I'm Buying My First Fp. Should I Get A Ms 149 Or An Agatha Christie?

APP Adrian

I agree with MBFan on this one. Other than size, nib and body, there is not a huge difference between the 146 and the 149. I have used both and prefer the 146 size. If you opt for the 146 you have more options as far as pens from different eras for your $300. If you have an opportunity to hold and write with both pens you should make use of it. Either way, 149 or 146, you will have a very nice pen for your first fountain pen. With 4 posts I believe it is still appropriate to say, "Welcome to the FPN."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• APP Adrian

• Ursus

• provis

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+ 1 for a 146. It was my first 'higher range' fountain pen that accompanied me through university and even after 22 years still makes it into my regular rotation. They can be purchased for reasonable prices and easily resold again if it is not your type of pen. Also, as indicated by others, most Montblanc limited editions (Writers and others) have nibs and size based on the 146.

The fact that you equate price with quality means you are still green under the gills. Hundreds of good pens can be had for <$300.

Make that thousands! :)

There really isn't any need to start out with an expensive pen. The best way I think is to try out pens of different nib sizes and shapes to find out what works best for you, then you can purchase an expensive pen with confidence that it's what you really want. Pilot has a nice line of low cost pens that all have swappable nibs and run the gamut of nib sizes from a tiny EF up to italics (Penmanship, 78G, Kakuno, Metropolitan/MR, Plumix), it's very useful and the pens work quite well, plus when you're done you have a set of pens to be backups or to carry along to the grocery store or wherever you don't want to take a $300 pen.

Out of the 30 or so pens I have, the Metropolitan and 78G are the ones I keep coming back too (I prefer lightweight pens that use cartridges or converters), and I love the vintage Sheaffer italic NoNonsense pens for when I want a little flair in my writing. My more expensive pens don't seem to measure up, they're all either too heavy or not as convenient.

Edited by WirsPlm

you have a set of pens to be backups or to carry along to the grocery store or wherever you don't want to take a $300 pen.

If you buy just one good pen, I think that you should be ready to bring it everywhere you go. You should not just put it on the mantelpiece and salute it every morning but actually allow it to be used. That's what they are made for anyway.

If you buy just one good pen, I think that you should be ready to bring it everywhere you go. You should not just put it on the mantelpiece and salute it every morning but actually allow it to be used. That's what they are made for anyway.

That you have never lost, damaged, or loaned a pen doesn't mean that these things don't happen, and it's good to be prepared so that when your boss asks for a pen you have something to give them besides your $300 Montblanc.

That you have never lost, damaged, or loaned a pen doesn't mean that these things don't happen, and it's good to be prepared so that when your boss asks for a pen you have something to give them besides your $300 Montblanc.

Well, most accidents happen at home anyway, or so they say. And if I had a boss, I would certainly hand him an expensive pen, and if he broke it I would have it repaired (without informing him, of cause - just say "What is a pen among friends?" and smile) and use his bad conscience right on the spot to discuss my salary. What I mean is, that the price of a pen should not keep you from actually using it. Besides, a beautiful pen is a fine companion when you are under way.

Have you got a pen shop in your area where they will allow you to try the pens out before you buy them? If you find a pen that is somewhat out of your price range you can always try to get it used on e-bay anyway. I doubt that you can get the pens that you suggested for $ 300 if you want them to look somewhat new; but don't worry - there are lots and lots and lots of great pens out there.

I live in Toronto, so I'm going to check the local pen store there and try a few pens before buying one =D

I partly agree; but price is not everything. What pen will give you the most enjoyment depends on a lot of things apart from the price and the mere looks of it. Personally I don't use Lamy pens, but I do admire the Safaries for their modern design and the way they signalize that you are dealing with a working tool (especially the yellow version - and I don't mean the neon yellow).

I want a MB 146 or 149 for the prestige.

Ever since I was around the age of 10, I've always enjoyed the style of the MB "meusterstuck"

I've never tried a fountain pen so I wouldn't know the different types of nibs and how to hold a fountain pen lol.

So in the mean time I'm just buying a pen just for the prestige and style =D

And great replies so far, I appreciate it.

+1 for the advice you're received up to now. (and that's a great collection, provis!)

If you're living in (or close to) Toronto, you might want to drop in on the T.O. monthly meet-ups (see this thread for more info). I know people bring their inks to the meetups for others to try, and I'm pretty sure that if you asked nicely someone would bring their 149 (and maybe a 146 and/or an Agatha Christie, although that's asking a lot) for you to test drive. This would give you a good idea as to whether you want to spend your money on a 149 or save up for the Christie.

There's also supposed to be a pen show in Toronto this November (see this thread), so it's possible you might want to save up for this show in case some of the better known dealers in the NE (PenGuin, Ron Zorn, etc.) decide to come.

HTH and good luck with your decision!

I'm only 18, am I to young to participate =D.

That made me laugh lol.

Ever since I was around the age of 10, I've always enjoyed the style of the MB "meusterstuck"

I've never tried a fountain pen so I wouldn't know the different types of nibs and how to hold a fountain pen lol.

So in the mean time I'm just buying a pen just for the prestige and style =D

And great replies so far, I appreciate it.

If it's "meusterstruck" someone's selling you a fake MB.

That's why you give him a cheap Bic ballpoint =D.

If it's "meusterstruck" someone's selling you a fake MB.

I know, i was just to lazy to search up the correct way to spell it.

That's an honest answer and a legitimate motive.

If you want a MB, take one and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. No other pen brand gets the same "prestige" attention than MB (plus they make fine pens, too).

Still I recommend trying a 146 or 149 beforehand. Even if the 149 is the alpha beast it's of no use when you don't take it with you because you are uncomfortable with it's huge size and girth.

If you are in for some additional showing-off, may I suggest the Boheme? It's a true MB, but has the added "wow"-effect of having a retractable nib. That's always a cool thing for bystanders...

Greetings,

Michael