Carene Project Looms

Left FPN

The seller stated the bottom half is broken in the middle but I think they meant the block/grip/section has broken.

fpn_1392204329__carenebroken.jpg

Edited by Force

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• RMN

• pajaro

• amble63

Top Posters In This Topic

To break a Carene barrel you must apply quite some force.. (pun not intended)

Wasn't there someone with a spare nibunit the other day??

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

To break a Carene barrel you must apply quite some force.. (pun not intended)

Wasn't there someone with a spare nibunit the other day??

D.ick

I have a pen which is missing the C clip in the section and a damaged section ring so I can now build one working pen from all the parts. The cap and barrel will also undergo a lacquer refinish.

Edited by Force

Another one like the red one? That was exceptionally pretty.

If you wanted to get a nib unit in a case like this, are there sources for it? I think the sections I have seen are mostly black and would interchange nicely as with Sonnets and Preludes, but I would expect Carene section/nib units to be pricey. Often when I wanted a nib for a Sonnet it was cheaper to buy the whole used pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

On the topic of broken Carenes-

Force, could you include an exploded view of the section and it's metal parts? I think it would be appreciated by many of us.

And what is with the gold barrel end caps becoming loose? Is there a best way to tighten those back up?

thanks much

No sorry it will be something different. I have been considering Blues either Mediterranian, Baltic, French or Sea...are you seeing the tie up for these choices.

Hi, yes I will post pictures of the parts from that pen and the work to reassemble it. In the mean time here is one from an earlier rebuild,

fpn_1392228740__carenenibbreakdown.jpg

The pen coming should provide the C clip and the ring above it.

Ref the barrel, it only has a tassie which is held on by a cross head screw. A long cross driver is required there.

The band on tha cap is bonded in with an epoxy cement.

Edited by Force

it has arrived and these are the pictures as it came out of the envelope...yes, envelope. I am relatively happy with paying £15 for the parts.

fpn_1392395717__dscn0370.jpg

ouch...

fpn_1392395801__dscn0375.jpg

fpn_1392395846__dscn0365.jpg

it was being used like this.

Edited by Force

The only thing holding the section together was luck + maybe some cyno and the nipple inside the converter. Odd thing, I feel it's an oldish pen but it has the new style converter.

You can see why they break where they do (other posters have displayed similar breaks) it's right on the sheer line with the brass insert. The material looks very grainy so it could be a poor quality batch of plastic. That aside I would also add a heavy blow would sheer it at this location too ;) .

fpn_1392398916__dscn0423.jpg

fpn_1392398950__dscn0422.jpg

fpn_1392398983__dscn0417.jpg

fpn_1392399032__dscn0408.jpg

Bad luck with the converter...

D.ick

~

~

Very nice exploded pictures. I am hoping I never need that info.

Trying now to erase my mental etch-a-sketch of pen repairs.

It would be so nice to just be the loose nut in the chair.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Nibs out,

Ease up the wings with a scalpel,

fpn_1392464228__dscn0434.jpg

tuck a small piece of grit paper, reversed, under the nib tip,

fpn_1392464325__dscn0437.jpg

ease under a small pair of pliers,

fpn_1392464385__dscn0439.jpg

gently pull and waggle,

fpn_1392464429__dscn0441.jpg

all out with no damage (other than the scratches put on by previous owners),

fpn_1392464470__dscn0445.jpg

some polishing required for that,

fpn_1392464541__dscn0449.jpg

and finally the result of he using cyno or other to bond the parts together. Its feed, though I am using the one from the other pen, is proving difficult to get out.

fpn_1392464647__dscn0466.jpg

It's out now,

fpn_1392470241__dscn0479.jpg

both pens in the work box, only one adjuster ring to get apart which will require a collet grip at work next week,

fpn_1392470383__dscn0492.jpg

Edited by Force

Closing the slit and getting the tips back together is the hardest part. I had to anneal this one to move it 0.5mm. Surprising how tough they are when you don't want them to be.

Before,

fpn_1392552509__dscn0523.jpg

during, repolishing with the old broken section come into its own as a nib holder.

fpn_1392552185__dscn0538.jpg

after,

fpn_1392552314__dscn0552.jpg

Scratches removed with Fine 240 rubber block (the item they are resting on) and sliver polish polished.

fpn_1392558400__dscn0583.jpg

Edited by Force

Nice work Force

How will the annealing (had to llok that one up...) affect nibperformance in the future when exerting pressure?

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

~

Nice work Force

How will the annealing (had to llok that one up...) affect nibperformance in the future when exerting pressure?

D.ick

It will (should) age harden.

It's been a busy day, from car repairs to pen time in the shed,

fpn_1393091602__dscn0649.jpg

fpn_1393091715__dscn0664.jpg

and further polishing, note the what would be hidden stamping is P over pen W

fpn_1393138187__dscn0647.jpg

Edited by Force

Looking nice in the "nude".....

So what was the one part you were looking for?

That little half-circle top left?

Where should that go?

D.ick

~

~