Jinhao 950 Porcelain (“Horse”, “Dragon”)

Alex2014

:lticaptd:

Most of us have the same problem! I only came to FPN because I wanted some spares for my Parker 61 because I was getting fed up with having the expense of a new Parker Vector every 6 months as the cap click wore out. It would have been much cheaper in the long run if I'd put up with the expense.

Regards,

Richard

:rolleyes: It sounds like something already known to me.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex2014

• Kansas Pen

• MrDickens

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clearly an affliction many (most!) on this forum suffer from then :lol:

"Intelligent people have messier handwriting because their brain works faster than their hand."

Clearly an affliction many (most!) on this forum suffer from then :lol:

The same happened to me. My interest in fountain pens started up again four years ago when my wife's cousin died age 87 and we found a collection of fountain pens dating back to the 1940s which I restored.

I needed some decent stationery, not finding any locally I browsed the web and stumbled on this site. I could only enquire by becoming a member. I received helpful responses, I was very surprised to find pen and ink still being enthusiastically used and caught the bug!

I bought my first fountain pen in1949 when I was 11. Now I have 11 pens made by Jinhao, Hero, Rotring, Pilot, Sheaffer, a Walker Davison made in the first decade of the last century, along with Aiken Lambert and a Waterman from the same era.

Just bought a Pilot Elite a couple of weeks ago, and now I have a Piper Empire dark Forest Brown from the Franklin Christof stable on the way!

My Dilemma is which pen should I use writing my next letter!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

The same happened to me. My interest in fountain pens started up again four years ago when my wife's cousin died age 87 and we found a collection of fountain pens dating back to the 1940s which I restored.

I needed some decent stationery, not finding any locally I browsed the web and stumbled on this site. I could only enquire by becoming a member. I received helpful responses, I was very surprised to find pen and ink still being enthusiastically used and caught the bug!

I bought my first fountain pen in1949 when I was 11. Now I have 11 pens made by Jinhao, Hero, Rotring, Pilot, Sheaffer, a Walker Davison made in the first decade of the last century, along with Aiken Lambert and a Waterman from the same era.

Just bought a Pilot Elite a couple of weeks ago, and now I have a Piper Empire dark Forest Brown from the Franklin Christof stable on the way!

I confess to having been investigating vintage fountain pens since I splurged on the Chinese ones (first delivery due today!). I can see this interest growing because as much as I rely on modern tech, even for the creative writing/poetry I do, the thought of penning my next piece with a real pen & ink is genuinely exciting. I really need to start journalling as well, not relying on Twitter & FB!

BTW, love your sig & avatar, Pickwick :)

"Intelligent people have messier handwriting because their brain works faster than their hand."

Thank you, yours is ingenious there appears a face in your design.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I bought the dragon version of this pen before Christmas. It is an all right pen, but is not one I grab on a regular basis. It just failed to excite.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Thank you, yours is ingenious there appears a face in your design.

It's something I found on-line: a stained glass rendition of the Green Man of lore - sort of ties in with my screen name here (and pretty much everywhere I have a presence on-line actually when I want to 'hide' my real name!).

Edited by thewiccaman

Well, I have to say I'm disappointed with Amazon: my package including this pen is 'out for delivery' today; I've been waiting in all day - it's now 6.46pm - and no sign :angry:

As these pens, the porcelain one above and this one (ostentatious I know):

post-112049-0-13293800-1395922958.jpg

are the first I've bought since I discovered FPN, I was really excited to be able to try them out today. Oh well, tomorrow ...

Edited by thewiccaman

Thanks again Alex for the information on the Jinhao 950. My bid on eBay just ended @ $9.27 shipped. Now I won't be worrying if I bought a decent pen for the next week or two it takes for the pen to come to Kansas.

**Update** - the Bamboo 950 was received in Kansas today. 10 days from Ship to Prairie - not too bad of a wait at all. It is all you others describe and more. I am really impressed with the porcelain exterior. I am sure it has a metal interior, but all but assured it is real porcelain outside and that makes the pen feel and look expensive. Nice job on a $10 pen. Incredible value. A beautiful Pen!

Normally I have a "rush to fill with ink" moment when I get a new pen. But I managed to wait and do the the flush preparation.

I did a water flush with a tiny bit of dish detergent. Then total rinse, blew out the section from the "ink" end to dry it and made sure it got the water out by drying the nib end in a paper towel. I'm going to do this with all my new pens from now on.

I used a fill of Hero #233 Blue ink that I have been testing. It flowed very well. Barely touched the surface of the paper, no drag or scratchy feel at all!

It is a nice ink, deeply and brightly blue. Reminds me of the PR American Blue and my old Parker Penman Blue Sapphire I don't use anymore. The difference to the latter is that the Hero Blue does not seem to have the "reddish" secondary sheen that the Sapphire did. That ink is now pretty dried and thick in the old bottle that I saved. Scared to use in in any pen. Too late to dilute I think. But I like the bottle and it makes me think of how lucky we were when Penman was available. Oh Nostalgia - where have you gone?

In any case the medium nib makes the Hero Blue to stand out on a white paper notebook. I had been using the ink in a smaller Chinese nib (#50 Hero Panda Engraved body). The medium nib of the Bamboo Jinhao makes the blue really sharp and it stands out nicely. This on a plain white Mead/Cambridge legal pad.

Most importantly - the nib is just really smooth. I have some much more expensive pens that are certainly smooth. But this Jinhao is a real pleasure. They do a great job with nibs there in Shanghai. The deep blue Hero ink seems to compliment the bamboo script.

I'm a happy camper. Hope you all have as much luck with your Jinhaos.

:)

I got the one with the sailboat for my husband, and he loves it. I've been very happy with every Jinhao I've aquired.

Yet another Sarah.

I got the one with the sailboat for my husband, and he loves it. I've been very happy with every Jinhao I've aquired.

Good on ya !!! We should all wish for such a thing !!

My wife rolls her eyes :angry:

:notworthy1:

• 5 months later...

Today, I've used my porcelain chinese pen which is not a Jinhao ..... The clip is different, no name on the converter and nib, ....

fpn_1409859775__xe016429.jpg

Edited by Thier.

I got the dragon one (meh, you can't go wrong for < $10)

It's not a practical writer for me, due to the weight and girth, but it's got a nice smooth nib and good flow.

My only complaint is that the pen dries out easily when left (capped of course) alone for even a day.

It's still a fun pen just to have on your desk at work.

-k

I really like the looks of these pens. I like a heavy pen and my experience with Jinhao pens has been terrific. OH so tempting!!

• 1 year later...

I had the misfortune of ordering a pen similar to the one Thier. presents and my opinion is: it's the worst pen I've ordered so far - the metal parts feel light and flimsy as if silvery plastic (that grip feels so cheap!), porcelain does not sound like porcelain when tapped - more like plastic. Nib is skipping and the pen feels so terribly light! Converter is one of those push-types. I ordered the one named "Lotus" from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Pcs-Jinhao-Genium-Ceramic-Blue-and-White-porcelain-Chinese-Painting-Medium-Nib-Fountain-Pen/32329915024.html

The barrel has scratches on it and the nib is nothing to write home about either - the pen has serious flow issues, must take it apart and take a closer look, a thorough wash did not help this time. Maybe I can salvage the nib - but otherwise my first reaction was to put it in the garbage bin.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/fotopang/_jinhao%20950_zpswuocx4ng.jpg

The only thing I like about the pen are the two cute frogs.

This is now a $3 pen, delivered, on eBay. I got a design with bold but sparce flowers termed 'redflower'. I really quite love it, even if it is a bit heavy.

post-128972-0-09969800-1460237694.jpg

Edited by kmeredith923

• 1 year later...