A Question For Aussies - J. Burrows Journals

dcwaites

Officeworks have picked up a new range of products branded J. Burrows. Amongst them are some new notebooks.

The ones I was interested in are the Premium Contrast Journal, with 70gsm paper. As below--

http://media.officeworks.com.au/ims_docs/52/52F25346AF601830E10080000AF11387.JPG

I have tried a cheaper product, the Coloured Journal, with 80gsm paper,

http://media.officeworks.com.au/ims_docs/52/52F25263AF601830E10080000AF11387.JPG

but while it was adequate with inks (you just have to be picky) I didn't feel it was so hot.

My question is - has anybody tried the more expensive Premium Contrast Journal, and what was the result?

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkypete

• pandabirdy1

• Newjelan

• bobbyz0r

Officeworks has a big range of Burrows stuff including spiral bound nor=tebooks and office pads. They are all on the disappointing side, which is sad really as the range is good.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I have 1 here which I haven't tested yet. I picked it up with high hopes as the company a dress on it was identical to that of the Officeworks X products (which are good, so I was hoping it would be comparable). Disappointing if not good. Guess I will just turn back to my $3 Kmart journal (which is out of this world).

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

I have 1 here which I haven't tested yet. I picked it up with high hopes as the company a dress on it was identical to that of the Officeworks X products (which are good, so I was hoping it would be comparable). Disappointing if not good. Guess I will just turn back to my $3 Kmart journal (which is out of this world).

Will be interested to read your opinion.

I did a quick test last night with some fairly dry inks/pens. There is a fair bit of feathering with it, and a bit of bleed through.The bleedthrough wasn't too bad, but I can see it annoying some people (and being far worse with wetter writing). The main issue with the journal is the binding. It is FAR too tight making it hard to even open the pages 90 degrees, no way of opening it flat without ripping the binding apart.

I won't be buying one again simply because it is very hard to even write on it (due to it not opening far enough).

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

I had a good look at a Coloured Journal that someone had opened.

Normally a 7mm rule is right up my alley but that line is so dark, not my style at all! The cover feels a bit tatty as well, and I noticed the same thing that msoko did about the binding.

Yes please, I'd love some snail mail \\ rockin' some Lamys and lookin' for more

Sorry to hear that the J Burrows range is less than satisfactory, but X Brand is excellent, even with a pen tuned to be a wet writer it handles effortlessly. Last time I went to my nearest Officeworks (Epping Road West Ryde) the X Brand display has little to offer compared to a couple of months prior.

msolok,

What is the Kmart journal you're referring to?

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Sorry to hear that the J Burrows range is less than satisfactory, but X Brand is excellent, even with a pen tuned to be a wet writer it handles effortlessly. Last time I went to my nearest Officeworks (Epping Road West Ryde) the X Brand display has little to offer compared to a couple of months prior.

msolok,

I mentioned in a previous thread that I think the X Brand is not permanent as it hasn't hit the regular shelving - only the specials display. They may add it in but right now it doesn't look like it.

msolok,

Kmart stores have A5 journals in their stationary area. They are very similar to Moleskine/Webbies in that they have a hard cover, a elastic closure and a bookmark. There is no envelope on the back cover though, and no branding at all. They cost a grand total of $3 each and seem to come in Red, Black and Purple covers. The paper inside is not particularly thick, is a ivory/cream colour and have some dark lines all the way across.

Writing in them is fairly smooth, though not glassy like Rhodia or Clairefontaine. Feathering on the paper is pretty much non-existant (some inks do have a tiny amount, but most have no issues), there is a little bit of see-through with some heavier inks (but really not bad at all), and unless you really soak the page there is no bleed through.

Take a look at some pics of the performance of these notebooks:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m510/msolok/Kmart%20Notebooks/4203ce62-fcc4-4cb9-b8ed-eb48b000f69c_zpscacfe067.jpg

I basically used an eye dropper to unload a huge amount of ink onto the page and then swirled it around. I also used wet inks which are prone to Bleedthrough on poor paper in my Visconti pens (which are water hoses). Basically testing the paper to it's extreme.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m510/msolok/Kmart%20Notebooks/5846223c-3d7e-423e-b191-07a092923741_zpsb9bf1862.jpg

And here's the result. The camera make it look worse than it is in person, but the paper holds up better than most premium papers out there.

The biggest surprise has been the consistency of the paper. I have used quite a few of these notebooks now and all the paper behaves the same.

Thanks for the lead, will go to my local Kmart (Chatswood Chase) for a look, and see if they are on par with X Brand and Nu.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Just a heads up for Aussies, Officeworks are selling Lihit Lab Aqua Drops B5 notebooks for $2.99. These are the same as the ones from here: http://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Aqua-Drops-Twist-Ring-Notebook-Semi-B5-Lined-30-Sheets-Blue-Green/pd/10082

You can also get just the paper refills for $2.00 for 30 sheets in both lined and grid.

They are clearly made for the Japanese market and handle ink very well. Not exactly the cheapest paper, but pretty well priced. Also has an interesting binding system.

My Mediocre Collection

Montblanc 149 F, 146 M, 146 BB, Lamy Safari M, Logo EF, Sheaffer Prelude M, Pilot Prera F, 78G F, Parker IM M, Vector F, Slimfold F, 45 F Monteverde Invincia Color Fusion M, 5x Platinum Preppy F, A bunch of Hero Pens and another 5-10 pens not worth mentioning..

Just a heads up for Aussies, Officeworks are selling Lihit Lab Aqua Drops B5 notebooks for $2.99. These are the same as the ones from here: http://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Aqua-Drops-Twist-Ring-Notebook-Semi-B5-Lined-30-Sheets-Blue-Green/pd/10082

You can also get just the paper refills for $2.00 for 30 sheets in both lined and grid.

They are clearly made for the Japanese market and handle ink very well. Not exactly the cheapest paper, but pretty well priced. Also has an interesting binding system.

Oh dear, can you all stop telling me about these? I have a lifetime's worth of paper and notebooks. BTW, at which Officeworks did you see them?

Got mine from Officeworks in Keysborough, VIC (South East Melbourne). Not sure if other stores are stocking it. Refills show up on their site, but no notebooks.

My Mediocre Collection

Montblanc 149 F, 146 M, 146 BB, Lamy Safari M, Logo EF, Sheaffer Prelude M, Pilot Prera F, 78G F, Parker IM M, Vector F, Slimfold F, 45 F Monteverde Invincia Color Fusion M, 5x Platinum Preppy F, A bunch of Hero Pens and another 5-10 pens not worth mentioning..

Thought I would check out my local Officeworks this morning. Lihit is definitely on clearance so act fast. How about this for a bargain? I found it in my store with the back to school clearance items. I bought 40 packets of refills and 10 notebooks. $40 total. 50c per refill and $2 per notebook. Wow! That is a bargain. Hurry - limited stocks available.

Thought I would check out my local Officeworks this morning. Lihit is definitely on clearance so act fast. How about this for a bargain? I found it in my store with the back to school clearance items. I bought 40 packets of refills and 10 notebooks. $40 total. 50c per refill and $2 per notebook. Wow! That is a bargain. Hurry - limited stocks available.

Wow! What a bargain!

Which officeworks store was that?

Wow! What a bargain!

Can't tell you until I get back and buy the rest. :P

Wow! What a bargain!

All bought at Epping Officeworks on High Street opposite Epping Plaza. They had them marked down in store (texta over the barcode) so not sure if other stores have the same deal. Even at their original price ($2.99 notebook and $2 refills) they are a bargain.

Can't tell you until I get back and buy the rest. :P

Ha!

You can safely hoard err ...buy up from the Epping store - I'm too far away!