#1 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:18

Hey there. Well, just ordered a black and blue eo #9. This purchase stretched my pen funds further than I wanted for the year. Was hoping some people who own Romillo's might chime in, giving me some encouragement. Anyone try the #9 nibs? And if so what do you think. How are you guys likeing your Romillo's? Not a lot of info on these pens around here and any info you would like to share might help me to get through the month long wait. :)

#2 MisterBoll

MisterBoll

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:02

I have an Essential Writer with a K nib that is an absolute wonder to write with. You'll be more than pleased with your Romillo. It's worth every cent - which is alot more than can be said about certain up-there-in-price pens. Every aspect is beautifully crafted. Post some pictures when you receive it.

#3 Postscript

Postscript

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:23

No experience for me but these pens have been on my radar for some time.  I look forward to hearing about your experience (and that of others) in the event that one day I pull the trigger on one.  Thanks, and congratulations--Post Script

#4 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,684 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:33

I don't have one, but this is certainly a pen I've been dreaming for a while. Congratulations!!!

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#5 MontyMiguelAngel

MontyMiguelAngel

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 13:05

Hey there. Well, just ordered a black and blue eo #9. This purchase stretched my pen funds further than I wanted for the year. Was hoping some people who own Romillo's might chime in, giving me some encouragement. Anyone try the #9 nibs? And if so what do you think. How are you guys likeing your Romillo's? Not a lot of info on these pens around here and any info you would like to share might help me to get through the month long wait. :)

Hello:

I always carry with six ink pens. Five changed every two weeks, only Romillo is always in my pocket since I got it two years ago, without missing a day. Congratulations on your choice

#6 MontyMiguelAngel

MontyMiguelAngel

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 15:24

The interior cleaning is very easy with a syringe with water. To maintain Romillo ebonite would ask how. Aside from the wonderful finish will surprise its great capacity of ink.

#7 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 16:23

thank you everyone for the responses. I am pretty excited about this pen. I really enjoy ohashido and hakase pens but the one thing i yearn for with these pens is a larger nib and non cc filler.. I think this pen nails what I've been looking for on the head.  Anyone have experience with Romillo's #9 nibs? I'm curious as to what people think of them

#8 Wahl

Wahl

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 17:49

I am waiting for an EO with a #9 Stub, and a Sil with a # 7OB.

I can tell you that I´ve tried several Romillos , including #9´s and they are fantastic nibs !

#9 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 19:14

WOW, congrats! We want to see pictures.

#10 da vinci

da vinci

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,534 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 22:07

Fantastic! There doesn't seem to be a lot out there about these pens, but what there is, is overwhelmingly positive.

The design of the website is incredibly stylish, and I am sure that sets a positive precedent for their pens.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

#11 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:34

I received my Romillo a few days ago and I can say without a doubt that if I had to sell all my pens but one, and I could never buy another pen, I would keep this romillo. For me this is the "one pen". It is literally everything I want in a pen. I will be reviewing her when I get a some time but I will post a few pictures in the meantime. This is the only pen I have ever purchased where I think the price is too low for what you are getting. Here are some pretty poor pictures. Sorry. Hopefully you get the idea

imagejpg2_zpseefd3a60.jpg
imagejpg2_zps6fabca8a.jpg
imagejpg3_zps30f477ab.jpg
imagejpg4_zpscc4fca7d.jpg

Edited by Sblakers, 02 April 2014 - 02:41.

#12 MisterBoll

MisterBoll

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,730 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:19

I received my Romillo a few days ago and I can say without a doubt that if I had to sell all my pens but one, and I could never buy another pen, I would keep this romillo. For me this is the "one pen". It is literally everything I want in a pen........

Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a very long time.

There is a certain something to the Romillo that no other pen has.

Holding it in your hand you realize that it is something extraordinary.

#13 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:25

Wow this is a beautiful pen! Congratulations! I'm extremely tempted by your photos...

Some questions for you: Do you need to put silicon grease on the threads? Is the nib and feed made in-house? And what nib did you get? Would love to see some photos of this pen with other well-known pens like the MB 149 or Pelikan M800 if you have them, thanks!

Edited by shuuemura, 02 April 2014 - 12:07.

#14 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 13:11

Hi Shuuemura,

I am not 100% sure silicon grease is necessary, there was some on the threads when i removed the section, however, there are 2 rubber o rings seated inside the threads which I suspect should do the job just fine. The pen is a designed eyedropper, not a converted converter. The system works quite well. I have excellent flow and no leakage when i turn the pen nib down. The nibs are made in house an they are magnificent. The nib is also hand engraved.  i will take some pics next to my other pens so you can get an idea of the size. Another neat thing, the feed is huge and ebonite.

#15 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 13:24

Here are those pictures.
Pens, from left to right
To note: the section of the romillo is incredibly comfortable. The combination of huge nib to thinner--than say 139 section-- makes it a very comfortable pen to use. The balance is very nice as well.
Romillo Eo#9, montblanc 139, visconti hs bronze. Last picture I added hakase
imagejpg1_zps35b62634.jpg
imagejpg2_zps156f635f.jpg

Edited by Sblakers, 02 April 2014 - 13:28.

#16 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 13:45

Beautiful collection and pictures! Now I'm extremely tempted haha...

Edit: I just realised that each pen in your last picture is made of a different material! How awesome is that?!

Edited by shuuemura, 02 April 2014 - 13:48.

#17 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 13:57

Oh wow.. thats too funny, I didn't even notice that. Ebonite, celluloid, wood, lava..  
Thank you for the kind words. My collection isn't very big, i only have 6 other pens in my collection, I've narrowed it down to pens I love.   Sorry for the poor picture quality, I am using my iPad mini =( 

Here's a family photo if anyone is interested. The last pen on the right came from my late fathers estate-- it's a roller ball or ball point( I don't know about non fountain pens -- lol). The pen with writing on it was a wedding gift from my wife.

imagejpg1_zpsb68ce6b9.jpg

Picture of nibs
imagejpg1_zpsabe7cb0c.jpg

Edited by Sblakers, 02 April 2014 - 14:12.

#18 MisterBoll

MisterBoll

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,730 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 14:23

Very nice collection Sblakers.

#19 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 14:31

Thank you MisterBoll :)

#20 Wahl

Wahl

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 17:29

Congrats on your Romillo,  Sblaker, waiting for mine  :puddle:

#21 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 2,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 17:56

Here's a family photo if anyone is interested. The last pen on the right came from my late fathers estate-- it's a roller ball or ball point( I don't know about non fountain pens -- lol). The pen with writing on it was a wedding gift from my wife.

The Romillo is very handsome, enjoy!...

As for your father's pen, from the cap, I can tell that it's a Tibaldi. The cap design is from the Divina series....(I had one in black...). Don't recognize the barrel design, never saw this design before...I assume it was a LE design....very well-made and substantial pens...

Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***

#22 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 18:51

20140402_144948.jpg

#23 da vinci

da vinci

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,534 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 20:48

Wonderful pen sblakers, thanks for the update :thumbup:

Can you give me a bit more info on the nib characteristics - nail/flexy, smooth/lots of feedback?

Bearing in mind the quality of your collection, for you to say this pen is the "one" it must be quite something!

#24 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 22:50

Thank you all for the kind words. Hmm. How to describe the nib. The feel of nib to paper is very similar if not exactly the same as pelikan 100's montblanc 13x and waterman 58 nibs I've used . My 139 has more flex but the feel or feedback is the same. I had a waterman 58 with a very rigid nib( one of my all time favorites) the Romillo has more flex but the same feedback. I can't really put my finger on it, but when I compare any vintage nib (50's and earlier) to modern day nibs it's not only the flex that seperates them. Some how the Romillo captured that same feel. Best way to describe it, if you took a waterman 58 rigid nib and compared it to a pelikan 1000 you would know the difference. The pelikan will feel springy'er of flexy'er but you would be able to feel the difference between a vintage nib and modern nib. I know that's probably not the best example.

If a few words, the nib is very smooth with very specific feed back. With pressure I can get some tine spread. So it's not a nail. It's a very unique writing experience for a modern day nib.

Edited by Sblakers, 02 April 2014 - 22:53.

#25 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 23:15

The Romillo is very handsome, enjoy!...

As for your father's pen, from the cap, I can tell that it's a Tibaldi. The cap design is from the Divina series....(I had one in black...). Don't recognize the barrel design, never saw this design before...I assume it was a LE design....very well-made and substantial pens...

Thanks archi for that bit of insight :)

#26 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• Moderators

• 2,507 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 23:21

What a sweet pen!  Congrats on finding one that measures above all others, and with your group of pens that is really saying something!  I've looked for a long time at both Hakase and Romillo and, until now, was thinking mostly about springing for a Hakase.  Looks like I'm headed back to the drawing board.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

#27 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 23:27

What a sweet pen!  Congrats on finding one that measures above all others, and with your group of pens that is really saying something!  I've looked for a long time at both Hakase and Romillo and, until now, was thinking mostly about springing for a Hakase.  Looks like I'm headed back to the drawing board.

Thanks!

The Romillo is truly unique. I love that everything is hand made. The only thing about hakase that I've had a hard time getting over is the fact that it's a converter pen and they use pilot nibs. Both of which are fine, but when you are paying that kind of money for a hand made pen I'd like the whole thing hand made. This is definitely not a insult to hakase ( I love their pens) but the Romillo is in an entirely different league.

#28 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 23:28

vvery nice! what's the big red woodgrain pen in the middle?

Oh wow.. thats too funny, I didn't even notice that. Ebonite, celluloid, wood, lava..  
Thank you for the kind words. My collection isn't very big, i only have 6 other pens in my collection, I've narrowed it down to pens I love.   Sorry for the poor picture quality, I am using my iPad mini =( 

imagejpg1_zpsb68ce6b9.jpg

Picture of nibs
imagejpg1_zpsabe7cb0c.jpg

Edited by penmanila, 02 April 2014 - 23:29.

Check out my blog and my pens

#29 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2014 - 00:05

vvery nice! what's the big red woodgrain pen in the middle?

The red wood pen is a cocobolo hakase.

#30 playtime

playtime

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2014 - 00:30

Huge congrats! Have been pining for a Romillo myself, and your purchase only feeds the flame:)

On a side note, can you tell me what pen is the third one from the left?

j

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"Lacking data, like any good social scientist I was free to make stuff up; but as a scholar and a teacher, I had to make an effort to theorise responsibly."Professor Propas

"Marriage is a fine institution, except when it comes to pens."Professor Propas

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson