Gama Hawk Ebonite Fountain Pen Released By Asapens

a_m

Review of Gama Hawk - the new Gama ebonite fountain pen being released through ASApens.in

I am so excited that I could not stop myself from sharing this on FPN. Usually I write my pen reviews on my website, but this one is different. I already have some of the Gama ebonite fountain pens which I find to be extremely good fountain pen. I have reviewed one of the Gama Supreme on my site also. The Gama Supreme has also been reviewed in detail on FPN by fellow FPN members. Currently I have the following Gama ebonites in my collection.

Some days back ASApens released the Gama Kuyil which is a black ebonite fountain pen with matt finish. On my request ASApens also sent me a few closeups of the image. However matt finish is not my turf. Though I found it tempting, I resisted it. Instead I put on a request with ASApens - can you make available a shiny black ebonite FP that does not have matt finish and that the two ends of such FP is rounded and not have flat ends !

Between different exchanges on email and whatsapp there was also an additional request - can there also be engraving of my name on such FP? As previously observed that ASApens goes an extra mile in customer satisfaction, the reply was affirmative.

Some days back ASApens sent me the image of the pen as it was made. The pen looked stupendously beautiful! I was told that only five of such pieces have been created.

Its a full black ebonite eyedropper with beautiful shape and shine. And there was more in surprise - the head of the cap was glass ! Oh I was concerned - is that glass top big? No it was not big but blends with the cap. So it seemed a good innovation that added to its looks.

I was also sent a few "better" images of the newly created fountain pen

The fountain pen size compared with its other contemporaries Kuyil and Supreme.

Today finally I received the image of the Gama Hawk with my name engraved. Isn't that beautiful?

(yes its engraved, not printed as it initially looks!)

Obviously I currently dont have the pen on my hands. But I already know the nib quality because of the gama ebonites previously bought, and its pretty good to write really well out of box. So nib is no concern. The shiny black FP (named Gama Hawk) has come out to be even better than what I had thought. Of course the credit for design goes to ASApens and the penturners. And the size and looks of the pen looked absolutely fabulous.

Also, ASApens shared with me image of another unnamed fountain pen that would also be released soon

I have been told that the Gama Hawk and the new varieties would soon also be listed on their website asapens.in The images privy between me and ASApens have been used here with permission of ASApens.

Cant wait for the Gama Hawk to arrive !

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• hari317

• Scribblesoften

• phipwood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful. You have made me extremely jealous. Now why didn't I think of that?

But I didn't, and you did. Enjoy - both the scoop and the pen once it arrives. Congratulations.

My Kuyil is reportedly in Curaçao - I ordered right after Hari posted the review - and I never thought of altering the design, but your changes are stunning. And I agree that their nibs make for a wonderful writing experience.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thanks that you like it. Yes these handmade ebonite FPs are really fantastic. The design and patterns give immense joy to write with. Infact now a days I am writing more with these ebonites than any other FPs. :)

I put my savings to test

Saw these pens and some more new creations last week when I visited both ASApens and Gem and Co in Madras. Some pics might follow in a separate post.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Saw these pens and some more new creations last week when I visited both ASApens and Gem and Co in Madras. Some pics might follow in a separate post.

Do share.

I put my savings to test

That's a lovely pen, how much did it cost? How long did it take for them to make the pen for you? What sized nib does it have? Can the nib be removed and replaced? I would like to put a custom No. 6 flex nib in one of these. Is the feed ebonite or plastic?

By the way, the bloody Asapen Web site will not show you prices unless you register on their site. That's a sales prevention policy if I've ever seen one.

Edited by Drone

That's a lovely pen, how much did it cost? How long did it take for them to make the pen for you? What sized nib does it have? Can the nib be removed and replaced? I would like to put a custom No. 6 flex nib in one of these. Is the feed ebonite or plastic?

By the way, the bloody Asapen Web site will not show you prices unless you register on their site. That's a sales prevention policy if I've ever seen one.

Yes thats a lovely FP. The cost is similar to Kuyil. I think we discussed it initially sometimes in December end. I am not that of an expert regarding nib size - but its the nib and feed is friction fit. The feed is ebonite. Infact nearly all Indian FPs use ebonite feed. Apart from that, regarding the nib size, I can say that in Gama brand I have seen that the feed diameter (ie. internal section diameter) approximates the Sheaffer NN (thats what many FPN members have also discussed, though I have not really tested that out)

Regarding the registration at the ASApen site, I cant comment on its policies. But I think its a good one.

Some years back I had once an experience with one of the e-commerce site. That site allowed for transaction without even registration, and that too with open id like using Facebook id. So in those times I was bit bitten with the concept of a single id and was using FB id wherever I could. So that night I did a transaction on that site that had such a configuration. And guess - I found while the money was deducted, there was no record displayed of my purchase on that site ! And moreover even when I had purchased, there was no login created, even I did not receive email of purchase from that site! So I was exasperated as to what had happened, while the money was deducted there was no record of my purchase ! And obviously as it was night and not business hours, there was no reply to my email nor anyone to pick phones - the reply came only next day afternoon ! From that time onwards I stopped being fan of a single id or using checkout without registration. Maybe ASApens might have considered these issues.

As such I have been buying from ASA since nearly a year - and their customer service is fantastic.

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

What sized nib does it have? Can the nib be removed and replaced? ... Is the feed ebonite or plastic?

the nib measures 35mm from tip to heel. Feeder diameter is 6.35mm.

Yes the nib can be removed and replaced. You will need a nib knockout block, the nib is correctly a tight friction fit in the section

The feed is made of ebonite.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I agree with Drone. I went to the site, tried to place an order and gave up.

Maybe if I was at my computer and not my phone, but there are enough cool FP items out the for me to give waste time on a site like this.

You need to evoke more terror in your co-workers. No one would grab Darth Vader's fountain pen. Hmm, I wonder what kind of pen that would be.

-Scribblesoften

I agree with Drone. I went to the site, tried to place an order and gave up.

Maybe if I was at my computer and not my phone, but there are enough cool FP items out the for me to give waste time on a site like this.

No offence - but I find it strange, if one wants to buy seriously, how can one buy without wishing to provide ones email and mail address? Perhaps we have become too conditioned by software downloads on our mobile apps - google play, amazon etc that provides one click buys - that we dont even wish to type out our own address ! Yes, may be ASA should consider developing a mobile app - that would get it more business.

I put my savings to test

btw it seems the Gama Hawk is sold out ! Just saw the ASApens.in website. Its now up for preorder.

I put my savings to test

No offence - but I find it strange, if one wants to buy seriously, how can one buy without wishing to provide ones email and mail address? Perhaps we have become too conditioned by software downloads on our mobile apps - google play, amazon etc that provides one click buys - that we dont even wish to type out our own address ! Yes, may be ASA should consider developinkg a mobile app - that would get it more business.

I think the point most folks are making is this - it seems counterproductive to force a registration so that a potential customer can find out how much something costs. If I want to buy a pen , fine, forcing registration can be defended, but before?

FWIW, They have do have an ebay shop where their prices are displayed in INR.

http://www.ebay.in/sch/asapens/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

INR of some FPs cheaper on the ASApens website than on the eBay

I put my savings to test

The Asapens site worked well for me. Registration was simple. I am glad to be able to add them as a source for pens. Thank you for sharing the pictures of your beautiful Hawk. Please post a writing sample when the pen arrives. Do the Gama pens write comparably with Deccan pens?

Edited by Scribblesoften

The Asapens site worked well for me. Registration was simple. I am glad to be able to add them as a source for pens. Thank you for sharing the pictures of your beautiful Hawk. Please post a writing sample when the pen arrives. Do the Gama pens write comparably with Deccan pens?

Thanks - the Hawk definitely looks beautiful.

I am told Hawk has the same nib as the Supreme.You can find the writing sample of supreme at supreme review on my site. As to Deccan I have one Deccan and a few nibs that Deccan uses in its FPs. In my opinion, the nib smoothness is similar & comparable.

I put my savings to test

Review of Gama Hawk - the new Gama ebonite fountain pen being released through ASApens.in

I am so excited that I could not stop myself from sharing this on FPN. Usually I write my pen reviews on my website, but this one is different. I already have some of the Gama ebonite fountain pens which I find to be extremely good fountain pen. I have reviewed one of the Gama Supreme on my site also. The Gama Supreme has also been reviewed in detail on FPN by fellow FPN members. Currently I have the following Gama ebonites in my collection.

attachicon.gifgama_ebonites_ihave.jpg

Some days back ASApens released the Gama Kuyil which is a black ebonite fountain pen with matt finish. On my request ASApens also sent me a few closeups of the image. However matt finish is not my turf. Though I found it tempting, I resisted it. Instead I put on a request with ASApens - can you make available a shiny black ebonite FP that does not have matt finish and that the two ends of such FP is rounded and not have flat ends !

Between different exchanges on email and whatsapp there was also an additional request - can there also be engraving of my name on such FP? As previously observed that ASApens goes an extra mile in customer satisfaction, the reply was affirmative.

Some days back ASApens sent me the image of the pen as it was made. The pen looked stupendously beautiful! I was told that only five of such pieces have been created.

attachicon.gifgama_hawk.jpg

attachicon.gifgama_hawk_1.jpg

Its a full black ebonite eyedropper with beautiful shape and shine. And there was more in surprise - the head of the cap was glass ! Oh I was concerned - is that glass top big? No it was not big but blends with the cap. So it seemed a good innovation that added to its looks.

attachicon.gifglass_top_gama_hawk.jpg

I was also sent a few "better" images of the newly created fountain pen

attachicon.gifnew_gama_hawk.jpg

attachicon.gifnew_gama_hawk1.jpg

The fountain pen size compared with its other contemporaries Kuyil and Supreme.

attachicon.gifnew_gama_hawk_3.jpg

Today finally I received the image of the Gama Hawk with my name engraved. Isn't that beautiful?

(yes its engraved, not printed as it initially looks!)

attachicon.gifgama_hawk_myname.jpg

Obviously I currently dont have the pen on my hands. But I already know the nib quality because of the gama ebonites previously bought, and its pretty good to write really well out of box. So nib is no concern. The shiny black FP (named Gama Hawk) has come out to be even better than what I had thought. Of course the credit for design goes to ASApens and the penturners. And the size and looks of the pen looked absolutely fabulous.

Also, ASApens shared with me image of another unnamed fountain pen that would also be released soon

attachicon.gifIMG-20140123-WA0001.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20140123-WA0002.jpg

I have been told that the Gama Hawk and the new varieties would soon also be listed on their website asapens.in The images privy between me and ASApens have been used here with permission of ASApens.

Cant wait for the Gama Hawk to arrive !

Lovely pen. As regards the 'engraving' part, my experiences have been really bad. Although I purchased pens from The Pen Corner and Gem & Co, both shops flatly refused to a) engrave my initials on my Gama Medium or the Kim Jumbo, and b)give me any information regarding other places where I can get them engraved.

Maybe I should contact Mr.Subramanian at asapens and ask him.

Enjoy your superb pen!

Regards,

Sub

Maybe I should contact Mr.Subramanian at asapens and ask him.

it will be "subbu calling subbu" :)

Deccan will engrave your name on the pen. Dunno why Gem refused, they usually happily agree to engrave names.