Expert Nib

ainterne

Hi there, I have just joined the site and also recently purchased a Waterman Expert GT pen. I am really pleased with the way the pen is weighted and I enjoy writing with it. With that said I would like very much to change the nib for a finer nib. I have written to Waterman but they have not responded and I can't find any information regarding new/replacement nibs on their web site. I have some questions that perhaps someone can answer for me.

1: Can I buy a new replacement nib for my pen? It seems there are lots of used nibs available for different pens, but not much for a Waterman Expert. Are there companies that sell replacement/new nibs that fit in a Waterman?

2: If they are available, is replacing a nib a job that needs special tools, or could I do it myself?

3: Would I just be better purchasing a new pen with the correct nib, or are the nibs relatively inexpensive?

While composing this mail a Waterman Dealer has finally mailed me on behalf of Waterman. Apparently they only swap out the nibs if the original is in good condition, but do not offer new nibs on their own:-(..... Also I would have to send my pen away for at least 3 weeks while they change the nib. That seems an extraordinary long time since I live in Michigan and the dealer is in Atlanta.

Is the purchase of replacement parts just a Waterman specific issue or is it common for all pen manufacturers. I used to purchase Waterman pens many years ago (30 years ago) when I first started work. They where easily available in those days and numerous stores had many in stock.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out answer my questions, your help is appreciated.

Phil.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• ainterne

• RMN

• dboulonnais

Is it an Expert 1, 2 or 3.

Nibs/sections for the series 1 will prove most difficult other than buying a complete pen. Complete sections (nib, feed and block) for the 2 and 3 are available and would be much easier.

Fergus, Good question, I don't know how to find that....

Other than to say I have just purchased it.

The model number is

Manufacturer Part Number S0951660 This is on my receipt.

The number on the web site for that pen is

Reference S0951640,S0951660

So would I be right in thinking that it would be a 2 or 3?

Phil..

I was curious about the Expert II - III differences. As of recently I have both, so I tried switching parts.

The nibs are the same. The feeds are the same. I switched whole sections and the pens didn't know the difference. They fit each other's barrels, and the caps snap in place just the same.

The only difference I could find is the cap band. I would feel absolutely comfortable using nibs, feeds and sections interchangeably with the II and III. There must be more differences that I didn't notice; perhaps someone can correct me.

Expert I nib:

fpn_1390523618__expert_i_nib.jpg

Expert II - III nib:

fpn_1390523685__expert_ii_nib.jpg

Dutchpen recently advertised some Ex II section/nibs in FPN classifieds. Lennard is a very good source.

S0951660 appears to equate to a III. If so then I am surprised Waterman Service did not offer to sell a complete section. Google the www and you will find dealers in your country selling them in all the nib sizes.

It's surprising that there really are not many if any dealers selling nibs for the Expert. I think I am going to to some research and find a better solution. There must be another manufacturer that offers better service and more options. The dealer in Atlanta did come back to me and the new nib would cost $49 + $14 shipping. So nearly $55..... So I may as well just pay another $60 and get a whole new pen... Sigh.....

It's surprising that there really are not many if any dealers selling nibs for the Expert. I think I am going to to some research and find a better solution. There must be another manufacturer that offers better service and more options. The dealer in Atlanta did come back to me and the new nib would cost $49 + $14 shipping. So nearly $55..... So I may as well just pay another $60 and get a whole new pen... Sigh.....

That's cheaper than here in the UK. Yes, buying another pen is probably the cost effective way.

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

My much loved Waterman Expert 3 suffered a tragedy recently (young children and pens don't mix bless them) nevertheless my pen is dead (badly bent nib).

So I have been searching in vain to find a replacement nib and sadly have had very poor success. All I seem to find is new pen sales despite being specific in my searching for "nib" "replacement" etc etc.

I would be most grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of a reputable store that could provide some options for me, ideally in Germany first of all though I appreciate this is outside most folks area of experience,

The UK or another part of Europe would be ideal then the rest of the world just purely to make it easy to do business.

I would like to ask if it is easy enough to simply change only the nib or must the whole section be changed?

By the way, the prices you are mentioning for pens are seriously cheap compared to what I paid for mine.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

Grammatoncleric

"Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil "I shall either find a way or make one" - Hannibal

I suspect finding a nib (metal bit) only will prove difficult but you could try Dutchpen here on FPN.

A new section in the UK is £45

If willing to wait you will find one on ebay and at a good price. I purchased a series 3 FP a while back but moved it on very quickly for a nice profit.

They are for sale on Amazon.. http://www.amazon.com/WATERMAN-Expert-Fountain-Lacquer-S0951660/dp/B005NJOLLC

You can buy mine for $50 if it helps you out. I don't use it and it's still in new condition as I have hardly used it. I have moved on to Antique Flex Nib pens.

I do wonder about shipping though, I recently found that paying for a "registered" package to Ireland would cost $54 from here. (Michigan). So I am not sure where you live. I know that it's expensive to ship to Ireland for some reason. If its still about the same price then it's not worth it for you, but if it's much cheaper, the offer is there...

I still have the original box etc...

As you are in Germany, have a look at Amazon.de. Look fo Expert Federblock.

Currently they have on listed at 50 euros. (F nib)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in to see if there were any new options found other than purchasing a new/used pen. I'm in the same boat, my Matte Black with Chrome Waterman Expert II did a nose dive into laminate flooring. Needless to say the tines were curled over.

If someone has found a place to purchase nibs only, or alternate nibs that would fit, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have new nibs available for the waterman expert.(no 1st generation).

Pm me if you are interested

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

I have new nibs available for the waterman expert.(no 1st generation).

Pm me if you are interested

as I said 5 posts back but it fell on stoney ground my friend

The same happenned with me.Mine was Expert mk 1.Well, initially I was disappointed. But then I very carefully straightend the twines of the nib with some self made tools.And it worked perfectly well.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know whether the nib sections of the Mk 1 and Mk 2 (or 3) are exchangeable?

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

Hi there, I have just joined the site and also recently purchased a Waterman Expert GT pen. I am really pleased with the way the pen is weighted and I enjoy writing with it. With that said I would like very much to change the nib for a finer nib. I have written to Waterman but they have not responded and I can't find any information regarding new/replacement nibs on their web site. I have some questions that perhaps someone can answer for me.

1: Can I buy a new replacement nib for my pen? It seems there are lots of used nibs available for different pens, but not much for a Waterman Expert. Are there companies that sell replacement/new nibs that fit in a Waterman?

2: If they are available, is replacing a nib a job that needs special tools, or could I do it myself?

3: Would I just be better purchasing a new pen with the correct nib, or are the nibs relatively inexpensive?

While composing this mail a Waterman Dealer has finally mailed me on behalf of Waterman. Apparently they only swap out the nibs if the original is in good condition, but do not offer new nibs on their own:-(..... Also I would have to send my pen away for at least 3 weeks while they change the nib. That seems an extraordinary long time since I live in Michigan and the dealer is in Atlanta.

Is the purchase of replacement parts just a Waterman specific issue or is it common for all pen manufacturers. I used to purchase Waterman pens many years ago (30 years ago) when I first started work. They where easily available in those days and numerous stores had many in stock.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out answer my questions, your help is appreciated.

Phil.

What size is your nib? If it's a broad, I might have a fine that I'd offer to trade straight across.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

• 3 months later...

I would love to be able to find Extra Fine section for all six of my Experts (especially my three daily writers), for a decent price. On Ebay US they are $75-$90.

And I note that the selling prices of Experts has dropped by half since I last checked maybe six months ago. Anyone know what's happening?