Pilot Preppy Hack Question

Tenkai

Hi guys,

I managed to do the Pilot Varsity transplant into the Platinum Preppy section.

I was wondering, in the future to rinse the pen, do we have to pull the whole nib and feed out to rinse? Or just running the whole nib+section under water/soaking the whole nib+section in water will do?

Any ideas? I do realise that the friction fit won't hold forever.

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tenkai

• Chthulhu

Top Posters In This Topic

Flush water through the feed via the cartridge nipple on the back of the section using an ear syringe or similar squeeze bulb. Just rinsing in a stream of water doesn't get the feed as clean.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Flush water through the feed via the cartridge nipple on the back of the section using an ear syringe or similar squeeze bulb. Just rinsing in a stream of water doesn't get the feed as clean.

Okay noted! Thanks =)

By squeeze bulb, a pasteur pipette should work too right?

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

Oh right. I am having ink flow issues with the cartridge attached. I guess maybe is the ball bearing inside blocking the ink? (Or is it just me being impatient? I know fitting a cart into preppy didn't take that long to start)

Anyone knows where to get the adapter for platinum pens and maybe a international piston converter for cheap?

EDIT: I heard an Aurora/Parker Converter can fit into a Platinum Preppy. Can anyone verify this?

Edited by Tenkai

More likely that something is restricting either the ink or air channel. Start with the pressure flush, using a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid (1 drop to 1 cup of water) and plenty of patience. In theory, anyway, the cartridge nipple should prevent the ball inside the cartridge from causing any problems by holding it away from the opening.

And you can always go the eyedropper route with a Preppy body and a little silicone grease, regardless of what nib and feed you have stuffed into it. :-)

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Okay guys, I got it to work.

Oddly for some reason, carts doesn't work yet, eyedroppers do.

I decided to try it out.

Parker&Aurora cartridges kinda fit Platinum pens (I tried by getting a colleague's used Parker cart, so I guess converters should be the same), so I inked up a Parker cart and plugged it into a Preppy with the Varsity nib.

Surprise surprise, no more ink flow issues! My guess is that the ball regulates the ink flow somewhat and reduces ink to the felt in the feed, probably is necessary in ensuring the Preppy nib and feed not to leak.

What's more, the Parker cart is SO long just like a piston filler pen's piston. Kinda have a large volume like an eyedropper yet without the mess.

Hope it helps everyone who hates eyedroppers =D

EDIT: I noticed a leak in the pen. Turns out the cart cracked! So screw all of this. Sorry for the misinformation.

Edited by Tenkai