Just Ordered A Romillo

Sblakers

Wow. These pics are convincing me to go ahead with an order... I've already contacted Alvaro and he was very fast to answer.

I'm hesitating though, between the Eo 9, the Nervion and the Essential 9.... if only there was a comparative picture with and without cap... I'm having trouble seeing how the differences in measurements translate as important or more subtle differences. In a pdf catalog Alvaro sent me, there is a profile drawing of the different models, but still... Part of the difficulty is not being able to compare with a pen I know well (I own none of the superb pens in the post above...)

Alternatively, if those of you who happen to have one of the Romillo models could post the size of the pen uncapped... (from nib tip to end of barrel)

And also, the section diameter.... It would be helpful.

What nib size did you choose? Has anyone tried the stub? Italics? And did you choose the semiflex nib?

Thanks for any info!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sblakers

• MisterBoll

• da vinci

• mongrelnomad

Alternatively, if those of you who happen to have one of the Romillo models could post the size of the pen uncapped... (from nib tip to end of barrel)

The Essential Writer - 13.4 cm uncapped

fpn_1396642065__romillo.jpg

Edited by MisterBoll

Da Vinci. The neat thing about Romiilo pens is they can make you a firm nib and give you a tip any size you like. I know they do various CI nibs.

<starts to reach for credit card>

fpn_1396642065__romillo.jpg

Beautiful pen misterboll!!

The more I use my Romillo the more I fall in love with it. I'm a little worried I won't want to use any of my other pens. I think ill put some fun colors in my other pens that will force me to use them for tasks that require said color. This might be the only way I'll put the Romillo down. I am really floored by how wonderful this pen is.

Wow. These pics are convincing me to go ahead with an order... I've already contacted Alvaro and he was very fast to answer.

I'm hesitating though, between the Eo 9, the Nervion and the Essential 9.... if only there was a comparative picture with and without cap... I'm having trouble seeing how the differences in measurements translate as important or more subtle differences. In a pdf catalog Alvaro sent me, there is a profile drawing of the different models, but still... Part of the difficulty is not being able to compare with a pen I know well (I own none of the superb pens in the post above...)

And also, the section diameter.... It would be helpful.

What nib size did you choose? Has anyone tried the stub? Italics? And did you choose the semiflex nib?

Thanks for any info!

Hi cbbp. I chose a fine nib with generous flow. I explained to Alvaro that I needed the nib to perform well under unorthodox positions. At first I wanted a flex nib but after talking to Alvaro we decided a firm would best suit my needs. The nib on my pen is nothing short of brilliant. I honestly could not be happier and really have no desire for another pen--- this is the fist time this has ever happened to me.

Hi cbbp. I chose a fine nib with generous flow. I explained to Alvaro that I needed the nib to perform well under unorthodox positions. At first I wanted a flex nib but after talking to Alvaro we decided a firm would best suit my needs. The nib on my pen is nothing short of brilliant. I honestly could not be happier and really have no desire for another pen--- this is the fist time this has ever happened to me.

Thanks much to both of you!

Beautiful pen misterboll!!

Thank you! It's the same color as yours but in the photo it looks almost black.

Thank you! It's the same color as yours but in the photo it looks almost black.

I love the gold ring! What nib did you get?

Here is a pic of the pen in hand. I wear a large to xl men's glove--I'm right in the middle. Just so you can have an idea of how the pen sits in the hand.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg2_zpsb4ad7faf.jpg

And here is the best close up of the nib I could manage with my iPad mini. The engraving on the nib is phenomenal in my opinion. My favorite design on a nib I have ever seen. Hand engraved as well !!

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg1_zps8e7169b7.jpg

Profile shot --- I love how the tip of the nib curves down

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg1_zps82f5e03c.jpg

Edited by Sblakers

The K flex nib.............

fpn_1396654443__romillo03.jpg

Writing sample...........

fpn_1396654500__romillo05.jpg

Oh man! That is a gorgeous nib. Well I've changed my mind, I said I didn't want another pen but now I want a romillo with a k flex nib lol. Hmm. Congrats misterboll, that is a lovely pen! I can only imagine how well it writes

Here is a pic of the pen in hand. I wear a large to xl men's glove--I'm right in the middle. Just so you can have an idea of how the pen sits in the hand.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg2_zpsb4ad7faf.jpg

This is really helpful. Many thanks! I think that the Eo, it will be... Maybe the blue/black also! I like the subtleness of it. I think I may go for the rhodium plated nib version. And I agree with you, the nib design is really unique and so beautiful.

N

This is really helpful. Many thanks! I think that the Eo, it will be... Maybe the blue/black also! I like the subtleness of it. I think I may go for the rhodium plated nib version. And I agree with you, the nib design is really unique and so beautiful.

Nice! I'm happy I could help. I bet the rhodium plated nib is gorgeous! Keep us posted on what you decide.

Ok last set of pictures(I promise). These are pics of the eye dropper system--It's kind of hard to describe so hopefully the pictures will help. You can se the rubber o ring inside the barrel. Sorry the pictures aren't better. At least you can get an idea

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg1_zpsde1eb028.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg2_zps570ec5fb.jpg

Edited by Sblakers

Hi Shuuemura,

I am not 100% sure silicon grease is necessary, there was some on the threads when i removed the section, however, there are 2 rubber o rings seated inside the threads which I suspect should do the job just fine. The pen is a designed eyedropper, not a converted converter. The system works quite well. I have excellent flow and no leakage when i turn the pen nib down. The nibs are made in house an they are magnificent. The nib is also hand engraved. i will take some pics next to my other pens so you can get an idea of the size. Another neat thing, the feed is huge and ebonite.

So I asked Romillo Pens and they said that silicon grease is not necessary for ensuring the water-tightness of the section/barrel seal. The silicon grease that comes pre-applied on the section threads is for ensuring that the section smoothly unscrews from the barrel.

This got me thinking about one of my other eyedropper pens, the Namiki Emperor. The section threads of this pen do not need silicon grease as well, yet there are no rubber o-rings that I can see. How does Namiki achieve this seal? By extremely precise machining, or by using longer threads than usual?

Ok last set of pictures(I promise). These are pics of the eye dropper system--It's kind of hard to describe so hopefully the pictures will help. You can se the rubber o ring inside the barrel. Sorry the pictures aren't better. At least you can get an idea

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg1_zpsde1eb028.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg2_zps570ec5fb.jpg

You see that makes me feel better about choosing the Nervion... I was a bit worried about the weight of the gold end-cap (one of my pet peeves is tail-heavy pens - Pelikan M800, I'm lookin' at you!), but with all that metal up near the section, it should remain a balanced pen.

I'll be happy to post pics of the Nervion when I get it at the beginning of next month...

Too many pens; too little writing.

So I asked Romillo Pens and they said that silicon grease is not necessary for ensuring the water-tightness of the section/barrel seal. The silicon grease that comes pre-applied on the section threads is for ensuring that the section smoothly unscrews from the barrel.

This got me thinking about one of my other eyedropper pens, the Namiki Emperor. The section threads of this pen do not need silicon grease as well, yet there are no rubber o-rings that I can see. How does Namiki achieve this seal? By extremely precise machining, or by using longer threads than usual?

Thanks for posting about the grease. That's nice to know. As far as the emeperor, that's an intersting question. I had an emeperor red urushi as well and I don't perfectly recall the sealing system. Was it metal to ebonite ? If this was the case I might theorize that the ebonite threads would create a good enough seal with the metal. As far as the Romillo. It's metal to metal--- either way is imagine the namiki is machine made where as the metal parts for the Romillo are all hand made and so the tolerances will be drastically different. With all this said I prefer the Romillo system.

You see that makes me feel better about choosing the Nervion... I was a bit worried about the weight of the gold end-cap (one of my pet peeves is tail-heavy pens - Pelikan M800, I'm lookin' at you!), but with all that metal up near the section, it should remain a balanced pen.

I'll be happy to post pics of the Nervion when I get it at the beginning of next month...

I am not a fan of tail heavy pens either. I think you are right about the metal at the nib end of the pen counter acting the gold at the butt end. I just picked up my pen and the darn thing feels almost perfectly ballanced with just a tad more weight at the nib end. I have a feeling the will ballance your pen according to the extra weight. These pens feel really amazing in the hand.

Congratulations on your amazing Romillo!

The Soul is the Romillo that has caught my eye. Maybe one of these days...

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.