Goldspot Pens

SimonJamesLucas

Has anyone on this forum purchased a pen from Goldspot Pens and if so, are they a seller to be trusted? I'm a little worried as I have ordered a Wordsworth from them, only to be told by other online retailers that this pen is discontined and thus, no longer available. Goldspot show my pen as back ordered.

In addition to advertising the Wordswoth on their own site, they are also selling them on Ebay. I'm not sure what to believe and whether I should try for a refund (I paid by Pay Pal, so hopefully have some redress).

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SimonJamesLucas

• warblerick

• Jackson

• MisterBoll

I'm not familiar with Goldspot, but Todd at isellpens has a really good price on the Wordsworth and provides exceptional service:

http://www.isellpens.com/Conway_Stewart_s/1831.htm

No connection with isellpens, and all the other denials, etc. I'm just a satisfied customer.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I have purchased from goldspots in the past (luckily one order) and I would never purchase from them again.

Edited by MisterBoll

I was very pleased with my purchase from Goldspot about a year ago. They had an excellent price on a Pelikan Mt Everest special edition (still do) and it shipped very quickly and was well packaged. I would have no problem ordering from them again.

Often a few dealers will have discontinued pens in stock so that wouldn't worry - these are ususually pens that have been sitting on the shelf unsold for awhile. Seeing a discontinued pen I'd just bought being "back ordered" would worry me.

I checked out Goldspot pens, and their prices seem a bit high to me. Better deals can be had. Check out ISELLPENS.com (no affiliation, never bought anything from them). They have two different colors of the Wordsworth in stock for $315.00, on sale (Classic claret or Bracket brown). Good price I think.

I checked out Goldspot pens, and their prices seem a bit high to me. Better deals can be had. Check out ISELLPENS.com (no affiliation, never bought anything from them). They have two different colors of the Wordsworth in stock for $315.00, on sale (Classic claret or Bracket brown). Good price I think.

Yes, excellent price from an excellent seller, but only one nib available in each format last time I checked. (Broad and Italic Broad)

No affiliation & there are other great sellers - but I find Bryant at Chatterley Luxuries (Pentime.net) can match nibs to colors that few other folks have and do it at prices that sneak into my budget. That man has slapped more IBs into my hand than any other seller, darn him :gaah:

No affiliation & there are other great sellers - but I find Bryant at Chatterley Luxuries (Pentime.net) can match nibs to colors that few other folks have and do it at prices that sneak into my budget. That man has slapped more IBs into my hand than any other seller, darn him :gaah:

Yes, he's my seller of choice too. And he will switch out different nibs for you. Enabler...

Well, you could always buy from them and ask Mary if she would switch nibs to a better choice for you. She switched out a nib for me (though I think my wife got it through her), from a Broad to a Medium on my CS 100 Coral Green.

Patience is of course a virtue but not one best tried by retailers of luxury goods, especially in a competitive market...

So, a little update on the joys of dealing with Goldspot Pens. Apart from one email on the third of this month, informing me that the Wordsworth was on backorder and that 'Typically backorders are fulfilled within 3-10 business days', I have received no other communication from them. I have replied this evening thus;

Dear sirs,

So, 'Typically backorders are fulfilled within 3-10 business days' has become 18 and I am still without the Conway Stewart pen I ordered and paid for from yourselves. Would it be possible to clarify when this pen might materialise through my mailbox?

Regards...

cleardot.gif

Perhaps Mary Burke could give me her angle on how the retailers of CS pens should behave? Also, perhaps clear up the mystery of whether the Wordsworth is still available at all and how come, if not, we have an on-line retailer of CS pens selling pens that simply don't exsist? Its not as if they're listing one pen, they have no fewer than twenty-eight Wordsworths, if one includes different colours and nibs. Not getting on your case Mary but these people are a joke and they have my money, which is not a joke.

When Bryant has a batch if out of production pens, he labels it "close out" and takes pics of the actual pens + putting in any nib he has in stock. No affiliation other than getting a lot of IB & 2B nibs through him.

I've never dealt with Goldspot, but I notice they also list a bunch if Krones so long out of production that FPH's last sale in them was a year or so ago, as well as charging full retail. That is probably one of the reasons I haven't dealt with them.

I went to the Goldspot web site, then clicked on Conway Stewart. When the CS page comes up, there is a color photo of the new 58, and under that it says that their Conway Stewart pens are shipped to them directly from the factory, and when an order is placed it typically takes 2-3 weeks for the order to come in. And this, I assume is for the regular line of Conway Stewart pens, not models that are discontinued.

So it seems that Goldspot does not actually "carry" any CS pens in stock, all orders are placed to the factory as they come in. I could see where this could take a very long time to fulfill an order. I don't know if this is typical for all CS retailers, but I suspect not. Better to read the fine print when placing an order with a company with whom you are not familiar.

Just my $.02

I see where this is written now but on the Wordsworth listing it says and I quote 'Usually Ships in 1-2 weeks'. So they're contradicting themselves and I hadn't seen the main page, I followed a link direct to the Wordworths, read their page http://www.goldspot.com/custService.html and placed the order. Oh well, I shall wait a while but I think their communications are pretty dire.

Hi,

The Wordsworth model has been retired. It is no longer featured on our website or e-brochure (link below).

I am sorry that they are listing items that have been retired/sold out and I will take a look at their website and advise their webmaster accordingly.

http://issuu.com/conwaystewart/docs/conwaystewartbrochure

Many people have been very happy with the Belliver model. It is similar in size and below are the comparisons for dimenions:

WORDSWORTH
Closed: 130 mm - Posted 164 mm
Barrel incl nib 126 mm - Cap 58.5 mm
Barrel Diam 13 mm - Cap Diam 15.9 mm - Weight 33 gms

http://www.mvburke.com/images/dimensions/wordsworth.jpg

BELLIVER
Closed: 132.5 mm - Posted 165 mm
Barrel incl nib 126.5 mm - Cap 58 mm
Barrel Diam 13.2 mm - Cap Diam 15 mm - Weight 30 gms

http://www.mvburke.com/images/dimensions/belliver.jpg

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

Hi,

The Wordsworth model has been retired. It is no longer featured on our website or e-brochure (link below).

I am sorry that they are listing items that have been retired/sold out and I will take a look at their website and advise their webmaster accordingly.

http://issuu.com/conwaystewart/docs/conwaystewartbrochure

Many people have been very happy with the Belliver model. It is similar in size and below are the comparisons for dimenions:

WORDSWORTH

Closed: 130 mm - Posted 164 mm

Barrel incl nib 126 mm - Cap 58.5 mm

Barrel Diam 13 mm - Cap Diam 15.9 mm - Weight 33 gms

http://www.mvburke.com/images/dimensions/wordsworth.jpg

BELLIVER

Closed: 132.5 mm - Posted 165 mm

Barrel incl nib 126.5 mm - Cap 58 mm

Barrel Diam 13.2 mm - Cap Diam 15 mm - Weight 30 gms

http://www.mvburke.com/images/dimensions/belliver.jpg

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

Love my Belliver model(s). My best and most dependable pens, among many. I was just using my Belliver Poinsettia this morning and thinking that it is such a great writer, so perfectly balanced and never a bit of trouble. Anxiously awaiting my Borealis cap...

I liked the Wordsworth but went one bigger to the Winston and love it. I got this from Bryant (as mentioned above, no affiliation) who was excellent.

I note the OP is in the UK so needs to factor in the costs of importing to the UK.

OP i hope we have a happy ending...good luck.

Thank you Mary and everyone. This sorry tale is compounded by Goldspot not even having had the courtesy to reply to my email. I am going to try for a refund but I'm not holding my breath. Very sad not to be able to have my brackets brown Wordsworth, I saved up for it, just got the money together and now, pen discontinued and retailer not responding. I'm not a happy bunny this evening. :-(