Long Island Pen Show - March 15-16, 2014

Cyber6

There will be an informal meeting of pen folk in the cafeteria at lunch (noonish).

Great. Are you going on Saturday or Sunday? Sunday is difficult for me because I am a lector at my church, and I'm usually busy until late in the afternoon.

Edited by daoud62

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• Wile E Coyote

• Terry Brack

• Earthdawn

Sorry, I should have been more clearer.....

The lunch gathering will be Saturday 15MAR2014 noonish in the cafeteria in the Student Center. See Building 31 on the campus map.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Sorry, I should have been more clearer.....

The lunch gathering will be Saturday 15MAR2014 noonish in the cafeteria in the Student Center. See Building 31 on the campus map.

Great! I will be there unless I succeed in staying a few extra days in Tokyo! I will let you know in any case.

Anyone know if Hempstead is the LIRR stop I should go to, if I want to take the train and walk the rest of the way?

Hofstra University

1000 Fulton Avenue, Hempstead, NY 11549; (516) 463-6600

Take the LIRR to Hempstead Station and transfer to the N70, N71, N72 or the Hofstra Shuttle Bus

www.hofstra.edu

Sigh.

I"m so jealous of you all. I've love to be able to get to another show (did DCSS and Ohio Pen Show last year and had a blast at both of them). But I have the dreaded prior commitment, which puts me seriously elsewhere that weekend. And I can't do Baltimore this weekend either. :crybaby:

Have fun, guys.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Anyone know if Hempstead is the LIRR stop I should go to, if I want to take the train and walk the rest of the way?

Hofstra University

1000 Fulton Avenue, Hempstead, NY 11549; (516) 463-6600

Take the LIRR to Hempstead Station and transfer to the N70, N71, N72 or the Hofstra Shuttle Bus

www.hofstra.edu

Don't know if it is walkable but this is what I found. Hope it helps!

Edited by avlisyar

Google can be your friend.

post-7521-0-05599100-1393502370_thumb.png

Edited by Wile E Coyote

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thanks for the help. I was looking at the Hempstead stop on Google maps last night when I posted. I travel alot for work - been burned before when something looked walkable on a map, but was very different when I got there. Still not sure I'm going to the show, but if I do, I'll probably be too lazy to drive there.

Thanks for the help. I was looking at the Hempstead stop on Google maps last night when I posted. I travel alot for work - been burned before when something looked walkable on a map, but was very different when I got there. Still not sure I'm going to the show, but if I do, I'll probably be too lazy to drive there.

I went last year. I took a car service both ways (same driver) and it was $6 each way. I don't recall that it was walkable. It was snowing a little last year too!

I went last year. I took a car service both ways (same driver) and it was $6 each way. I don't recall that it was walkable. It was snowing a little last year too!

Ill be there as well... Saturday only.

I remember the snow last year. VERY ANNOYING but it did not keep people away.

Also, Fountain Pen Hospital and Anderson Pens will be there !!!

Can't wait

PS there were no dealers that I saw with Japanese pens like Nakaya or Danitrio etc

Edited by Earthdawn

You might not want to walk from the train- I don't know how far it is, but the neighborhood around Hofstra isn't the greatest

Hi Guys,

I'll be visiting from Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

I'm in New York City, the week previous to the show and flying back home on Sunday, March 16th.

Saturday is my day out. Looking forward to the show.

Can someone tell me how big it is?

I'll be looking for Japanese Hand-made fountain pens. Does anyone know if they are there ?

Thanks

Abraham

Look for David Ushkow at the show for Hand-made Japanese Pens.

You might not want to walk from the train- I don't know how far it is, but the neighborhood around Hofstra isn't the greatest

Not a pleasant walk. the 70/71/72 NICE buses depart from the Hempstead Bus terminal just across from the LIRR station every 15 minutes for the 6 minute ride to Hofstra. There is also the Free Blue Beatle Hofstra Shuttle bus (just tell the driver you are attending a Hofstra Event at the Student Center) See this link for the weekend schedule http://www.hofstra.edu/visitors/visitors_info_shuttle.html

Also Consider the Mineola LIRR station instead. While is a little further from Hofstra it is only 38 minutes from Penn Station. It is serviced by the Hofstra Blue Beatle and the NICE Buses n40 and n41 which provide a 10 minute ride to the Hempstead bus terminal with a free transfer to the 70/71/72 bus to the Campus. The cab ride from Mineola is about $8 plus tip. The cab stand is just in front of the station. Arrange to meet fellow attendees on your train and share a cab.

Things are really shaping up for the Long Island Pen Show this weekend, 15-16 March 2014. Check out our facebook event page and this link to a video filmed and produced by Hofstra Student, Mariel Carbone, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1o_5WeDej4&feature=share
This year we are expanding into the room next door so we should have more breathing room. Last year we were packed to the gills and had to turn away some exhibitors. This year they have renovated the rooms and have made a quantum improvement in the lighting which, let's face it, was poor, but those days are gone. Here is a pic of the very first LI penshow in 2006.

post-1449-0-11534700-1394554194.jpeg

We plan to attend the show this year. We have been to several shows and they are always very nice. We have been to many shows - LI, DC, Ohio, NY - and have always been standing next to, in front of of near many FPN members but never actually met them unless there was some sort of organized meet up, arranged here or on other boards. It would be so nice for the show organizers to have some sort of small area, table or even sign for forum members to meet under/at/around.

If there is a cafeteria "meet" on Saturday, we will be there! :P

My bags are packed.... :lol:

Leaving to the airport tonight.. flying to New Hampshire.. Then, driving tomorrow night to Long Island... I will certainly be there on Saturday... So excited!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I just printed my FPN icon and plan to laminate it, put my name on it and wear it to the show as a pin. If you see this bear, please do say hello! :)