Pilot Vanishing Point With Special Alloy F Nib

j.a.j.

I've been using fountain pens actively only for few months and i quite much like the stiffness of non-gold nibs. I quite like my Pilot 78G F nib. It is quite stiff compared to my Sailor Profit 14K F nib. I might later come to appreciate the extra smoothness gold nibs give but at the moment i quite much enjoy to not having to feel the "OMG am i going to beak it" feeling that i associate with gold nibs.

I have two questions that i have been trying to find information about but not succeeded. If you are in possession / have tried special alloy nib i would greatly appreciate more information.

How would you compare the nibs of Pilot 78G F and special alloy Vanishing point F?

I have read that Vanishing Point with special alloy is rather dry. If possible can you verbally compere it to 78G? HAve you experience in adjusting it to be more wet?

Another option to VP with special alloy nib would be to order smoothed EF nib from Pendleton Brown to my TWSBI 580.

Non notisi signi.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minddance

• Twister292

• j.a.j.

• Malcy

I have a UK bought Pilot Capless (VP is the US name) with a medium nib. The nib is quite free flowing/wettish and has not been adjusted. It also has a oft/springy feel.

I wouldn't worry about damaging a gold nib, it would need serious abuse to do that. I'm not sure where you would get a special alloy nib as all the nibs sold here are gold.

I would be ordering it from japan, probaply from engeika.

I _know_ i am not hurting the nib but i _feel_ i might and that is the problem. I do believe i'll get over it in time especially after learning lighter grip but i want to have smooth heavy weight pen with F sized nib pen soon.

Non notisi signi.

I recently asked about the "special alloy" nibs on the Japanese pen subforum. The consensus seemed to be that they are sometimes dryer than the gold nibs but solid writers.

I understand your desire...I have a VP with the gold nib and it is a bit soft, which I think comes from the nib being very narrow/thin -- the tines flex, and I can feel it, and like you I prefer somewhat stiffer nibs.

I think you might like the VP with a special alloy nib - and they are cheaper over eBay.

• 1 month later...

Just received Vanishing Point with special alloy nib.

I do love it. Might have to buy some 18k nibbed Vanishing Pont to get the matte black body :-)

Feel of the pen is quite close to cheaper steel nibbed Pilots, a bit like having very smooth 78G fine nib on overweight and sized Metropolitan. And that is a good thing.

Non notisi signi.

• 4 years later...

How does one tell the difference between a Special Alloy nib from the 18k? Are the inscriptions or colour on the nib different? Is there a noticeable price difference?

How does one tell the difference between a Special Alloy nib from the 18k? Are the inscriptions or colour on the nib different? Is there a noticeable price difference?

The gold nibs have the "18K 750" engraved on them just below the size, and near the base of the nib they have a hallmark.

Yes there is a sizeable price difference; Gold nib VPs are at about US$70-odd more expensive.

Thank you, does the special alloy have any engraving?

Yes; nib size and month/year of manufacture is still engraved

Yes; nib size and month/year of manufacture is still engraved

Thanks :) Sorry I did not phrase my intention clearly, I meant to ask, does the nib have any engraving to indicate that it is a special alloy?

In other words, how can one tell if it is a special alloy?

Edited by minddance

Thanks :) Sorry I did not phrase my intention clearly, I meant to ask, does the nib have any engraving to indicate that it is a special alloy?

Only by the lack of markings indicating it's gold. There's nothing that says it's steel or an alloy or anything else.

It has all the markings except the "18K-750" and the hallmark for gold. Other than that it doesn't have any specific engraving to mention alloy.

It has all the markings except the "18K-750" and the hallmark for gold. Other than that it doesn't have any specific engraving to mention alloy.

thank you :)