Franklin Christoph Model 02 Intrinsic (Smoke & Ice)

cyranodb

This is my first first review, although by now I've owned and used quite a few fountain pens. Franklin Christoph is one brand I've found myself going back to - perhaps it's their exceptional customer service, perhaps it's the quality of their pens, or perhaps it's because they ship worldwide for free.

I had seen a "Smoke & Ice" version of their Model 40, and had been thinking of getting one for a while. So when I saw they're releasing a similar smoke & ice version of their flagship Model 02 (Intrinsic), I just had to get one!

Appearance, Material & Design

I'll let the photos do the talking!

post-108732-0-78802700-1392924732_thumb.jpg

post-108732-0-19227400-1392924787_thumb.jpg

post-108732-0-11233900-1392924822_thumb.jpg

post-108732-0-25281800-1392924872_thumb.jpg

The pen really looks & feels like a quality product. One thing you notice when you hold the hefty-looking pen for the first time is how light it actually is.

You see demonstrators all the time, but the whole concept of "Ice" (glossy transparent acrylic on the outside, textured inside) on this model is simply stunning! So much so that you cannot help but convert this to an eyedropper. The "smoke" parts (section, finial) are also nice, they have a subtle glow when held to light.

post-108732-0-82871800-1392924959_thumb.jpg

post-108732-0-03153400-1392925055_thumb.jpg

post-108732-0-68428000-1392925092_thumb.jpg

The design is quite interesting. The placement of the threads at the end of the section makes the pen comfortable to hold (without the threads getting in the way when you hold the section). Moving the threads in the cap to the very inside means the cap can be posted quite deep - making the posted length not much longer than capped length. Writing with the Model 02 feels about the same posted or not. You get a slight feeling of insecurity when you post the pen - I'm a little hesitant in pushing the cap down really firmly, the transparent barrel makes it look fragile (although I'm sure it isn't). I also wouldn't want scratches on the end of that beautiful barrel :)

Nib

To me, the nib is the most important part of a pen. However well a pen is constructed, if it doesn't write well, it's just an expensive paperweight. This is where the Model 02 moved from "eye candy" to a fantastic writer. Franklin-Christoph offers Mike Masuyama nibs for a small fee, and they're amazing! I've used standard round nibs in all my pens until recently. Then I tried the Masuyama Medium Cursive Italic when I purchased a Model 27 earlier. Let's just say I cannot see myself going back to round nibs any more! I ordered a gold M-CI nib with the Model 02. It writes very well, but a little too wet for my liking, so I ordered an additional steel nib that writes somewhat dry - it's super smooth, and now this pen is just right for my writing style!

post-108732-0-72207100-1392925395.jpg

post-108732-0-64133700-1392925232_thumb.jpg

Filling system

Standard cartridge/converter, but the material pretty much forces you to convert it to an eyedropper. The increased ink capacity doesn't hurt - another incentive to use this as a daily writer. I know it's a big risk, but a bit of silicone grease and a leap of faith, it's done. Let's see how it holds up over time. The ink I'm using (my absolute favourite, Noodler's Liberty's Elysium) would possibly make it a nightmare to clean later, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I get to it :P

post-108732-0-91257900-1392925270_thumb.jpg

Value

At $180 for a unique pen with a Masuyama nib ($90 additional for the gold nib), one that can be used as a daily writer (one that you'd want to keep using), I'd say it's pretty good value.

Conclusion

This is my favourite pen, one that I look forward to using the next time. It's wonderful to hold in your hand, and just as great to write with. Add Franklin Christoph's lifetime warranty and exceptional customer service, this ticks all the right boxes for me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cyranodb

• tinta

• Biff

• Doug C

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stunning!

I purchased one just like it at the LA Pen Show last weekend. Haven't filled it yet - cannot wait!

Thank you so much for posting!

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Beautiful. I thought this pen would look great filled with blue ink, and your pictures look exactly like I imagined it would. I'd been waiting for this to come out since they redesigned the 02. When I saw it on the website yesterday I saw beauty, something I hadn't seen in any pen for a long time. Mine'll be here on Saturday, though looking at your writing sample (thanks for that; not many writing samples around!) I wonder if I should've gone with the Medium CI instead of the Medium Stub. I'll see when it gets here, I guess. :)

lightless

Thanks for reading, and for your comments. I've always felt that there aren't enough reviews of Franklin Christoph pens around...

Beautiful. I thought this pen would look great filled with blue ink, and your pictures look exactly like I imagined it would. I'd been waiting for this to come out since they redesigned the 02. When I saw it on the website yesterday I saw beauty, something I hadn't seen in any pen for a long time. Mine'll be here on Saturday, though looking at your writing sample (thanks for that; not many writing samples around!) I wonder if I should've gone with the Medium CI instead of the Medium Stub. I'll see when it gets here, I guess. :)

The lines in the writing sample are 5.5mm apart (I think), so the writing is a little squished compared to my normal style; on 7mm lines it should look better.

Also, the Noodler's LE is an opaque ink, a transparent blue ink might make this look even cooler!

I have two Franklin-Christophs and enjoy them both. And F-C is an excellent company to deal with.

That 02 is beautiful. Very tempting.

Verba volant, scripta manent

This is my 3rd F-C pen (after Iterum Model 03, and Collegia Model 27), and it will certainly not be the last!

Just to share a bit more - I had an issue with the (gold) nib on the Model 03 when it arrived (railroading tines, quite possibly due to my high-pressure writing style), and after exchanging a few mails trying to figure out if it could be fixed, they simply shipped me a replacement nib along with an additional steel one "just in case I'm not happy with the replacement gold nib either"! They also paid for the cost of shipping the faulty nib back to them so they could investigate (bear in mind, all this shipping is to & from the other end of the world, to Dubai where I live).

I can't remember getting this kind of customer service from any similar company, and that's why I keep going back to them. Of course, if they made lousy pens I'd not be going back in the first place, so the fact that F-C pens write very well helps too...

I have two Franklin-Christophs and enjoy them both. And F-C is an excellent company to deal with.

That 02 is beautiful. Very tempting.

This is the next pen on my short list. Actually it was prior to reading this review. Gotta love F-C!

Not to get off topic, too far off anyway, what do you think about the Iterum? That's my next purchase after the Model 2.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I thought I was over demonstrators after getting 3 of different brands and designs, and being very content with them. Clearly I was wrong! This iced finish pushes the concept to a whole new level. Didn't plan to get any more demonstrators but I might just have to make adjustments. Also, the pictures are amazing, thanks for sharing. Just one thought, though - it looks a bit like a coccoon when uninked and reminded me of Frodo being trapped by the giant spider, Shelob, in LOTR.

Model 02 vs 03: similar threads at the end of section, similar length when capped.

However, the Model 03:

- is about an inch longer posted (too long for me to write posted)

- has a narrower section, so it's more comfortable for smaller hands

- is more "square" compared to the 02 (if you know what I mean...)

Other than that, very similar in your hand...

This is the next pen on my short list. Actually it was prior to reading this review. Gotta love F-C!
Not to get off topic, too far off anyway, what do you think about the Iterum? That's my next purchase after the Model 2.

FYI, those pictures show the pen very much inked, i.e. using the converter. That's what you get if you're not adventurous enough to go eyedropper mode!

I thought I was over demonstrators after getting 3 of different brands and designs, and being very content with them. Clearly I was wrong! This iced finish pushes the concept to a whole new level. Didn't plan to get any more demonstrators but I might just have to make adjustments. Also, the pictures are amazing, thanks for sharing. Just one thought, though - it looks a bit like a coccoon when uninked and reminded me of Frodo being trapped by the giant spider, Shelob, in LOTR.

I thought one F-C 02 would be enough - until I saw your review!! Will be ordering one just like yours with another medium CI from Matsuyama. One of the best nibs I own!

Your review got me off the fence. I just ordered one of the Anderson Pens Edition 02s.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Howdy cyranodb,

You did fine on your first review. I just happened to go to F-C site two days ago, first time to see this 02. It sure is a beauty. Your pictures are great, they're well done plus the ink really sets the FP off. It's good to hear from someone that's got one and likes it.

I got a Model 29 in Radiant Red just in the nick of time last year. Got a Masuyama med. gold stub. At first I thought I'd made a mistake. After working at it, ( yes it was me, I'm still a 'Newbie' ) I wouldn't part with it now.

Thanks again for the read & pix.

aggie

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Howdy aggie... And thanks! Masuyama nibs are like magic, by now I have four.

Also glad to be the trigger for fence-sitters ;)

Slightly off the topic (and not sure if appropriate to ask this here) - would anyone know how frequently Michael Masuyama responds to emails? I tried to contact him about a nib customisation request, but the conversation has gone quiet after an initial response... maybe I should just wait a few more days...

Howdy cyranodb,
You did fine on your first review. I just happened to go to F-C site two days ago, first time to see this 02. It sure is a beauty. Your pictures are great, they're well done plus the ink really sets the FP off. It's good to hear from someone that's got one and likes it.
I got a Model 29 in Radiant Red just in the nick of time last year. Got a Masuyama med. gold stub. At first I thought I'd made a mistake. After working at it, ( yes it was me, I'm still a 'Newbie' ) I wouldn't part with it now.
Thanks again for the read & pix.

aggie

Thank you for this review "cyranodb".

While trying to look up all information & reviews of the FC pens I chanced on yours.

Love that smoked demonstrator look.

The pen I am waiting to be made is the smaller model 03 in the Black & Maroon version , with no clip.

I'm very familiar with Mr. Masuyama's excellent work on nibs & have two of his wonderful italics ground from 14K Sailor MS nibs.

I'm curious how wide Mike's 18K JoWo M-CI is. I am looking for a fairly wide 0.9 or 1.0 italic in 18K.

Cheers: Istvan

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)