Coop

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2014 - 21:02

13904889257_df9079b919.jpg

#37 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 23:53

have you looked back at your original post? That's a tremendous change. Keep it up!

#38 ac12

ac12

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2014 - 00:44

13904889257_df9079b919.jpg

Yes, I agree.

I like writing with my Lamy 1.1 nib for Christmas and other cards, where the changing width of the ink like makes the writing look more interesting than plain mono-line out of a regular ball tip fountain pen. 

#39 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:18

Your brain forms ideas much faster than you can write.  There is a tendency to rush the writing to catch up.  Of course, 

the attempt is futile.  So down.  Concentrate on the way you want each character to appear on the paper.  If you want 

a bigger loop, make a bigger loop, etc.  The mere attempt will improve your writing.  Then, you will enjoy it more.  

Practice.  Write your grocery list longhand, with your fountain pen.  Write letters to your friends and family. 

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#40 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Crusty Old Newbie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 00:43

I'm in the same quest. I abandoned cursive when I was about 13 or 14 and have been printing ever since. Ironically, I also do calligraphy, but my normal handwriting is atrocious. I too have been attempting to re-learn cursive. The hard part was figuring out certain letter forms, and transitions. 

What I'm doing is copying a book that I'm reading word for word. It gets me all kinds of words, and I'm fanatical that if I don't write a word correctly, or up to my new standards, I'll write it over again. If it takes me more than three times to get it right, I add it to a list of troublesome words. These I will practice in drills. 

Right now I'm focusing on straight line writing. Later I'll try an oblique or italic nib. I've used those quite frequently in my calligraphy, but calligraphy is different than everyday writing. I'm trying to work first on letter forms, spacing, and then speed. 

Once I get my speed up, then I may switch completely to cursive. It's strange, almost like another person's writing. 

You've made some great progress, and it gives me hope. Keep going and now make your cursive style your own. 

My other hobby requires a camera

#41 Coop

Coop

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:33

14328132784_1d65d83a91_z.jpg

#42 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Crusty Old Newbie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:49

Coming along quite nicely!

#43 Algester

Algester

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,085 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:01

thats very good progress you can see a jaring difference but for me I keep on misspelling the words I think I'm writing a bit too fast... but good work... I seriously need to find my font... I have been using Palmer ever since LOL

fsqYbA8l.jpg

not that it's considered bad but still legible... I like it when I write slow but... I think I'm rushing a bit too much

Edited by Algester, 03 June 2014 - 09:06.

#44 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Crusty Old Newbie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:27

Very nice! I still make more mistakes when I write cursive than when I print, and I still can't write as quickly, but I'm convinced it's habit, habit, habit. You're coming along quite nicely! 

#45 Sheri Chander

Sheri Chander

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 20:59

Great progress. Keep it up.

#46 Sean Kristoffer

Sean Kristoffer

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:47

Ooh. That's awesome improvement there! What method are you using for learning cursive? I'm looking for a way to learn cursive writing that works nicely for lefties. :)

#47 Algester

Algester

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,085 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:22

Ooh. That's awesome improvement there! What method are you using for learning cursive? I'm looking for a way to learn cursive writing that works nicely for lefties. :)

for me Palmer... since that's what I have been used too not sure for other people..

#48 Coop

Coop

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:54

For me it's just half what I learned in school and half my own thing. I think I'll call it CoopScript ;P

#49 SkylarKnight

SkylarKnight

Super Extra Awesome

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 13:19

Just a word, but I heard from a youtuber that if your handwriting is small, it'd be better for you to use a fine or even extra fine tip so to match your handwriting. however, great progress!

letterji9.png
Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

#50 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Crusty Old Newbie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 14:54

My handwriting tends to smallness, and I'm finding that using a stub or medium italic (1.1) forces me to write larger and thus more clearly. When I use a fine or extra fine I tend to fall back into old habits too easily. But that may just be me. Some old dogs have to be forced to learn new tricks.

#51 SkylarKnight

SkylarKnight

Super Extra Awesome

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 19:09

Ahh, I see. I personally tend to write nicer if I write smaller, which is why an M tip will be a little too much for me. Glad you found something you're comfy with tho :)

letterji9.png
Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

#52 MyHandwritingSucks

MyHandwritingSucks

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 19:27

14328132784_1d65d83a91_z.jpg

Okay. I'm sold.

I'm a complete n00b. How does one go about attaining similar handwriting?

What is this style?

Where did you learn?

I'm more than willing to put in multiple hours a day to perfect this.

#53 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 20:36

sir its depends on the nib of the fountain pen too

what you see is written with a stub nib

it has a broad tip

Edited by silver ink, 22 June 2014 - 20:41.

O ye who believe!let not one group scoff(ridicule) at another group,belike they may be better than they are,nor let some women scoff at other women,belike they may be better than they are.And traduce not one another,nor revile one another by odious appellations! ill is the name of sin after belief.And whosoever will not repent,then those,they are the wrong-doers.                                                                   Holy Quran 49:11

#54 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Crusty Old Newbie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 14:28

Ah, but beware of the stubs. Once you go stubby, you never go back. (so to speak)

My far-from-perfect method to revive my ability to write cursive was first to find the letter forms that I liked. (choose from the various types of handwriting styles out there: Palmer, Italic, etc...)

Get some good paper, and a good pen (doesn't mean expensive, just one that writes well), and some well-behaved ink that shows contrast well (no Sailor Apricot. you need to see your letters well)

Then...

Practice.

Practice.

Practice.

Slowly and carefully at first until you see the letter forms like you want them. Then try a little faster, then slow down when you realize you're not ready yet.

Then just take any and all opportunities to write, critique your writing, try different ways of holding the pen, different nibs (here's where the stub nibs do their evil work), sitting, positioning paper until you've found just what works for you.

Have fun!!

#55 nojanv

nojanv

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:41

Great improvement. If you really want to invest in cursive, I recommend picking up How to Write American Cursive by Michael Sull. I recommend this book a lot all over the internet but it really is that great! Wishing you the best of luck in your penmanship journey :-)

#56 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Crusty Old Newbie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 14:10

Great improvement. If you really want to invest in cursive, I recommend picking up How to Write American Cursive by Michael Sull. I recommend this book a lot all over the internet but it really is that great! Wishing you the best of luck in your penmanship journey :-)

Have a source where this book can be purchased? Sounds interesting.

#57 mrcharlie

mrcharlie

Peacock Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:44

Have a source where this book can be purchased? Sounds interesting.

http://www.spenceria...epromotion.html

#58 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Crusty Old Newbie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:39

Thanks!

#59 OLD TIMER

OLD TIMER