Is Oxonian Still On The Forum And Is There Another Way To Contact Him Other Than Pm?

Blueorb

As per title.

His PM box is full and I was wondering if there was another method of contact or is the inbox full because he no longer does nib adjustments?

They're trying to build a prison.................it's the totalitarian tiptoe!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• View from the Loft

• Diver

• arran

• elmoreleonard

Many thanks!

Moderator:

You can lock this post, I have my answer.

They're trying to build a prison.................it's the totalitarian tiptoe!

Many thanks!

Moderator:

You can lock this post, I have my answer.

Is the answer postable here? Perhaps there are more people here who have the same question?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 1 month later...

I have a nib needs some work, will see if I can contact him.

Edited by Diver

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@cs388

Yes indeedy. I sent a private message throught the forums with an enquiry, which led to my pen being sent off. My nib was sent out in a sorry state, it had been knocked off my desk at work and had landed point down. To me it looked beyond repair. On it's return, it actually wrote better, much better than when it was new, with no sign of the damage.

Very very impressed. The man is a craftsman of the highest order.

As a footnote, if anyone is squeamish about sending out their pride and joy, fear not. My pen was a limited edition Conway Stewart which was a gift from my partner, so had a lot of sentimental value.

If I ever I get a nib refuse to play, or suffer another catastrophe, I will definitely send my pen off packing knowing full well it will come back BETTER than new.

Sorry for waffling on, just a real happy customer.

D.

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

• 3 weeks later...

I had very good results in several itailics and a M stub via John.

Great craftsman for sure

John has worked his magic on a few of my pens - most recently a Visconti Opera Crystal and a Stipula Tendril.

Havent inked the Stipula, but that Visconti is magnificent!!! As are the M600, Visconti Michelangelo & the Sheaffer Legacy that he's also worked on for me.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

• 2 months later...

I am sorry to report an unsatisfactory service from Oxonian. Previously, he has done nice work on a Montblanc, OMAS and Stipula of mine. However, in February 2014 I sent him a vintage Wahl which needed work on the nib. When he received it, he said he would have to ask around to get a new nib. Every month afterwards I emailed him but received no reply. In May I sent an email from another account, pretending to want a pen mended and got an instant reply. I replied back, admitting whom I was, and John said he had been having internet problems. Promised to keep looking for a nib and to keep in touch. That was the last I heard from him and he still has my fountain pen, eight months on.

I am sorry to report an unsatisfactory service from Oxonian. Previously, he has done nice work on a Montblanc, OMAS and Stipula of mine. However, in February 2014 I sent him a vintage Wahl which needed work on the nib. When he received it, he said he would have to ask around to get a new nib. Every month afterwards I emailed him but received no reply. In May I sent an email from another account, pretending to want a pen mended and got an instant reply. I replied back, admitting whom I was, and John said he had been having internet problems. Promised to keep looking for a nib and to keep in touch. That was the last I heard from him and he still has my fountain pen, eight months on.

I am sorry that you have not had the same good experience with John that I have.

Have you contacted home to enquire about progress and timescales, or to ask for your pen back?

I think John is a great pen worker and deserves all the credit that we can give him, here in the UK.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

In reply to View from the Loft: As I say in my email, I have been trying to contact him for months and have received no reply, except for the one time I used my other email account, pretending to be another customer, and he replied instantly. I have since tried to contact him through the email account that he replied to in May, and have heard nothing. I find it interesting how The Good Captain immediately says how great John is, when there must be hundreds of messages on Fountain Pen Network saying how great he is. That is why I felt it necessary to leave this message. By the way, I emailed John telling him I would leave a poor review if I did not get a reply from him in one month, and I've heard nothing. He's had my pen for eight months, I rather think he might try to contact me!

John indeed is a great person and helpfull to us all

But please also take into account that sometimes private issues in personal life play a role

I heard his mother died and this put a big stress on his private life.

He has his job to do for onoto as well

He attends penfairs and helps a lot od people withen problems too

In reply to View from the Loft: As I say in my email, I have been trying to contact him for months and have received no reply, except for the one time I used my other email account, pretending to be another customer, and he replied instantly. I have since tried to contact him through the email account that he replied to in May, and have heard nothing. I find it interesting how The Good Captain immediately says how great John is, when there must be hundreds of messages on Fountain Pen Network saying how great he is. That is why I felt it necessary to leave this message. By the way, I emailed John telling him I would leave a poor review if I did not get a reply from him in one month, and I've heard nothing. He's had my pen for eight months, I rather think he might try to contact me!

As someone else has said, sometimes personal matters do intrude upon work.

However, you haven't actually answered my question. I understand that you have tried to contact John, but it's still not clear to me whether or not you have directly asked him about timescales or to return your pen.

Again, I'm sorry that you feel that you have not received the level of service that others have enjoyed. However, your experience differs to mine and I won't let your experience stop me from sending more work of mine to John. My personal view.

In the interest of helping you along in your reasonable aim, return of your pen, with the nib John is seeking for you installed and adjusted.

There is an upcoming show in the UK.. here's the link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/273038-lwes-2014-london-pen-show-october-5th/

Perhaps you may be able to work through the communication issue via those who know John and are attending.

Edited by pen2paper

I do not know the particulars, what John exactly promised in his mail to you (No, DON'T post those mails here, mails are private communication, same as PMs)

If he said it could take a long time and that he would contact you as soon as he found something, I can understand that he is not going to answer every month: "no sorry nothing yet." But a status update every 3 or so months would be nice.

Ofcourse if you are waiting for your pen it is quite annoying if there's nothing coming.

BTW, what would your options be if you asked for the pen to be send back? I don't know the extent of the damage, and how much you want to pay for the repair? Because there is always the option to send it to Spain, where there is a miracle nib-goldsmith. Don't remember the name, is mentioned somewhere in Market Watch.

(BTW, this topic more belongs to Market Watch, going to move it there.)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~