New Lathe, New Resin, New Pen

InvisibleMan

Happy 2014 everybody!

I finished up my last pen of 2013 just before the ball dropped three hours after it actually dropped :D This one is the first pen from my new metal lathe that was delivered just before Christmas. I finally got the lathe set up and all the tooling I needed to make a pen, and here it is. I made it from resin that I've had for a while, but never used until very recently for some reason. I think I'll be using more of it very soon :) I poured it in blue, green and red. The blue has recently become bits and pieces of other finished and unfinished projects, the red is still sitting there, and the green is now mine! I may need to make a new section. I got a little carried away sanding, and it got a bit thin for me, but not too bad. Gallatin 8:

http://www.pensbylyleross.com/uploads/1/2/6/0/12608908/2998648_orig.jpg http://www.pensbylyleross.com/uploads/1/2/6/0/12608908/816873_orig.jpg

http://www.pensbylyleross.com/uploads/1/2/6/0/12608908/2332437_orig.jpg

Blog entry

Edited by InvisibleMan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InvisibleMan

• The Blue Knight

• fountainbel

• TMac

Thanks everybody! I'm loving the new metal lathe. The learning curve was a bit frustrating at first, but once the first couple hurdles were cleared, it went pretty well. Besides being able to dial in diameters accurately, this pen has quadruple lead threads, which is a very nice feature that I think I'll make a permanent feature on most of my pens. They're butter smooth :)

Gorgeous! If the red is as vibrant as the green, you've got just the pens to write your holiday cards in December.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

All these posts make me want to do is turn my own pens! However I probably have 20 years wait till then and I wonder what fountain pens will be when that day comes.

Beautiful!

Green is my huge weakness and this is a great green!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Gorgeous! If the red is as vibrant as the green, you've got just the pens to write your holiday cards in December.

Thanks! I just dug out the red ones to look at. I think they may have to become a pen soon... I have a big box full of blanks I've either just never used, or thought were duds. Some of the duds may not have hit the original mark, but I think they'll make very nice pens anyway. I hope :)

Beautiful!

Green is my huge weakness and this is a great green!

Thank you! Green is my favorite color.

Gorgeous color! Did you find using a metal lathe significantly different (easier/more challenging) than a wood lathe?

Nice pen! That color is nearly a match for the color of a Waterman

Phileas ballpoint I have.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.