Long Island Pen Show - March 15-16, 2014

Cyber6

Playpen, That is a great idea. We can come up with a special name tag or label that FPN members can get when they sign in and if they proudly wear them they will be easy to pick out. We will also set up a meeting table and announce an impromptu FPN meeting there during the show both Saturday and Sunday. We will do it around lunch time so those who wish to can meet up in the food court area.

Edited by Terry Brack

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• Wile E Coyote

• Terry Brack

• Earthdawn

Ill be there as well... Saturday only.

I remember the snow last year. VERY ANNOYING but it did not keep people away.

Also, Fountain Pen Hospital and Anderson Pens will be there !!!

Can't wait

PS there were no dealers that I saw with Japanese pens like Nakaya or Danitrio etc

Looks like Saturday will be a beautiful day. I'll be there and look forward to meeting everyone! As usual, I'll have a pen for Richard Binder to work on

HA... Already in the US of A.... Driving today down to New York... I will be at the show first thing tomorrow morning...YAY!!!!

Looking forward to meeting all of you....

:D

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Fountain Pen Network personality, plistumi, will be displaying her personal version of Ambrose Bierce's "Devils Dictionary", Saturday 10:00 a.m -1:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon. Here is the entry for the word ink, So appropriate here.

post-1449-0-47223400-1394812672_thumb.jpg

Kenro

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/18F7E4A4-177E-40AB-B757-7C115755D20F_zpsylx4w4uk.jpg

Susan Wirth, though she was not at her table when I took this lol

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/6F972A49-47E6-4A2C-8507-4003CA304BAE_zps9gjyfc1s.jpg

The Andersons

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/87C54082-A380-456D-9515-DDF92BBF9892_zpsyvfbj53g.jpg

Brain Anderson

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/A805B3D8-ADE6-4E00-96B7-12B132134263_zpsqmcjqniu.jpg

Great show! The room was twice the size as last year. GREAT lighting! !!!... Water bottles and coffee provided inside. What was really nice was there were some tables in the middle where people could gather and meet up.

Having the time of my life... thanks so much to Terry and all the movers and shakers that got the Long Island Pen Show going this year. :D :D

I am having a blast and everyone is sooooooo nice... :wub:

Going back tomorrow to keep playing with the inks and maybe getting some last minute things here and there.... all in all a very successful first Pen Show for me.

Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen. :lol:

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Cyber 6 were you wearing your FPN badge? They have them at the desk where you pay to get in. I was there for hours yesterday and did not see another person wearing the FPN card holder. We were in the cafeteria at noon and only saw students so I was disappointed. Perhaps there should have been a sign on the admissions table advising FPN people about the informal cafeteria meet. I do thank Terry though for saying he would have some sort of identifying item for us and for following through with it. Props to Terry! :)

Cyber 6 were you wearing your FPN badge? They have them at the desk where you pay to get in. I was there for hours yesterday and did not see another person wearing the FPN card holder. We were in the cafeteria at noon and only saw students so I was disappointed. Perhaps there should have been a sign on the admissions table advising FPN people about the informal cafeteria meet. I do thank Terry though for saying he would have some sort of identifying item for us and for following through with it. Props to Terry! :)

I was at the cafeteria with gentlyom for about 45 minutes at noon and we didn't see anyone but students either. I also didn't know about the FPN badges.

Plistumi's Devil's Dictionary was the highlight of the show for me. While her postings are amazing, they do no justice to seeing the work in person. She had original versions of her "Ink" for sale and I'm disappointed in myself for not getting one.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I wore a bright lime-green coat and name tag with 'Kenshin...'

Arrived slightly before noon Saturday, dashed to the cafeteria, saw no one. Signed in, looked around, didn't 'see' anyone I knew either. I suspect that we all passed one another by. Except for Plistumi, of course!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I had every intention of making it to the cafeteria at noon for the meetup, but was at Tim Girdler's table while he wrestled with a very reluctant Sheaffer Connoisseur nib. Hats off to Tim, he would not let up until he was satisfied (I probably would have settled for less at that point because i was feeling guilty for having monopolized so much of his time). Tim is another one of those Richard Binder disciples (like Jim Baer) who has been gaining some of the nibmeister market share since Binder "retired" from the retail side of that particular business. Based on my recent experiences I can heartily recommend both Tim and Jim.

Now, about the show. I do not want to splash cold water on this topic, but frankly i was a little disappointed this year. I arrived just before 10 am Saturday so that I could quickly got on Richard's and Ron Zorn's lines, then set about browsing the tables. A lot of tables were empty at that hour, even though the show was officially open, and even more disappointing, a considerable time elapsed before those tardy exhibitors were ready to display their goods. Also, while I enjoyed visiting with many of the sellers (and in the process picked up a couple of new pens for my collection), I would have liked to have seen more vendors with extensive inventory of vintage pens. Maybe we are just feeling the effects of the passing of some deep-rooted pen people like Frank Tedesco.

But i do want to end on a positive note: the bigger room was a real treat, as were the coffee and pastries and the tables where one could spread out a little. It was also nice visiting with the Andersons, seeing Rick Krantz at his own table (miss your sales on FPN, Rick), and sorting thru the $50 parts bags at the Fountain Pen Hospitals table. I will definitely be back next year. But perhaps the organizers could enforce one simple rule: require exhibitors to be there on time, that would be the fair thing to do for those of us who've gotten up early, driven a fair distance and paid our admission for the rare privilege of actually getting to see and handle some wonderful pens. :happy:

Was there from 10-2 Saturday with a couple of friends from the Big Apple club, had a ball. Bought a Vac from Mike Bloom, supplies from Brian and Lisa, and watched Richard Binder perform surgery on a nib of mine that was severely worn but needed to stay with its pen, a 1950 French Waterman that recently joined the collection. Talked with a lot of vendor friends, Richard Fernandez, Rick Krantz, Susan Wirth,Mario Campa, Ron and Robyn Zorn. Met and much enjoyed talking French pens with Jonathan Steinberg. Steve and Christine Light showed up with Steve's delightful newest book. The newly rebuilt room was a huge improvement- well-lit, ventilated, enough space for growth. Took us only 25 mins to drive out from Grand Central, 45 to get back, into the Manhattan St Patricks weekend madness. Great show!

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I was able to turn around my schedule at the last minute so I could make it for the pen show and meet up. I met with Wile E Coyote there and no one else from the meet up group. There wasn't much dealers or buyers this year... The last time I attended the show they had 2 show rooms, but this year only had one, yet still some empty space...

I did not know about the FPN badges either. We definitely need something obvious next time. :)

Nevertheless, at least I did not go home empty handed, got a couple of Herbin inks and absolutely love them.

I was trying to make the noon meet-up but didn't get there until around 1pm, and had no idea what people looked like. I'm sorry I missed meeting

you guys. Though I got to see plistumi's drawings in person, which was a treat!

I arrived yesterday at about 11:10 am, and found no reference anywhere to FPN badges; I would gladly have put one on. The cafeteria area (where Sbarro is located) was totally dark, but I didn't go back to search around for the student cafeteria. I tried to sign up to have a couple of pens looked at by Ron Zorn and Tim Girdler, but there were so many names on each list that my turn never came. That was nobody's fault...they are very popular, and rightly so...but it was a bit frustrating, to be honest, because at the Philadelphia show, I had no time to look around at the offerings because I was waiting my turn at Richard Binder's and the Kennedys' workshops.

I am sorry to sound a sour note, but having just been at the LA Show, I agree with the earlier comments on the relative paucity of dealers. I was also a little disappointed by the general lack of variety in the pens on offer. If you were looking for an Eclipse or a Parker, though, you were set. I only saw a handful of Japanese pens (though the Maki-e pens I saw at one table were amazing...too bad they were far, far beyond my budget). On the other hand, people were very friendly, and the availability of coffee and chocolates was a really nice, and appreciated, touch, although they ran out of paper cups quite quickly. The tables with the ink bottles were a fantastic idea, as they offered the chance to sit down and socialize, but I found that the inks tended to get mixed after a while...unavoidable, I suppose.

I left at 2:45, having found a bottle of vintage Parker Quink Permanent Blue and a few supplies, as well as a great vintage Faber-Castell pen thanks to one of the other attendees.

First time at this show and I will say

that I was overall very happy with the

vendors that were there and the venue.

While not a large show, it is larger than

the show in Miami. The refreshments were

a pleasant surprise.

It was nice to see Tim Girdler, Fountain Pen

Hospital and the Andersons.

Picked up some ink, supplies and a Edison Collier

in Blue Steel. The color is soooo much nicer in

person.

Hats off to Terry for a nice show!

YES I WAS!!.. I was with Zoniguana.. and he was wearing his badge too. I'll post a pic later. I went to the cafeteria around 12:30 (the time flew by... I thought Terry will do an announcement) Me and Zoni ran to the cafeteria.... saw only students (no weird pen lovers look alike.. lol).. I actually sat down and had lunch with Zoni there. All in all we spend 30-40 minutes there. No signs of FPN'ers.

I did met Plistumi (my highlight too) and Penultress .. (and Terry of course)... but that was it for me. :(

I still had loads of fun and came out with some goodies that did not break the bank. Plus.. Richard work on one of my favorite pens... which is now writing perfectly (was skipping like crazy)... A newborn fan for Richard Binder here :wub:

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Hoping you will update the Toronto Pen Posse on the show highlights when you meet with us next Cyber6!

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.