What Pens Do You Use Besides Fountain Pens?

Tanzanite

I am quite impressed with the Uni ball Vision Elite rollerball I bought a couple of weeks ago, I prefer the slightly wider 0.8 tip and they do a good colour range, nice to see a blue-black which I bought.

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tanzanite

• RMN

• Koyote

• TLab3000

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only use fountain pens, in the lab, out in the farms I do research in, and at home. Before that I used Uni Ball Jetstream for awhile, a really nice pen I must say, and before that I carried the whole slew of Bic sticks: blue, black, green, and red in my shirt pocket in high school! Whenever undergrads have to sign their time sheets, we always have to search my desk for a ballpoint, mostly I end up taking one from my wife's desk to have them use!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Ticonderoga Pencil. HAHA

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I've used FPs almost exclusively for two years now (still wet behind the ears, I know!). But I just recently purchased a pack of Pilot G-2s for when an FP isn't practical/functional or the paper I have to write on is crappy. And I really like them. Almost too much, I'm afraid :blush:

I also keep a few Zebra F-301s within reach for when only a ballpoint will suffice, and a handful of cheap ballpoints I've collected over the years to give out when people want to borrow a pen. Because they aren't touching my FPs, and if I give them a G-2 or Zebra it might not come back ;)

"...and as I passed by the fire I did not know whether it was hell or the furious love of God." - G.K. Chesterton

A Montblanc Legrand ballpoint, a Cross Contour ballpoint, some cheapo (read...free!) promotional ballpoints from biotech companies. Also like to use my mechanical pencil collection occasionally.

Once in a great while at a restaurant (and I don't know why) I'll use the provided ballpoint to sign the receipt. Otherwise, fountain pens only.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I use Blackwing Palomino 602's for anything that requires easy erasing.

I used to be much more into rollerballs pre-fountain pens: Uniball Vision BLX, Uniball Jetstream Needles.

Before collecting fountain pens, I collected Retro51 rollerballs. Loved using Schmidt RB ink refills.

Other worthy rollerballs/gels: Uniball Signo.

I almost always use a fountain pen. But, I recently purchased a Pilot Dr. Grip ballpoint pen for use on papers that are unsuitable for fountain pens. It's much better than the Cross pen I referenced earlier. The Dr. Grip is not a pretty looking pen but it is probably the smoothest ballpoint I've ever come across. I dare say it's quite pleasant to write with… nah not really. But it's not awful either.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

Retractable: Pilot G-2, .7 and .5mm. I've been jonesing to try their .38 ef. From jetpen's ad:

water-resistant, smear-proof, acid-free, and archival safe.

Pencils at home.

Mechanical:

Pentel Classic Deluxe, .7mm. This was my goto mp back in the day: http://www.pentel.com/store/classic-deluxe-85

Rotring 600, silver .7mm. I think I got this overseas at a stationary store.

Papermate Sharpwriter. "spring loaded to prevent lead breakage". These were in the supply system (like the ubiquitous black pen, black ink skilcraft retractable ballpoint pen), and they work very well.

Old school pencils you have to sharpen:

Yes, I got caught up in the Palomino Blackwing 602 - even got the classic with pink eraser.

A few Staedlers, and a few Uni-Mitsubishi wood pencils.

I love black fusion inks, so I use the Uni-Ball Vision Elite BLX 0.5 mm rollerball pens for cards and paper that won't tolerate fountain pen inks.

Pilot G2, 0.5mm blue is my go-to disposable. I also carry around a metal Parker Jotter that I picked up about 15 years ago, just in case. (I think it still has the original refill in use!)

I just picked up a Pilot Metropolitan rollerball. It uses the G2 refills in any size. It arrived with a 0.7mm black refill, but I was able to swap it out with a 0.5mm blue refill. The bonus is that it looks just as great as the FP and I have a set to carry around.

A MB Meisterstuck Classique platinum ballpoint, for the sessions with clients in the office when documents need to be signed.

(And make sure I'm the last one signing, I'm sure I get it back).

Rest of the time strictly FP only.

Edited by Dutchess

Can't tolerate ballpoints or roller balls, the only pen I use other than fountain pens are the PILOT RAZOR POINTS ( and similar) they feel and write a lot like a mountain pen

I started using this type 20 years ago or so when PILOT introduced the bamboo fiber tipped pen -- great writer == wore out rather quickly but I liked them

Retractable: Pilot G-2, .7 and .5mm. I've been jonesing to try their .38 ef...

Found a stationary store on the way home (since I got a bus pass, I can hop off and back on anywhere). They didn't have the .38 EF G-2 in black (only blue), but they ordered it from the main store and got it in the next day and set aside two for me. Felt like I got mine from their super secret stash. They got a few boxes but didn't put them out - special order only I guess. Very nice EF line. You can recognize a brand new G-2 easily - the substance next to the ink in the refill is an opaque white - while an older G-2, it will turn to a rust color.

Best thing is they are having a sale on all G-2s - $0.99 / .6 gbp. So with tax, 3 G-2s for $3.11.

I have the G2 in their Dark Red (burgundy) which I like.

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

Pencils . . . Koh-I-Noor (2B and 4B) and Ticonderoga (#2).

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

Pilot G-2's - they come in a range of colours (turquoise, sky-blue, violet) and are very useful for marking and are good writers for paper that doesn't like FP ink.

I used to use Parker Jotters, but found the plastic barrels cracked or the refills leaked in the barrel, gumming up the works. Is this a common experience?

I have never seen any cracked barrels but one or two leaking refills over many years, in my other Parkers.

I just found one of my Jotters with a leaking refill :(

I will use it with a Herlitz gel refill if I manage to clean it.