Completely Devestated

r-james

Gents I just recieved a Noodlers Ahab through the post and my colleague helpfully knocked it off my desk onto a hard floor; bending the nib and rendering it unable to write. I have had this pen about 4 hours and now it does not work at all.

Is ther a cheap source for a replacement nib within the UK or any way of un-bending this particular one. The pen was lovely until I stupidly left it on the desk for a moment

I have literally 0 money for this but I can maybe afford a small ammount to get it sorted but not much

Sorry for the rant but I am completely stuck as to what to do now

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sinistral1

• CS388

• Ego Id Veto

• r-james

Could your helpful colleague help out with a portion of the repair costs? If I were to destroy a coworker's property I would feel some sense of responsibility to compensate for the loss. My feelings might be mitigated somewhat if the broken item were left in a particularly precarious position, seemingly begging to be damaged, or if it were an extravagantly expensive item out of proportion with other personal working tools in the environment. But this second, at least, is clearly not the case for an relatively inexpensive Ahab.

Sorry for your loss. Wish I could help direct you to inexpensive repair options in UK.

Rob

Any modern #6 nib should fit the Ahab. Depending on manufacturer, there may be issues with nib thickness and fit between the section and feed. And, it isn't likely that your replacement nib will have any flex like the Ahab did.

Good luck. It is quite frustrating.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

Simples :)

http://www.purepens.co.uk/acatalog/Noodlers-Spare-Nibs-and-Tips-.html

Brilliant company to deal with. Highly recommended. Best of luck.

Oh goodness, when did that happen?! That's excellent. Big thumbs up to Pure Pens (not for the first time).

And though not a gent, commiserations r-james. That pretty much sucks. I hope you get it sorted - it's certainly worth a try to bend it back, I would have thought. I defer to more experienced folk than I to advise on the best way to go about that (I've done it precisely once, and I'm almost sure committed all the Don'ts in the process but got away with it) Good luck!

Cheers, Al

You might also try contacting Noodler's/Luxury Brands. I accidentally got the blind cap stuck inside the cap of my first Konrad, and did quite a number on that pen's nib. I'd only had the pen a few weeks at that point. I wrote to them asking where to get a replacement and Dick Egolf of Luxury Brands sent me a new nib and feed. And this was over a holiday weekend....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I guess you could take some long nose pliers if you're feeling adventurous and straighten it :)

If that doesn't work, get a new nib then. No harm since it's probably spoilt and getting a nib meister might cost more than a new one.

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

Would definitely recommend having a go at bending the nib back into shape. Since you can't use it as is, and a replacement is somewhat readily available, you have nothing to loose in trying.

If you were after a flex nib, then you may need to contact Noodler's or Luxury Brands. But if you don't mind a stiff nib I'd definitely recommend a Goulet nib. Those things fit the Ahab well and are smoother than writing with butter over a glass-coated baby's bottom.

(sorry, just trying to portray how damn smooth they are :P )

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

That was bad luck, sorry to hear it.

If you're going for a replacement nib, you've got nothing to lose by having a go at straightening it yourself.

But before you reach for the pliers (or any tools), have a go with your fingernails/thumbnails. Messy, but often effective.

Most nibs don't offer that much resistance - look how easily it bent!

And go gently.

Good luck!

I'm in with the "try to bend it back into shape yourself" crowd. It's worth a try, and at this point, you have nothing to lose. Also, for what it's worth, there's several threads here regarding using both power (Dremel) tools and/or hand tools to file and modify these Noodlers flex nibs to get them to flex easier. I don't know where your nib is damaged, but the modification might be an option for you to consider. The threads have "EMF" in the title, which stands for "Ease My Flex".

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.