Is It Possible To Take A Hero 704 Completely Apart?

discopig

I'd like to take out the nib and feed so I can clean them properly, is it possible or am I going to break something by pulling them out? And if it possible, how should I proceed?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• richardandtracy

• Eclectica

• discopig

I have two of these. :) I have taken both apart. It is possible. :D

So WHY did I need to take them apart?

Both pens had the nibs rotated at a slight angle and used to suddenly start gushing blobs onto the page when the convertor was about half full. So really there was little to lose - short of keeping them as dip pens.

...BUT... :huh:

...having taken them fully apart, both now have damaged feeds. :o Some of the thin plastic plates which make up the feed simply snapped off.

I reckon a seasoned experienced nib-meister could possibly have knocked out the feed without damaging the fins, but may too have struggled.

The trouble is the nib is wedged in sooooo tight that to get enough purchase on the feed (with chamoise cloth etc.) the fins break under the pressure. Even tapping out the feed from the convertor end with a carefully crafted wooden toothpick is not overly effective because the nib is stuck-fast and does not move with the feed. (By just keeping tapping out the feed, the back edge of the nib graunches against the feed fins high up in the section).

However, having removed the loose fins and thoroughly cleaned the feed and section, I reassembled the units making sure that the nibs were not rotated. The nibs ended up a little further out than before, but perfectly aligned. There are no sudden gushing blobs everywhere now - so the pens are a lot more usable at least. :P

Take care - probably best to adopt a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach with this one.

Ultrasonic cleaning would be a better option to ensure complete cleaning I think. ;)

Cheers,

E.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute on topic as I have no idea, but it does remind me...

In the Design Office where I work, a manager asked me to draw an exploded diagram of a container and was somewhat non-plussed when I asked him "How many fragments do you want me to draw?" and then scribbled on a piece of paper the word 'Bang', a ragged star around it, and four lumps of box around the star.

I shall now pretend to be serious again.

Regards,

Richard.

I'm a big fan of blutack for this sort of thing (removing generic friction fit nibs & feeds from generic Chinese cartridge pens).

On the flip side, I'm very much prejudiced against routinely removing nibs and feeds for cleaning.

Anyhoo, I use a generous blob of blutack, and the edge of a desk. Making the blob a generous size fills the delicate fins, and cushions them from stress. Depending on your climate, you may wish to pop the blutack in the fridge for a while, as it's less "shear-y" when cold.

1. Knead a blob of blutack, wrap the blob round the nib and feed.

2. Press the surplus into the surface of the desk edge. The section should be hanging off the edge of the desk.

3. Press the palm of one hand over the blutack blob, lean into it with your body weight.

4. While doing so, use your other hand to sharply yank the section away from the desk.

Repeat from step 1.This will take a few gos to completely remove the nib, each yank moving the nib and feed slightly. Any little bits of blutack stuck in the feed fins can be removed using a larger piece of blutack.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Generic%20Chinese%20FP%20Friction%20Fit%20Nib%20Removal/GenericChineseFrictionfitNibampFeedRemoval.jpg

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

• 2 weeks later...