Photo

What Is The Difference Between The Le And The Standard?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Slackware

Dr.Slackware

Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:55

What is the difference between the FPN LE pen and the standard Passoportos?

#2 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:54

1: the specific colour

2: the treads for secure posting the cap

3: the inscription

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#3 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 13:35

I don't think you answered his question
1. What are the color differences?
2. Threads per inch or mm including pitch e.g ,36 too or .7
3. What is the inscription ?

Help the man out
Jerry

#4 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 13:43

That should have said 36tpi 3 start
Small tactile keyboards
Jerry

#5 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2014 - 13:57

I don't think you answered his question
1. What are the color differences?
2. Threads per inch or mm including pitch e.g ,36 too or .7
3. What is the inscription ?

Help the man out
Jerry

I'll leave the details to you......

You seem in the know.... though a tad late...

D.ick

#6 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 17:44

I have been collecting for more than 25 years and several thousand pens have gon through my hands. I learned from Frank Dubiel, Pier Gustafson, Bob Johnson and a host of other advanced collector and I would not know a Passaporto or an FPN LE if you stuck it in my eye, so, therefore I do not know the answer. Am I to believe that you don't either based on your response?
Jerry

#7 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2014 - 18:26

Knowing your background (roughly) I thought you had these answers ready. Why didn't you say you wanted to know yourself....?

1: Colour: Click on the top right hand in teh buttonbar on Shop FPN and then FPN penstore: Pictures of the Passaporto and the other LE pens are shown there. The shown colour is for the LEs.  "regular" Passaportos come in several colours which I do not know, I only own two LEs.

2: Threading??? I don't normally count the threads... The same threading that closes the cap secures it on the back for posting.

3: inscription: on the barrel on one side Stipula Italy, and on the other side FPN 2011 004/200 and FPN 2012 - 4  (on mine) Note that the 2012 edition is a few made after the whole operation was closed and some material was still left

HTH

D.ick

#8 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 20:13

Threads are important as well as number of starts.  The typical (and that is not all) US fountain pens from days gone by are 3 starts 36 tpi (threads per inch) again that is not all of them.  Euopean typical (again not all) are .7 mm pitch which converts ca to 36tpi. (threads per inch)  These 2 thread patterns are almost indistinguishable.  When I make pens or parts depending upon the pen; if it is existing I need to know those details.  I thread both metric and inch.  For new pens t I make metric threads,  probably because my first set of taps and dies were metric,  Now I use all 3 of my lathes for external threading and taps for internal just because it's easier.  To me and maybe that's the mechanical engineer motor guy talking knowing these details is more important than "whatcha carrying today"?  

How many know why they use 3 starts for caps?  Grab an old English Swan for instance many of them are single start and some are 4.  Neither makes them bad, just different some English makers made 5 start.

I would suggest that the participants in this forum invest in Frank Dubiels "Da Book" and Jim Marshall and Laurence Oldfields "Pen Repair 2nd edition.  Although Frank was a very good friend and neighbor of mine his book is seriously out dated but information is to be gleaned from it.  Even if you are not going to repair it helps you to understand what is involved in the process.  For instance the taps and dies for 3 start .7 pitch or 36tpi cost in the neighborhood of $125 each per diameter.  The repairer can therefore have a significant investment in just threading tools

Maybe it's just me but I want to know how things work and I am a glutton for punishment as I have an MGB 1972 powered by the Prince of Darkness LUCAS.  I really don't care what color ink is your favorite or what pen you are waiting for.  I am interested in your issues, questions and how they can be resolved, do you need a part or a tip maybe I can help or I can suggest someone reliable who can help  so you can enjoy.  And in closing get to a pen show and join PCA, founts of information

Best

Jerry