Lamy 2000 - understated but much appreciated

MYU

I've just got one from the Marketplace and damn but that's a broad medium!

I love the understated design and as a writer it suits me very well but I've just ordered a lot more blotting paper.

Great review of a wonderful pen. I have a question concerning the piston filling. In my 2000 the piston knob is very loose in the first turn; then when the piston actually moves it gets a bit stiffer. Is this normal? I mean, when I have the pen filled and ready to write, the blind cap (piston knob) rotates quite freely. I think it's normal since when I bought mine I was shown other 2000s with different nibs and they all were like this. I'd like to know whether it's the same with your 2000s.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• Juan in Andalucia

• Philip1209

• I am not a number

In my 2000 the piston knob is very loose in the first turn; then when the piston actually moves it gets a bit stiffer. Is this normal? ...I'd like to know whether it's the same with your 2000s.

It is with mine (also bought used).

Mine has started to skip (rather annoyingly) and will be subjected to another thorough clean out before the next filling.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

In my 2000 the piston knob is very loose in the first turn; then when the piston actually moves it gets a bit stiffer. Is this normal? ...I'd like to know whether it's the same with your 2000s.

It is with mine (also bought used).

Mine has started to skip (rather annoyingly) and will be subjected to another thorough clean out before the next filling.

So, you can also rotate the knob about 340º with almost no resistance before the piston moves. Which ink have you used that caused the skipping? I've been using parker quink black. My other current favorite ink is Waterman blueblack, but I still haven't tried it with the 2000. I have plenty of different inks, but in the last year or so I've been using those two.

I've read about people lubricating the barrel with silicone, and I've wondered whether some of that silicone will end up in the nib and cause the pen to skip. Just a guess.

So, you can also rotate the knob about 340º with almost no resistance before the piston moves. Which ink have you used that caused the skipping? I've been using parker quink black. My other current favorite ink is Waterman blueblack, but I still haven't tried it with the 2000. I have plenty of different inks, but in the last year or so I've been using those two.

Yes, pretty well one full turn before resistance. I'm using a homebrew ink which is mainly Parker Quink based. I didn't do a full clean of the pen before using it and will flush it and ultrasonically clean it before I fill it again. I will probably try another ink next time.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you folks liked the review. :) The Lamy 2000 isn't a fault-free pen, as there are times when it can have some quirks about it. But they are easily remedied.

Regarding a stiff piston, this is a known issue when there hasn't been sufficient lubrication. You can do it yourself, or send it off to Lamy--they will eagerly take care of you, usually as a warranty service (so no charge to you).

About skipping, this does tend to happen with new pens at the fault of left-over manufacturing residue in the pen. A very good flushing with a partial ammonia mix usually does the trick. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, all the better. Once cleaned, you should find it writes with a continuous and generous flow. :)

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

For what it's worth I contacted Lamy about the leak that mine had. They said that I should send it to them in Germany for a free repair. When I got it back I think the only original part was the clip, an amazing level of customer service and well worth a mention.

• 5 weeks later...

Certainly not trying to hijack this thread. The review is spot-on. I finally relented -- went to my local pen-pusher and picked up a 2000 today. Great pen! Very light, understated and a very(!) nice writer to boot. The 2000 is truly a pen that won't attract much attention from anyone than another FP user. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 for the "cool factor."

It filled quite nice (piston wasn't the least bit finicky). Fit and finish is extremely good and it performed without hesitation each time I either unfastened the cap or picked it up from rest (left un-capped). I'm unsure how useful the ink window is (other than holding up to a light source and possibly determining the color ink?).

I probably should read through everyone's input but what is the "patina" I've heard mentioned? Does it go from black to a brownish-tinge?

Regards,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

The Lamy 2k makes me sad. I want to like this pen, I love broad, wet writers. The ink capacity sounds attractive and I like the idea of a pen not being flashy.

When I dipped the pen in a store once though two things struck me. First, and least consequentially, darn thing was ugly. This isn't a deal-breaker for me but it stinks for anything over 100$. Secondly, my fingers had a tendency to slide down the pen towards the nib when i was writing with it. The brushed stainless around the nib section was just too smooth and lacked a lip to stop my fingers.

Guess I'll just cling to my levenger TW.

Certainly not trying to hijack this thread. The review is spot-on. I finally relented -- went to my local pen-pusher and picked up a 2000 today. Great pen! Very light, understated and a very(!) nice writer to boot. The 2000 is truly a pen that won't attract much attention from anyone than another FP user. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 for the "cool factor."

It filled quite nice (piston wasn't the least bit finicky). Fit and finish is extremely good and it performed without hesitation each time I either unfastened the cap or picked it up from rest (left un-capped). I'm unsure how useful the ink window is (other than holding up to a light source and possibly determining the color ink?).

I probably should read through everyone's input but what is the "patina" I've heard mentioned? Does it go from black to a brownish-tinge?

Regards,

Paul

If you hold the pen horizontal to the light the ink window does a good job indicating ink supply.

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

Lamy 2000 - I simply couldn't resist. Even more so after this very detailed review. Having bought my Lamy 2000 today I'm sure I will have a lot of fun with this absolutely cool FP.

Best regards,

E.

• 1 month later...

JFF and Paul -- congrats on becoming L2k owners! :D

Paul, "patina" is usually suggestive of a softening or matte effect to the surface from rubbing, no color change implied. So don't worry; you will not end up with a brownish tinged pen. :)

A few others on FPN have reported becoming recent owners. Please tack on your ownership experiences when you get a chance--the more the merrier.

• 2 weeks later...
A few others on FPN have reported becoming recent owners. Please tack on your ownership experiences when you get a chance--the more the merrier.

I'm a soon-to-be recent owner...I ordered my L2K on Friday and am eagerly awaiting it's delivery. MYU (or any other L2K owners), have you tried any Noodler's in it? I ordered a bunch today (Heart of Darkness, Black, and Kiowa Pecan), but after reading around here I've become concerned that I may get gumminess and/or nib creep. It would be great if a few L2K+Noodler's users could set my mind at ease...

I ordered a bunch today (Heart of Darkness, Black, and Kiowa Pecan), but after reading around here I've become concerned that I may get gumminess and/or nib creep. It would be great if a few L2K+Noodler's users could set my mind at ease...

I used Noodler's Tiananmen with my Lamy 2000 for a while with no problems whatsoever. Great flow, no nib creep etc.

I used FPN Tulipe Noire with the pen for a bit. Flowed well, but my Lamy 2000 developed an odour. Maybe some kind of reaction with the Makrolon? Anyway, may want to avoid that ink.

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

I've had my 2000 for about a year now, I've got an extra fine on mine. The nib was replaced once since I damaged the nib when trying to get the nib and feed unit out (seemed like a good idea at the time, now...don't really think so :headsmack: ). I had a slight leakage problem at the cap clutch ring but when I sent it to LAMY, they replaced the entire barrel for me! It's writing beautifully now and is my everyday writer. The extra fine nib has a bit of flex in it, not heaps but a bit, I can get some variation with mine.

I'm a soon-to-be recent owner...I ordered my L2K on Friday and am eagerly awaiting it's delivery. MYU (or any other L2K owners), have you tried any Noodler's in it? I ordered a bunch today (Heart of Darkness, Black, and Kiowa Pecan), but after reading around here I've become concerned that I may get gumminess and/or nib creep. It would be great if a few L2K+Noodler's users could set my mind at ease...

However, I tried Zhivago and La Coleur Royale in my 2000 and it hated it. Nib creep was so bad, it got onto the stainless steel part of the pen and made for really inky fingers. Zhivago was a bit better than LaCoro but both could've only been used at home, couldn't carry around my 2000 anywhere as it'd spit ink into the cap. Plus general nib creep was worse on the 2000 probably because the nib is hooded.

I got an XF 2000 about a month ago, and it was intended to become my One True Pen, which it has indeed lived up to. Due to annual exams, this is the time of the year when I am writing the most, sometimes up to 8 hours a day, so the pen has thoroughly been put through its paces.

When I first got it, I found the nib a bit toothy, to be honest. I got out a telescope eyepiece (my makeshift loupe) and checked the nib alignment, which looked alright but I tweaked it a little just to be sure. I also smoothed it down a bit with a (look away!) nail buffer, but not enough (was being cautious) to make much difference. As I've used it, though, the nib has been adjusting to my hand and is getting smoother and smoother and it has become quite a joy to write with.

For me, the pen is the perfect size and weight. I have long fingers and a tense tight grip (esp. during exams!), so the thickness of the pen was a huge reason I wanted it and it feels nice in my hand. It isn't very heavy, which is grand because I get pains in my right shoulder as it is from writing so much, and can't really use a weighty pen for more than about an hour. Sizewise, this pen is perfect for me. In terms of grip, it is, too. The ears don't get in my way, but do help me to keep the pen in the right orientation. The brushed metal grip works fine even in my exam-sweaty hands, and I've never had a problem with slipperiness even when I've just put hand lotion on.

As for the build quality, last weekend I dropped this beloved pen accidentally on a wooden floor. I think it slightly knocked some things out of alignment, since the piston knob isn't perfectly flush anymore, and the ears seem to wiggle a little, but compared to the Pelikan whose barrel cracked in a similar incident (oh me and my pens, lamentable), the 2000 came through like a champ. I couldn't even find any scratches or dings on it.

Dropping it, if anything, did me a favour in that I am less precious about this pen and have decided to basically use it to destruction in which case I'll just buy another. Because I would get another one, no hesitations. Because of this attitude, I can use whatever ink I like in it, carry it however I please, and post it with vigor and impunity. To that end, I've been using Lamy Blue-Black ink in it because I wanted durability for examinations. Oh noes! Iron gall! Oh yes...I adore it, even though the colour is a tad boring. In fact, I've ordered some R&K Scabiosa for more iron gall goodness.

As for posting, I use my pens posted, no compromises. I have very long hands, so it is necessary. Posting the cap on the 2000 has worked fine for me, but it has left a shiny-ish ring around the piston end of the pen, and because I am quite indelicate about it now (for the above reasons), I'm picking up some scratches from where the cap edge meets the pen body because sometimes I twist it a little. I am being abusive, after all, poor lovely pen. I don't care, honestly. It's my pen to be used so it wears its battle scars proudly. It's already gaining that sort of patina that some have mentioned in addition to its shiny spots and scratches. I do deign to allow it to travel in a pen case, which is the only concession I have made to its grandeur, but truly this is a pen designed to be used with pleasure, not left forlorn in some pen display case.

Ah, but the beauty of it! Yes, I have to say something about the aesthetics: it was the look of the modernist future that first drew me to this pen. When I write with it, I wonder why this wasn't the pen used in the floating pen scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey, because, let's be honest, Kubrick totally would have used a Lamy 2000. This pen is probably the most wonderful pen I've ever fancied, looks-wise. I am one of those people with one foot firmly in the future, and another firmly in the past, and I suppose my love of the 2000 reflects that. Maybe some think it is boring or understated or whatever, but not to me. When I bring it out, it says Behold! For I am a gorgeous pen! And I suppose that's why I pined so hard for it, really.

If I wasn't a slightly starving student, I would also splash out and get the matching 2000 pencil, since I fancy the pen so much. And if the 2000 is ever discontinued for any reason whatever, I'll buy ten on the spot.

Edited by bluestocking

On Noodler's and the L2K I would say that the nib creep is slightly annoying but bearable. I have BSB in two 2Ks and despite its bluey-blueness trying to work its way onto the aluminium section (but generally progressing less than a couple of millimetres) Noodler's behaves OK.

Edit: I didn't have my "English is my First Language" head on when I posted the original...

Edited by I am not a number

I purchased a 2000 over a month ago. At first I had some skipping problems, so I disassembled the pen and gave it a thorough cleaning. That took care of the skipping and this thing writes like a dream. As I'm not into flashy, I really enjoy the minimalist design.

As to Noodler's, I've had it loaded almost exclusively with the dreaded Baystate Blue and Concord Grape. There is a slight bit of inkiness on the nib near the section, but it's minor.

Edited by fuddmain

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)

Ah, but the beauty of it! Yes, I have to say something about the aesthetics: it was the look of the modernist future that first drew me to this pen. When I write with it, I wonder why this wasn't the pen used in the floating pen scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey, because, let's be honest, Kubrick totally would have used a Lamy 2000. This pen is probably the most wonderful pen I've ever fancied, looks-wise. I am one of those people with one foot firmly in the future, and another firmly in the past, and I suppose my love of the 2000 reflects that. Maybe some think it is boring or understated or whatever, but not to me. When I bring it out, it says Behold! For I am a gorgeous pen! And I suppose that's why I pined so hard for it, really.

I like your idea... maybe Lamy would've stepped up to the plate an installed some button accents on the barrel, to suggest that you could switch between different colored inks perhaps. Did you see what Parker produced for 2ASO? It was a fascinating design.

It's hard to believe that this pen was conceived and first produced in 1966. I have to believe it must've looked so futuristic, lending to the chosen name. There are a few folks on FPN who are die-hard Lamy 2k pen owners--I think one guy picked up his in the 1970's. It is such a flagship pen for Lamy, I doubt they'll keep making it for as long as the company is around and fountain pens are still used by people. :)

Some interesting feedback from folks about ink experiences. This has got me thinking... I don't recall seeing one posted yet: an ink compatibility chart for pens, like the Lamy 2k. It would list inks discovered as compatible, incompatible, and unpredictable (where there's about a 50/50 split on compatibility). Hmmmmm... ;)

. . . To that end, I've been using Lamy Blue-Black ink in it because I wanted durability for examinations. Oh noes! Iron gall! Oh yes...I adore it, even though the colour is a tad boring. In fact, I've ordered some R&K Scabiosa for more iron gall goodness. . .

Though slightly ADD, what about Lamy Blue-Black ink is durable? Is it waterproof? I just bought a bottle on Saturday and had no idea that it was durable in any way.

Unless I'm mistaken Lamy Blue Black ink contains iron gall to obtain it's water resistant qualities - see Richard Binders article in his reference section (www.richardspens.com) entitled "Ink: the good, the bad and the ugly" for a more thorough description.

Well, thanks to MYU's reviews I've picked up an L2K and, horrible to say as a devoted "51" fan, a Lamy 27m. The L2K is an outstanding pen. I was packing my bag last night for my early morning appointment with the gym and forgot to put my L2K back in my pen case. I realized it on the way to the office and was a bit sad that I'd miss out on using it today - sort of withdrawal. Had to pull out my trusty old Parker "51" vac, which was actually a nice reason to use it as I hadn't for a few months due to some travel. Anywho, the L2K has much to commend it in terms of appearance (understated, which I like), ink capacity and ease of use.

I will say that my particular EF example arrived with the tines slightly misaligned (which I fixed after examination under a loupe) as well as a bit of a sticky piston (which I also fixed with the judicious application of some silicone) - but I was a bit surprised that a pen with such a reputation and a slightly above $100 price tag would have those kinds of problems out of the box. I know there have been stories of spotty QC and obviously I got one of the monday morning or friday afternoon pens. Once adjusted and tweaked, well, it is a pleasure to write with - smooth and 6-7 wetness.

I've loaded Waterman Florida Blue (my test ink) and now I'm using a 1:1 mix of American Blue and Luxury Blue

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)