Muji A5 Denim Tag Notebook Cover

cellmatrix

This is a review of the Muji A5 Denim Tag Cover. Its available from Muji USA for the ridiculously inexpensive price of $5.95. It has a soft friendly but sturdy feel to it, just like the demin tags on jeans. These covers have the right look for me, not ostentatious, but instead they have a utilitarian presence, a quiet elegance, a zen minimalist aura, an understated confidence, a purposeful simplicity.....and so forth.

Another thing I like is that the cover itself has no brand names at all, and moreover the cover occludes the notebook insert brand names too. The final result is that there is no advertisement at all on the notebook, so you are not looking like a walking advertisement when you have your journal in hand.

Of course it fits pretty nicely with the A5 notebooks that Muji sells. But the good news is that it fits Rhodia or Clairefontaine A5 notebooks really well, including the Classic Rhodia side staple, as well as Clairefontaine Classic, 1951 and life unplugged models such as these:

http://exaclairretailers.com/page/pdfcatalog?tp=exc&q=25

http://www.rhodiapads.com/collections_classic_stapled_A5.shtml

http://www.exaclair.com/brands_clairefontaine_unplugged.shtml

http://exaclairretailers.com/page/pdfcatalog?tp=exc&q=28

From direct experience, I can tell you that the side staple 48 sheet/96 page Rhodia/Clairefontaine A5 lined and graph ruled notebooks are the perfect fit for this Muji cover, almost like a glove, however the clothbound 96 sheet/192 page A5 Clairefontaine notebooks fit pretty decently too.

Its important to point out though, that Clairefontaine A5 French Rule and the Clairefontaine A5 Lined with Margin Notebooks are a little wider (6.5 Inches) and DO NOT fit the Muji A5 cover.

I've been using this cover for over a year and its held up really well with mild to moderate use. I usually transport it in a little sleeve built into my briefcase, where its held flat most of the time, so I have not done an extreme stress test on it. But just handling it I can tell it can take much more abuse than I've given it. According to the website, the material acquires more character if you abuse it, just like what happens I suppose to the tag on jeans after you wash them multiple times. Here are some pictures of the Muji denim tag cover on a 1951 Clairefontaine lined A5 side staple notebook, just to show you how nice the fit is. Overall you really can't go wrong with these Muji covers.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3815/12126395213_aa6bb5fb5f_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3770/12126775446_0b8df05e3c_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7336/12126773886_da7a24edac_c.jpghttp://farm4.staticflickr.com/3693/12124765185_914e352ece_c.jpg

The usual disclaimers apply, not connected in any way with Muji, just a happy customer. So ladies and gentlemen, there you have it.

Edited by cellmatrix

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkypete

• cellmatrix

• gardel

• da vinci

+1 to all the above.

I'm glad you posted this review; I agree completely. I have quite a few of these. They are deceptively tough & are a cheap & effective way to give all my different notebooks a smart, uniform look and to hide the garish covers often found on cheaper notebooks.

I have also decorated some of the covers with things like stencils, decoupage, washi tape etc, put them on notebooks & given them as gifts.

They're so inexpensive that you can afford to really play around with them. And they are surprisingly resilient.

I get mine from Muji UK/EU

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thanks for the review. It looks very nice but I am not entirely clear what the cover is made of - leather?

Good to hear they are available in the uk :)

Thanks for the review. It looks very nice but I am not entirely clear what the cover is made of - leather?

Good to hear they are available in the uk :)

They are made of the same stuff that the tag on the back of your jeans is made of. I have a few that a friend from NY sent to me and they are fantastic value. I love them. Amazing value and very durable.

Muji has just opened their first store downunder in Melbourne and a second one to open here soon. Haven't had a chance to check it out as yet so not sure if they sell these covers.

Anyone who can get them I encourage to give them a try. Ridiculously good value - in fact, bloody cheap.

PS: Excellent review and very accurate. Well done.

Edited by inkypete
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Very good review. I also have a few of these and find them to be great notebook covers.

Does anyone have experience with the Muji notebooks? I'm wondering if they are good to use along with fountain pens.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Very good review. I also have a few of these and find them to be great notebook covers.

Does anyone have experience with the Muji notebooks? I'm wondering if they are good to use along with fountain pens.

Big Eddie posted a review of a muji notebook a couple years ago. I bought one at the same time I got this cover, and it was pretty good - it was charcoal grey in color and fairly cheap too. After that however, muji stopped making that particular model and instead started up a line of super smooth paper notebooks. I tried one, and it was quite nice. Reminded me a bit of kokuyo or apica paper. However the muji super smooth notebooks are slightly more expensive than rhodia and right now they seem to be out of stock at least in the US store.

Edit to add:

I also want to give credit to Big Eddie for being the first to mention the Muji denim cover on FPN on the same thread above. If he had not done this, I suspect I would never have learned of this cover. So thanks Eddie! :thumbup:

Edited by cellmatrix

+1 on what everyone has said. I bought about 3 of

both sizes after Big Eddie's review. I have never

regretted it. These are tough and quite attractive.

I use them with the MUJI notebooks that fit like a

glove in these.And now that one the notebooks is

coming in graph paper, I am even happier.

Getting these for me is easy too as I go past their NYC

store at least once a week.

TMac ... Their notebooks are quite FP friendly.

Most of my pens are CI's or Stubs and the paper

handles them quite well. Just a hint of show thru

which for me is very acceptable.

Aussie update: I checked with Muji at Chadstone this morning and they don't carry the denim tag range.

Yes, I buy these B5 notebooks. They rank "ok+" in my standings, but I expect performance perfection with paper. With most EF-M nibs the paper performs very well. Very few inks will feather or bleed through. The paper weight is thick enough that show through is minimal. For wet nibs with wet inks expect to see some bleeding and some feathering. I have to say that my experience has been the ink has to be laid down heavily to get it to bleed or feather. The paper is not super smooth; something that appeals to me, but it's not scratchy. Perhaps akin to Apica's Basic line. It has an off-white, egg shell color. The paper lines do show through with most inks if that bothers you. The pages are glued, but seem secure enough. The notebook opens up flat. They are my main notebook for research, daily work journal, and calculations--strictly a "notes" notebook. I think each notebook is 30 sheets (60 pages).

I've tried this one too. Paper performance is similar, maybe slightly better. Expect bleeding and feathering with very wet nibs and inks. This one is saddle stitched and will obviously take more abuse. The color has a very pale greenish tint. Opens up flat.

For the price, I highly recommend trying Muji out and see for yourself.

I'm curious about the high quality A5 notebooks, but haven't ordered any yet. Maybe on the next denim tag notebook cover purchase, which I absolutely love and have many, I'll throw a few in to try.

Edited by mm1624124

Great information on the notebooks. I use, and love Apica basic notebooks. These sound like another notebook I need to try. Thanks for the detailed response!

• 3 months later...

Just in case anyone else decides to look for these and happens upon this thread.

I visited 2 Muji shops today in London. Both confirmed this product (the denim tag cover) has bern discontinued and they no longer had any stock. :(

Havent bothered to check the website though...

Just in case anyone else decides to look for these and happens upon this thread.

I visited 2 Muji shops today in London. Both confirmed this product (the denim tag cover) has bern discontinued and they no longer had any stock. :(

Tis a shame. Excellent product at an excellent price. They didn't make it down under but a god FPN friend from NY sent me some fresh from Times square. I love 'em.

I'm really sorry that I missed these. I just looked on the website and it is out of stock, so I assume that is the end of it.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

If you bother to check on line you will find that the A5 and B5 notebook covers are still being sold

http://www.muji.us/store/denim-tag-book-cover-a5-brown-1.html

Da Vinci is in the UK where they are no longer being sold online. And your link shows that they are also out of stock of the A5 online in the US

They've been out of stock at times before in the US store but theres been no indication that they are discontinued, lets hope not, they are a nice inexpensive resource for the FPN community.

Edited by cellmatrix

They've been out of stock at times before in the US store but theres been no indication that they are discontinued, lets hope not, they are a nice inexpensive resource for the FPN community.

Hope so too - excellent value.

:o :crybaby: :angry:

Glad I stocked up. I love them. I went so far as to try to find the denim-tag fabric in bulk to have some made just in case...so far, not much luck in that endeavor.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Big Eddie posted a review of a muji notebook a couple years ago. I bought one at the same time I got this cover, and it was pretty good - it was charcoal grey in color and fairly cheap too. After that however, muji stopped making that particular model and instead started up a line of super smooth paper notebooks. I tried one, and it was quite nice. Reminded me a bit of kokuyo or apica paper. However the muji super smooth notebooks are slightly more expensive than rhodia and right now they seem to be out of stock at least in the US store.

Edit to add:

I also want to give credit to Big Eddie for being the first to mention the Muji denim cover on FPN on the same thread above. If he had not done this, I suspect I would never have learned of this cover. So thanks Eddie! :thumbup:

I have just come across this thread, thanks for the thanks! I'm sure they would have come to light eventually, they are too good to be in the dark forever. Mine took a daily hammering with no special care taken and after a year they picked up two grubby marks, no damage at all to the case.

Bad news if they are being discontinued. At one point the charcoal backed notebooks disappeared, but were back in stock a month or so later. Muji seem to be popping up with other things in this material though, I bought a little slip phone case for about £4 which is doing the job really well.

Glad to hear others are enjoying them :)

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I have just come across this thread, thanks for the thanks! I'm sure they would have come to light eventually, they are too good to be in the dark forever. Mine took a daily hammering with no special care taken and after a year they picked up two grubby marks, no damage at all to the case.

Bad news if they are being discontinued. At one point the charcoal backed notebooks disappeared, but were back in stock a month or so later. Muji seem to be popping up with other things in this material though, I bought a little slip phone case for about £4 which is doing the job really well.

Glad to hear others are enjoying them :)

Bigeddie, you will be relieved to hear the charcoal note books are still available :)