Lamy Safari Gripping

Grayhart

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

my problem with lamy grip section is NOT the 'slipping'. but the design of the grip section itself. the way i hold a pen to write just not meant to go well with the grip design of lamy pens. too bad, i really like the look of lamy pens. i've purchased 3 lamys in the past but the reality is i just can't write well with lamy's grip section design. hence, i've given up on lamy.

You can get the pur and Studio.

Those have round sections, no finger flats to deal with.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grayhart

• rudyhou

• ac12

• Inkysloth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

You can get the pur and Studio.

Those have round sections, no finger flats to deal with.

true. i could. but then again, it is the design of safari and al-star that got me liking lamy in the first place. if the grip section made rounded like the pur or studio, i would have acquired a whole collection of safari and al-star by now.

-rudy-

• 1 month later...

You may have the issue with the Safari I imagine many left handed writers have...it's made for a right handed grip. Pelikan has left and right handed sections, Lamy has never gone that route. I bought plastic repair putty at the hobby store and filled in those grooves to have a round section. I had enought of trying to write with my fingers awkwardly trying to grip the ridges. The left handed nib is for overwriters, not much use if you hold the pen in a regular slanted position. With so many writers being left handed I don't understand Lamy's not wanting to accomodate them(us)!

There's a silicon putty called Sugru that could be used to add grips, or just fill the slots of the grip area to build up a round section.

http://sugru.com/

It's texture is something like less-tacky Blu-Tak, it sticks to nearly anything, and cures in less than 24 hours without stinking of vinegar.

Instagram @inkysloth

Or use epoxy putty. Mash together with your fingers and press onto the surface. It is hard enough to shape with a file in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Just make sure to sand the pen first, so the epoxy has something to bind to.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Or use epoxy putty. Mash together with your fingers and press onto the surface. It is hard enough to shape with a file in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Just make sure to sand the pen first, so the epoxy has something to bind to.

The nice thing about Sugru is it cures to a firm rubbery texture, but not rock solid . Epoxy putty has quite an unforgiving feel under the fingers. It would also work to build up a pen section to a different shape, but I think Sugru would feel nicer.

Instagram @inkysloth

Never had this problem, but maybe is more comfortable to use the Pilot Kakuno, is very comfortable.

• 1 month later...

I think the fatigue and hurt comes from writing with the same pen for a long period.

Adding a couple of round grip, plastic student pens like the Lamy Nexx, a Pelikan Future, a contemporary Sheaffer No Nonsense or a new old stock (no longer produced but still available) Shaffer No Nonsense would help tremendously.

I wish the Lamy Nexx had a round gip. It is, however, triangular. I stumbled upon this thread trying to find a way to rotate that grip!

Edited by RJS

I wish the Lamy Nexx had a round gip. It is, however, triangular. I stumbled upon this thread trying to find a way to rotate that grip!

yeah, i too have lamy nexx. it certainly does NOT have a rounded grip.

-rudy-

For hacking things, including modern pens, you might try this stuff. http://sugru.com/

It's incredible, sticks to everything, and when it cures, it's basically silicon rubber. It could easily convert a faceted grip into a round one. You could mold the grip to match your fingers, let it cure and viola: a custom grip. And if you use it and don't like it, it should be fairly easy to peel off of a modern, plastic pen.

Have nothing to do with the company except a very happy customer. I also love looking at all the hacks people have come up with.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Ironicly the Vista is my third Lamy pen as y first was the Logo LOL for now I'm quite happy with my Lamy Pens despite not using the Logo and Lamy 2000 due to the fact I'm limited to 2 pens per cycle and sadly I'm loving my Pilot CH 91 a bit too much but again thats my first semi-flexy pen... I might retire it but hmm... if you do not like the feel of the Tripod grip to me it was just gind but I adapted my hand into another grip I hold the top of the tapered section but that's just me else you could go for cpl, Accent, 2000, Logo depending on your price range and I'm a lefty

Edited by Algester

• 2 years later...

Old thread, but still might interest people.

If you have "slippery" problems you might consider using "Plasti Dip" to get more "traction". The pro is it can be removed and has not to be glued on.