What Pens Do You Use Besides Fountain Pens?

Tanzanite

I hope this question is OK to post on a fountain pen forum and will not be to provocative. Do you use any other sort of pen and for what purpose?

I always carry a couple of Parker ballpoint pens with the new Quink Flow cartridges in black and blue, in my bag, if I need a pen for quick notes on days when I don´t carry any fountain pens, for paper unsuitable for fountain pens, for signing papers and to let other people use. These cartridges are to me the second best to write with after fountain pens.

For my planner a use Pilot Frixion Ball as I want to be able to write and erase, write and erase. I have one in steel. And also the more colourful ones for the erasability.

For drawing I use coloured pencils from several brands like Caran d´Ache, Faber Castell, Derwent, Lyra etc.

I use mechanical pencils for light sketching when painting with water colours.

Fiber pens are good for colourful mindmapping. It´s easier to carry 20 fiber pens than 20 fountain pens with inks in 20 different colours.

But about 95% of the time, or more, I use fountain pens.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tanzanite

• RMN

• 85AKbN

• Abner C. Kemp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes I use a mechanical pencil (Pental P205) when it's impractical to use a fountain pen (quick notes on the go, math formulas, you get the idea). Very rarely I use a ballpoint (I have various disposable bic ones) if I have to write on cardboard or other rough surfaces.

Edited by discopig

I usually use my Parker IM Rollerball that I got with my Premier to lend or use for writing over correction fluid. I foolishly ruined a Sonnet's nib with that once, before I learned how to fix things like that.

Hi,

A brushed stainless steel Parker Jotter with a Fisher Space Pen refill tags along as my 'writer of last resort' and a loaner when I'm on duty.

A simple rotring 300 2mm clutch pencil is often close to hand. It unexpectedly became my pencil of choice - I rather enjoy shaping the point, and the ease of switching amongst various coloured leads.

A Brause Ornament 0.7 dip pen is called upon when I need to do a short bit of writing, especially with non-FP inks. Other dip pens are used when I want a line width greater than 1mm, a very wet writer, or an amount of flex greater than I'd use with an FP.

A Copic Multiliner 0.03 with pigment ink does the necessary for absurdly narrow hair's-breadth lines.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Fiber pens are good for colourful mindmapping.

Interesting that people use mindmapping. I never adopted it though i have tried couple of times.

Yes we use other pens too but that's almost a shameful secret. I have been testing a gel pen and like the performance. But fountain pen is number 1 to me, for the vintage look, the treasure aspect, and the joy of playing with different inks and filling mechanisms though i'm not a real ink fanatic. Yet.

My ballpoints are mostly only spare items, located in tactical places where i could suddenly need something to write with, or get to borrow a pen to somebody else. Filled fountain pens are never left around without regular use because the start to dry in the long run.

Last week i bought 2 dip pen nibs, to cheaply try italic writing. Too bad i don't have calligraphy ink. Seems it may be necessary for that, or if i could somehow make fp ink thicker it could work. Suggestions?

There are other ways than the easiest one too.

I saw this at a neighborhood yard sale. I bought an entire coffee mug-full of junk ballpoint pens to get this.

Then, I hurried home and hid in the basement, like the time, fifty years earlier, when I hit a baseball through

Mrs. Klein's window.

fpn_1346684723__duofold_pencil.jpg

I don't keep ballpoint pens other than this one, and I hardly use this one.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

At home only fountain pens, at uni (which is all day, everyday) I use a Parker Jotter. I absolutely love that pen :)

The Parkers I carry daily are also Jotters. Very handy little pens.

Interesting that people use mindmapping. I never adopted it though i have tried couple of times.

I started using mindmapping at University as a study help, then I forgot about it for a while but realised that it is a great tool for structuring comlicated tasks att work or when starting on a new project.

A gel pen or two for those times when somebody wants to borrow a pen. And a glass pen for ink testing.

I have a lot of pens in my bag. I love colors and tend to use and change as much as i can in casual writing and scribbles.

Pilot 78G and Sheaffer NNS are daily carry fountain pens

2 ball points (blue and purple): Need to fill in customs declaration form in quadruplicate!! :wacko:

Blue ball point is also for lending

Faber Castell mechanical pencil

A 12-set Steadtler felt-tip fineliners

I work at a busy government hospital , and as there is risk of notes being erased by wetting by patients, so I use Ballpoint pen , usually parker as most of my Fps have matching Bps , and also a Bp is safer to give if someone borrows temporarily pen from me ,

I use Faber Castell regular grip pencils [not mechanical], fiber tips pens for things such as permanent writing [on surfaces which fountain pens do not work on] and colourful mindmaps, sometimes gel/rollerball pens if my fountain pen runs out of ink on that day.

I use a Lamy Swift rollerball a fair bit if I'm making notes for one of my jobs. It's a great pen, very comfortable to hold and use with a retractable clip. Excellent design. On my other job I use a Pilot V7 as they're always around and good to write with. It's a needlepoint pen.

I'm fond of mechanical pencils too. Often a Pentel P207 at work or if I'm at home I have a small collection of nice ones.

Regards,

Paul

Until I recently took up fountain pens, I only used gel pens. Now it has been exclusively fountain pens.

My brother is a doctor and on his last visit here, I asked him what he wrote with at home. He replied that he wrote with the cheap pens that the sales reps gave out (hope no one here is a sales rep!). And I thought, no brother of mine will write with a pen like that! (He likes to collect journals and write, too, like me). So I decided to give him a Parker Urban Rollerball after reading one of Richard Binder's articles and being very impressed. I ordered it and of course I had to test it out. I really like the pen! I think I might get one for myself to add a little variety to my collection.

Averett

"If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast."--Psalm 139

I use mechanical pencils for doing my sudoku and for making little drawings to explain things to clients.

And I have a ballpoint for those papers that will not accept FP-inks, and for client use.

Lately I combine these two in a Cross 3 in 1 pen with 2 BP and a MP-refill. as refills for BP I try getting gel-refills.

I have several MPs

I used a Pentel Ergonomix gelpen before for client use but it became too bulky for my pocketprotector

I very much dislike rollerball pens. I d own a few that were in sets, or were presents but they stay unused.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have a MB Starwalker rollerball that I use when FPs don't do well. I also received a Bolt roller/ballpoint pen for Xmas that I loaded with a Fisher refill for times when I need to write at strange angles and/or need absolute waterproofness. I also have a Parker T-Ball Jotter tha way my father's into which I put a gel refill and use for sentimental reasons

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Sheaffer Targa BP pen with a hacked Parker refill (writes waaay better than Sheaffer's refills). The pen was given to me, along with the matching FP, as a college graduation gift almost thirty years ago.

Since I am a college student, I think these are fairly accessible as well as affordable. I would not splurge for these type of items, only fountain pens and bottle ink :D ! Anyway, here's what I use and for their respective reasons:

I use a Pentel EnerGel RT w/ 0.5mm ink refills for note taking if I run out of ink on my fountain pen (Pilot CH 912). And also to sign school forms or stuff like so that I do not ruin the paper.

For a pencil, I use the Uniball Kurotoga 0.5mm for math, drawings, and sketching.

And then for stuff like highlighting, tagging, and such, I just use Sharpie's and any highlighter I have on hand. Just that I love highlighting in pink.

Edited by YoungPenmanship

"The more one pleases everybody, the less one pleases profoundly" ~ Stendhal

Current Pens: Kaweco Sport, Pilot Custom Heritage 912 WA nib, Pilot Custom 74 M nib, Namiki Falcon Resin SF

A gel pen or two for those times when somebody wants to borrow a pen. And a glass pen for ink testing.

Both of the above. Plus all manner of drawing tools for art work, but I primarily use fountain pens, even for crossword puzzles.