The Aurora Kona - Written Review

Ego Id Veto

My first review. Hope it's okay! I've never seen a review of this pen, so I thought I might as well be the first to do it.

Written with Aurora Black ink on Rhodia 80g Dot Pad

fpn_1391395406__kona1.jpg

fpn_1391395442__kona2.jpg

fpn_1391395466__kona3.jpg

fpn_1391395489__kona4.jpg

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ego Id Veto

• Edwaroth

• Waltz For Zizi

• Massimo57

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE:

I just inked the Kona with Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, which is a much wetter ink, and the dryness problems went away.

I suggest that high flow inks be used in this pen.

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

Why shouldn't the section be made of plastic? The Montblanc 149, a more expensive pen, is plastic from end to end. Reverting to Aurora, my 1990s Aurora 88 is also plastic from end to end. My Aurora Hastil, not the cheapest thing Aurora makes, has a metal barrel and cap but a composition section. My Cross Townsends have lacquered metal barrels and plastic-covered sections for what is to me a more comfortable grip.

Quite a few of us at FPN actually prefer not to have metal sections. Strongly dislike metal sections. I can go either way, but it isn't as if a pen manufacturer is swindling me by offering a plastic section. I think of it as accommodating me.

Why shouldn't the section be made of plastic? The Montblanc 149, a more expensive pen, is plastic from end to end. Reverting to Aurora, my 1990s Aurora 88 is also plastic from end to end. My Aurora Hastil, not the cheapest thing Aurora makes, has a metal barrel and cap but a composition section. My Cross Townsends have lacquered metal barrels and plastic-covered sections for what is to me a more comfortable grip.

Quite a few of us at FPN actually prefer not to have metal sections. Strongly dislike metal sections. I can go either way, but it isn't as if a pen manufacturer is swindling me by offering a plastic section. I think of it as accommodating me.

I wasn't thinking of a metal section, I was thinking of a lacquer section like my Waterman Expert has. It feels cooler to the touch and is a bit more classy.

My review probably comes off a bit harsher than it actually is. I truly do like this pen, it's just there are a couple of things (mainly the dry nib) that could use a bit of improvement in my opinion.

I am very particular with my pens. None of them would get a 10/10 for everything. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy using them.

Edited by Ego Id Veto

My Vintages:

Of course, forgot about that.

Here are some photos of the pen itself:

fpn_1391480484__20140115_151434.jpg

fpn_1391480505__20140115_151503.jpg

fpn_1391480526__20140115_151813.jpg

fpn_1391480543__20140115_152011.jpg

fpn_1391480572__20140203_121350.jpg

fpn_1391480604__20140203_121410.jpg

fpn_1391480628__20140203_121548.jpg

fpn_1391480656__20140203_132530.jpg

fpn_1391480682__20140203_132549.jpg

fpn_1391480705__20140203_132602.jpg

My Vintages:

• 10 months later...

Lovely review, thank you. I'm a bit surprised by the box, though. This is the photo of my original box, quite a different item, I would say. Yours looks better, though. ;-)

cheers!

post-118070-0-12150200-1418925213_thumb.jpg

UPDATE:

This pen has since had numerous flow problems and has been sent back and forth between the seller and myself, with a number of nib replacements taking place. None of these replacement nibs was of a high quality, and they all exhibited the same flaw.

I have sent it back one final time, having let Aurora know of my dissatisfaction. If it does not come back fully functional, I will be requesting a full refund and retracting this review.

Edited by Ego Id Veto

My Vintages:

• 7 years later...
On 12/24/2014 at 12:45 AM, Ego Id Veto said:

UPDATE:

This pen has since had numerous flow problems and has been sent back and forth between the seller and myself, with a number of nib replacements taking place. None of these replacement nibs was of a high quality, and they all exhibited the same flaw.

I have sent it back one final time, having let Aurora know of my dissatisfaction. If it does not come back fully functional, I will be requesting a full refund and retracting this review.

So how was it? Did the pen come back writing good?

I am asking cause I am thinking of buying one.