Frozen Ink Lol

Ebonite And Ivory

If you want to try something crazy, lol, freeze your ink. Do NOT try this for the first time with your expensive MB149 and ruin the feed and then hate me. But I got this idea by accident and it can be fun with cheap pens. Flippin FED Ex left one of my packages on their truck for 5 days in the winter and delivered me frozen Iroshizuku. Like pop freezes in a can, the middle section was one hard ice cube but the sides had this brilliantly rich and saturated ink pockets. Iv'e never seen anything like it. I do not recommend this as a norm, lol, but, like I said, if you ever want to try something crazy...

There are 3 main ways for me to enjoy FPs....1) buying different pens. 2) buying a variety of inks for those pens (cheaper), and 3) using the same inks in different pens to see the color variations. When the more dense particles of ink sink to the bottom as the water freezes, one can soak up some really interesting hues. Again, before you hate me, I am not asking anyone to do this with an expensive pen or ink, nor do I take responsibility. Lol. But, tale the ol' faithful apache sunset, for example, by Noodlers. I just discussed this ink in a different post. This ink is all over the place with hues in the same line with just one pen. But applying this ink even more saturated through freezing, or, for the less crazy, simply enjoying this ink in the whole range of nib sizes, EF through Stub, can provide a remarkable experience of variety from just one ink and a few everyday pens.

All the best,

Stephen

I am happy to meet you. Please message me if you have any questions or want to be pen friends.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ebonite And Ivory

• amberleadavis

• SeeksAdvice

• dxing97

Obviously, Michigan didn't get cold enough.

Try looking at a frozen bottle of "Polar Blue".

I have found that some inks don't take well to freezing. I know it sounds strange, but the Polar Blue was never quite the same after freezing outside.

Does remind me that I should see what happened to one of my TWSBI 580's.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Welcome aboard!

I am so glad this isn't an issue for me.

I've been told that the Akkerman inks work well after thawing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Is it possible to evaporate inks as well through heating to increase saturation without decomposing any of the solutes?

Boiling is out of the question, but would moderately warm temperatures increase saturation without destroying any of the dyes and fungicides?

I can tell you that around here, inks evaporate without any extra heat. The problem seems to be they can be more prone to clogging.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Makes sense. I caught my mother eating a hard-skin, dessicated orange from Christmas.

I felt assamed that she had to do that, until she told me she did it intentionally, in the refrigerator.

The Navel orange was not very juicy, and the pulp was course. However, the intensity of the

consentrated flavor was delightful.

I just hope the neighbors don't see her eating a dry-up, old orange, and tell everyone what rotten

children she has.

In wines of Germany, such intensity in a dessicated-grape wine is "Trochen Beeren Auslese".

Or, if by freezing, "Eisewein".

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Makes sense. I caught my mother eating a hard-skin, dessicated orange from Christmas.

I felt assamed that she had to do that, until she told me she did it intentionally, in the refrigerator.

The Navel orange was not very juicy, and the pulp was course. However, the intensity of the

consentrated flavor was delightful.

I just hope the neighbors don't see her eating a dry-up, old orange, and tell everyone what rotten

children she has.

In wines of Germany, such intensity in a dessicated-grape wine is "Trochen Beeren Auslese".

Or, if by freezing, "Eisewein".

I feel better that I am not the only one who has caught the parents in compromising situations.

• 2 months later...

Dxing97,

I like how you're thinking. Ink is kindve cheap to experiment with. I never considered heating ink until you mentioned it. My colors are a bit jacked from freezing. Iroshizuku yo/yama buddo both arrived in sub zero temperatures and were ice cubes in the glass. But the saturation of color concentration was marvelous. ...For a noodlers ahab experiment probably....not a $600 pelikan, etc. ;) i'm looking forward to when Amazon drones will deliver packages within 30 minutes so that my inks will no longer have to freeze in the winter and boil in the summer.

I am happy to meet you. Please message me if you have any questions or want to be pen friends.

i'm looking forward to when Amazon drones will deliver packages within 30 minutes so that my inks will no longer have to freeze in the winter and boil in the summer.

Or, you can move down to California. I do sometimes miss the knee-high snow and the freshness of subzero air.

Edited by fledermaus89

I live in a hot tropical country... Perhaps I could put a bottle of Iroshizuku into the freezer?

http://i.imgur.com/xQaDQjc.png

I am now replacing every word with "Iroshizuku". You're looking very Iroshizuku today! Iroshizuku to you too!

Well, my experience with frozen ink was certainly colorful. An order of five bottles of Noodler's arrived a couple of months ago. It was thawed when I got it and enclosed in four post office supplied protective bags. Unfortunately, the ink was not very usable but the shipping package was a riot of color. It looked like an extreme example of tie-dying from the '60s.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing billf. That's funny. Minus the obvious not funny part of losing your ink. Lol. I got such a rich and saturated color from the part of the ink that was not frozen. Think freezing a pop can awhile then drinking the syrup while the frozen middle is mostly water with no flavor. Not good to do in nice pens. Super saturated and will clog feeds I bet. But fun nonetheless. Best regards! Hope you kept the tie die box ;)

I live in a hot tropical country... Perhaps I could put a bottle of Iroshizuku into the freezer?

You definitely could do that, but I would hate to see you mess up a nice bottle of $25 Iroshizuku on purpose. But that is what I used. It has to be frozen more than 50% so that you can suck up the saturated ink that remains. The water freezes first. See my reply to billf above. If it freezes all the way through then that of course will not work either because there would be no ink to suck into the pen, just ice. I would not try this with an expensive pen. I got a free noodlers pen when I purchased heart of darkness ink on amazon. You will get some very saturated and interesting colors when you try is I believe. I did! My soda example above makes senese in my mind as to why this works. Let me know if you do this and how it goes!

I should figure out how to post the results of North Dakota winter vs. Noodler's "Polar Blue." So much for "made for the coldest climates on Earth." Freaked out a paralegal by taking the bottle into the office, opening it, and then holding it upside down over her desk. After an overnight outside at -18F or so real air temp, just had a tiny bit that was not solid (guessing that was the ultra-concentrated fraction). Three drops of that and the rest was pretty much solid.

It's advertised, among other things, as a means to not worry about leaving a pen in the car in winter. Guessing that if a 3oz. bottle would freeze overnight under those conditions, the tiny amount inside a feed system and pen would as well.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan