Suggestions On A Purple Ink Please!

MikeyW

Hi all,

Just looking for a few ideas on a new purple ink so I thought I'd ask the pros!

I've been using the Visconti Purple lately however I am finding that, in my eyes at least, it's fading out rather quickly after drying to an almost blue-tinged violet. Any suggestions on something that might hold the colour a little better? I'm looking for something more along the lines of what I would call a rich, royal purple (interestingly enough - pretty much exactly the colour of the Visconti purple as it comes out of the nib!).

I do the vast majority of my writing on Rhodia or Clairfontaine paper.

Thanks in advance for the help all - hope everyone is having a great start to the new year!

Cheers,

Mike :D

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" - Sir Winston Churchill.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• carlos.q

• Runnin_Ute

• MikeyW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

La Reine Mauve...I just happen to be using it today in a Pilot Falcon, with SEF nib. Really great flow and very nice in an EF nib.

I had Pelikan Violet in my pen for quite some time.

It started out being a quick thing to try out an inexpensive FP.

I didn't think I would use it very much because, well, its purple.

Turns out, for some reason, I just couldn't stop using it.

It was a great shade for me.

Joe

How bright a purple are you looking for? Do you want it right in the middle of the spectrum, or leaning either toward blue or red?

For bright purples there's Noodler's North African Violet and Private Reserve Purple Mojo. They're similar in color -- PRPM is softer, but dries a little faster.

For dark purples, R&K Scabiosa is nice (it's an iron gall, so it's pretty well behaved on poor quality paper); it's more of a purple-black, as is PR Ebony Purple. Diamine Damson is not a bad color, but the ink is fairly dry.

I think of Yama-budo as being more of a red-violet than a true purple. Other ones to look at in the red-purple/burgundy-purple range would be Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses and Purple Heart; and also Diamine Merlot (more of a burgundy/brown, though). I liked the color and wetness of De Atramentis Patchouli, but it's a scented ink (and doesn't smell like patchouli at all IMO -- it's sort of unpleasantly musty smelling, and I don't know if they have an unscented equivalent).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I had (have?) a sample of North African Violet. Not a color I expected to like. Akkerman Voorhout Violet is nice as well, but much darker.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hello. Your in the right place for help. FPN has been a lifeline for my passion...I have two favorite purple/violet inks: Private Reserve Tanzanite & Mont Blanc Lavender Purple. The PR Tanzanite has been called by some the "laxative of purple inks"; honestly...It flows so well (get it ?) and is such a deep, rich color. Darker and more saturated than the Mont Blanc. The MB is more violet in hue and has great shading qualities... Just wrote w/ the MB before posting this to get it right. Always keep the MB inked in my Waterman Kultur (German ?) Hemisphere, clear, demo series...Whew...All MB inks are considered by most to be high quality and trouble-free in most pens...Hope this helps. Enjoy ANY ink you choose. Regards, LeRoy P.S. Wrote a very favorable review for Amazon for the PR Tanzanite...

Just use MB Lavendar Purple - which is much deeper than Lavendar, superb ink and none of the reported issues but it does daily service in an old Conway Stewart and is unstoppable. I bought 3 bottles of the stuff when I heard it was being discontinued - to be recommended.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned any of the Herbin inks yet. My personal favourite of theirs is Violette Pensee - beautiful flow and shading but probably not as deep as some others that have been mentioned. I also like Diamine Lavender and Imperial Purple. I've also tried Monteverde Purple but found that to be veering towards a deep pink almost!

Waterman Tender Purple or Diamine Imperial Purple looks fairly bright and similar to Visconti from photos. Diamine Grape (or Deep Dark Purple if you buy from Cult Pens) for a darker purple.

I had Pelikan Violet in my pen for quite some time.

It started out being a quick thing to try out an inexpensive FP.

I didn't think I would use it very much because, well, its purple.

Turns out, for some reason, I just couldn't stop using it.

It was a great shade for me.

Joe

I describe this as cheery. It lifts me up when I use it. I tend to write poetry with it. I think a more subdued color would fit my melancholy personality better, but maybe I need this Pelikan ink ;)

Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime IS death. -- George Orwell

I have a fondness for Noodler's Iraqi Indigo (now Violet Vote) but it is an exclusive of Pendemonium and maybe costly for you to get. I like the color, flow, and that it is bulletproof.

Another is the mix of Waterman Purple and Blue called Blurple. 1:1 You can also play with the mix to slant more to the blue. Often said to be close to Private Reserve Tanzanite.

C d'A Storm just discontinued so shouldn't be more than 25% more than original price. Get some.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

This weekend, I fell in love with Noodler's Mata Hari's Cordial. It's a very light, very pretty purple.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Thanks for the brilliant suggestions all! I went for a search down at the local B&M store and the assistant there showed me quite a number of the inks suggested above. I'm giving the Pelikan Violet a run at the moment and must say that I'm really warming to it!

Thanks again everyone :D

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" - Sir Winston Churchill.