Gray Inks

Abner C. Kemp

Recently, I have become more and more interested in gray inks. Originally I thought they were very dull looking but the color has grown on me. The color is easy on the eyes and seems ideal for personal notes/study materials. What do you guys think? Could you use a grey ink for your notes or would it be too boring/difficult to read? And of course, tell me what your favorite gray ink is.

Thanks!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Abner C. Kemp

• MKeith

• migo984

I use Diamine Graphite daily, it's one of my favorite inks. I love the slightly greenish cast to shading depending on the nib. Dark but not dull, and a bit mysterious.

The Kobe inks made by Sailor have a couple of interesting greys. #31 Kaigan Stone Grey and #46 Nagisa Museum Grey, in particular.

My current favorite ink is J. Herbin Gris Nuage. It flows wonderfully from my Lamy 2000M with a broad nib. It looks a little dull at first when it comes out of the pen but then it dries with lovely shading.

My favorite is Mont Blanc Oyster Grey. It has good flow and doesn't seem to feather or bleed through for me. I have not tried Diamine, but I did try Private Reserve Gray Flannel and it has a distinct green hue when dry. If you are using vintage pens, I would recommend either the MB or Diamine.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Gris Nuage is really nice...leans toward the blue side. Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu Syogun is my favorite.

http://pentulant.blogspot.com/2013/08/ink-review-pilot-iroshizuku-fuyu-syogun.html

I use it regularly..no problems and lots of potential for shading.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Fuyu-syogun is a favourite of mine for writing, I also increasingly use a darker grey (MB Einstein) in a fine nib to make notes on notes.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I really like De Atramentis Tchaikowsky, which I think is relabeled Silver Grey. It really looks grey -- not watered down black -- but is still dark enough to be legible (which is the problem I had with Gris Nuage: pretty color but really light). And most of the D'A inks I've tried are fairly wet and flowing, which is good if you have a drier nib.

Fuyu-syogun is supposed to be a blueish grey, but I wasn't really getting that color :( at all.

I have samples of Diamine Grey (which is reported to have some sheen) and De Atramentis Fog Grey, but I haven't tried them yet.

Not sure if it qualifies as grey, but also maybe have a look at Noodler's El Lawrence. It's a weird color -- somewhere between grey, green and sepia (think used motor oil!) but there's just something sort of mesmerizing about it. And it has the bonus of being pretty waterproof, so I feel safe using it to write checks or addressing envelopes. Probably not everyone's cup of tea -- but I didn't think I'd like it either, till I saw a review; and Just. Kept. Staring.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've only tried De Atramentis Fog Grey and Private Reserve Gray Flannel and I really liked the fog grey, a really nice blue grey. The PR is a bit less saturated but shades more and it is a touch green. I also have a sample of Fuyu-Syogun that I can't wait to try, but the swab I did looks similar to the fog grey.

Private Reserve makes a lovely darkish grey called Gray Flannel (even if the spell it funny :).

http://cdn3.volusion.com/zecn7.jeyr6/v/vspfiles/photos/PR14GF-2T.jpg?1386832470

Image from gouletpens.com

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

My grey of choice is Noodler's Lexington Gray (see the Goulets' swab here: http://www.gouletpens.com/Ink_Sample_Noodler_s_Lexington_Gray_p/is-n19042.htm ). I think I read a description of it once as being the colour of a pencil. I think that's about right. It's bulletproof to boot.

As for El Lawrence, I agree it's an interesting colour but it has some funky smell going on.

Colour is its own reward - N. Finn

Stone Grey from Graf von Faber-Castell is very nice too. It is kind of new, and I don't know if there is even a review up on it. I'm planning to write one in the future...
I can't compare it to other greys though.
It is a good mid-grey color what shades nicely. It can have great dark grey shades, and it also has some water resistance.

Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but Organics Studios Arsenic is absolutely wonderful. It is a bit of a darker grey, but I do not like the lighter greys at all.

I find Diamine Grey and Noodler's Lexington to be true medium and dark greys, repspectively, with no ting of green that other greys seem to have. I think Diamine Grey is practically identical to a pencil.

My favorite is Mont Blanc Oyster Grey. It has good flow and doesn't seem to feather or bleed through for me. I have not tried Diamine, but I did try Private Reserve Gray Flannel and it has a distinct green hue when dry. If you are using vintage pens, I would recommend either the MB or Diamine.

Well I took a trip over to a local mall today where there is a small pen store. I was originally planning on purchasing some Rhodia notebooks but they had a sale on inks. I ended up grabbing a bottle of Mont Blanc Oyster Grey for $14 which wasn't cheap but seemed reasonable to me. I have to say I am very fond of the ink. In my XF nibs it resembles pencil but with a bit more silvery sheen. I have seen no bleed through or feathering with it on cheap papers either. It's a great neutral color that is easy on the eyes. I think I will keep at least one pen permanently inked with it.

Well I took a trip over to a local mall today where there is a small pen store. I was originally planning on purchasing some Rhodia notebooks but they had a sale on inks. I ended up grabbing a bottle of Mont Blanc Oyster Grey for $14 <snip>

Wow, where? Paradise pen at KOP? I see that you are in Philly as well, but I cannot think of any other malls in the area that has a pen store. A bottle of MontBlanc for $14.- is a fantastic price, I am totally going!!! Sorry for an off topic post, but it is such a great deal, too good to pass up!!!

Well I took a trip over to a local mall today where there is a small pen store. I was originally planning on purchasing some Rhodia notebooks but they had a sale on inks. I ended up grabbing a bottle of Mont Blanc Oyster Grey for $14 which wasn't cheap but seemed reasonable to me. I have to say I am very fond of the ink. In my XF nibs it resembles pencil but with a bit more silvery sheen. I have seen no bleed through or feathering with it on cheap papers either. It's a great neutral color that is easy on the eyes. I think I will keep at least one pen permanently inked with it.

Wow, where? Paradise pen at KOP? I see that you are in Philly as well, but I cannot think of any other malls in the area that has a pen store. A bottle of MontBlanc for $14.- is a fantastic price, I am totally going!!! Sorry for an off topic post, but it is such a great deal, too good to pass up!!!

Abner C. Kemp: I hope you enjoy the ink.

flyingfox: You are right, I paid $17 +tax at Paradise Pen in Portland, Oregon a couple of months ago.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Stone Grey from Graf von Faber-Castell is very nice too. It is kind of new, and I don't know if there is even a review up on it. I'm planning to write one in the future...

I can't compare it to other greys though.

It is a good mid-grey color what shades nicely. It can have great dark grey shades, and it also has some water resistance.

I have a sample of this in one of my Nakayas. I really, really like this grey. True grey, I suppose. Lighter than Noodler's Lexington Gray, which I liked, but I think I like the Faber Castell better.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Abner C. Kemp: I hope you enjoy the ink.

flyingfox: You are right, I paid $17 +tax at Paradise Pen in Portland, Oregon a couple of months ago.

Upon further inspection I did pay $17 for the ink. There was a small sale sign near the inks and when she rang everything up I thought I got a deal. It ended up that the Rhodia notebooks were less than expected. But, I like the ink enough that I would gladly pay $17. This was my first visit to the store which is amazing since I live just a short drive away. To be honest, I never even knew it existed. It's a small place but they have a very nice selection. At the moment they have Parker and Waterman pens on sale including two very nice Carenes and a few Sonnets.

I was proud of myself for not purchasing a Visconti Van Gogh… it wasn't easy. :puddle:

Edited by Abner C. Kemp