I was surprised to see that there isn't a review of the Dunas on here.
This was an "accidental" buy, that soon turned out to be a favorite. I bough it a couple of weeks ago in January.
So I went to buy ink and they have this glass cabinet at the register where the sale items are presented, the Dunas caught my eye and I immediately tried several to see which color would be best. Though first I was put off because they only had a M nibs and I prefer F nibs. So I decided to sleep over it, but it wrote so nicely that I couldn't get it out of my head and I went back and bought it. Didn't regret it.
Note: It was on sale, because it is going out of production.
Appearence & Design: 9/10
- hexagonal shape in the middle that becomes round towards the ends
- looks like the design will age well
- hexagonal shape prevents the pen from rolling from the desk
Construction & Quality: 5/10
- cap can't be really posted, unless you apply pressure, otherwise it's loose (I don't mind, since I never post my pens.)
Weight & Dimensions: 7/10
- 13,5 cm lenght
- 1 cm width in the middle
- weighs 19 g with ink
- good size for people with small hands
I prefer heavier pens, but otoh it's perfect for my hand size.
Nib & Preformance: 10/10
- The nib is smooooooooooth, glides over paper like butter. Compared to this one, all my other pens suddenly feel scratchy.
- The size is M and it was the only size available. (I asked if the nib could be changed, but was told that no, it can't be. Now, I don't know if this is true or if it is just the policy of that store, because of warranty issues. I bought my Hemisphere there, too and they wouldn't exchange the nib either, telling me that the nib is fastened to the feed with clamps and can't be taken out, which is obviously BS, but I got a virginal pen from the factory, so I didn't mind.)
- Not dry, starts immediately. Either medium or wet.
- Stiff nib.
Filling System & Maintance: 8/10
- uses international cartriges/converters
- haven't disassembled, so can't tell anything about that, but assume that it's possible
Cost & Value: 10/10
- bought at KaDeWe
- for 39 € on sale (were previously 69 €)
- would pay a lot more just for the nib preformance alone
Surpassed my expectations and is a daily writer. 1 point minus because of its lightness.
the Dunas M nib has the same size as the Hemisphere F nib
Caran D'Ache Dunas
you can see how the cap doesn't really fit
The other Dunas' I tried felt the same way when I was writing with them and I found a review by sbrebrown who also noticed how nice the nib was, so I assume my nib is not a freak of nature.
Edited by Anoia, 28 February 2014 - 13:23.