Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Pay It Forward 2014

• Please log in to reply
2333 replies to this topic

#2311 SleepingCat

SleepingCat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 23:27

Here's Inky and the card plus ink sachet.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Edited by SleepingCat, 02 December 2014 - 23:38.

#2312 Kuhataparunks

Kuhataparunks

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:29

My PIF will be... I hope at least someone is interested...
A Pilot Elite "EF!"
Air quotes because, well, check out the picture and you'll see.

I expected it to write like a Pilot EF, and I was very, very disappointed.

I will ship only to the continental US.

EDIT...! What an incident....! I was writing with it unposted, forgot it wasn't posted and it rolled onto the hardwood floor, nib down. Its not too badly messed up, but it is noticeable.

It will go out to the first to PM me with an address.

Vieuxcarre has claimed this offer.
I'll be posting another one any time soon, if you missed out. Thanks everyone

#2313 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:17

Here's Inky and the card plus ink sachet.

You didn't get the joke?

Oh Honey, I don't just love you for your bottle.

With desirable and curvy bottles.

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

If you want to know about my ever changing Avatar, check out this thread.

Borrow a TWSBI?  

Borrow an Estie?

#2314 SleepingCat

SleepingCat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:13

You didn't get the joke?

Oh Honey, I don't just love you for your bottle.

With desirable and curvy bottles.

Oh! Okay! I didn't catch that. It makes sense now.

#2315 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• Moderators

• 16,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:17

So... I will be "inheriting" more Magic Cashmere, so I'm going to keep sharing. In January, the SuperPinks will be testing out more powdered inks. In order to become a SuperPink, you will need to gain experience in testing inks and Powdered inks, but you might asked... What are these ink powders?

This should help answer the question.  The powders were developed by Black Stone Ink company and sent to me for testing. Because I love to share the experience, I opened it up to others in this thread.  More than 50 FPNers helped test the first four batches of powdered inks - Amber, Balls, Cashmere and Diamond.  Here are the results of those tests, sorted by color.

Blue

Blue Batch A = Blue Amber
Blue Batch B = Blue Balls
Blue Batch C = Blue Cashmere
Blue Batch C version 2 = Too Blue Cashmere
Blue Batch D = Blue Diamond

Black

Black Batch A = Black Amber
Black Batch B = Black Balled
Black Batch C = Black Cat
Black Batch D = Black Diamond

Green

Green Batch C = Green Cashmere
Green Batch D = Green Diamond

Red

Red Batch C = Red Cashmere
Red Batch D = Red Diamond

After those tests, only the Cashmere line was distributed for further testing.  Attendees of the Toronto Pen show were given three of the Cashmeres  (Black, Red and Blue) and beta testers known as the SuperPInks were given sachets of four inks to test (Black, Red and Magic). The Green Cashmere suffered a mixing meltdown and ended up being Magic.  Each sachet of Magic is a different color AND it changes color as it dries.  ITS DANG COOL and will never be made again.

As for the name SuSeMai - Blackstone was originally the SUper SEcret MAker of Ink.  Blackstone said it like Toshiba - like Sue See Mah.  DCPritch who thought it was funny that I'm an attorney by day and ink tester by night, says it as So Sue Me.  The rest of us just call it AWESOME INK POWDER. 

Now... on to the PIF:

Rules:  If not within the US, you pay actual shipping.  You cannot have already won one of these inks.

Okay, I'm heading home for the night, but when I get back, I hope to see some PMs.

First five people who PM will each receive a sachet of ink.  I'll chose the ink but you can suggest if you really want a particular color.

Same rules, you can't have won before.

Borrow a TWSBI?  

Borrow an Estie?

#2316 mknoblauch

mknoblauch

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2014 - 22:06

This one is loooooong overdue, about three weeks, to be exact, due to my need to focus during a rather intensive quarter of MBA studies in which I had fallen somewhat behind.  I struggled to balance studies, work and family, the latter usually suffering as I tried to keep on top of the former.  I have actually been simply re-inking the same pens for the last month, and any posting I have done to FPN since the 2nd week of November has been like playing hooky from my life responsibilities.

Now, however, the papers and midterm in Business Law are behind me, and my team has worked our way up to first place in the Business Simulation Game last week.  But delayed gratification only makes getting to the reward even more fun, and yesterday I was finally able to play with the inks and papers I had received as a PIF from Amberlea!  

The PIF was an ideal "Holiday Primer" package, and included 5 sheets of fabulous FP friendly paper that she embellished with a festive red ribbon in the left margin using the ink she also sent, an exclusive mix that Amberlea has baptized as "Fire Diamond Dolomite."  

Ever the generous soul, Amberlea also threw in some Black Swan in Australian Roses (old formula, which I had never tried before last night!) and some folded vellum card stock.

About the Fire Diamond Dolomite.... Wow!  What an Ink!  Amberlea, ditch your legal practice --you need to start bottling this stuff and expand the color line!  It is clearly one of the most well-behaved inks I have ever used.  

I wrote on cheap notebook paper, copier paper, the FP friendly paper from the PIF (see below) and various Christmas cards. In my Kaweco Classic Sport with fine nib, the ink performed flawlessly, with little to no feathering on the notebook paper. Drying times were less than 5 seconds on the copier paper, and under 10 seconds on the FP friendly paper. 

A surprising feature of the ink was the fact that it is water resistant to a degree that I would rate as moderate to high!  I just wasn't expecting that at all, but got tipped off to it after I decanted the both inks from the pipettes they came in and was rinsing them out.  The Fire Diamond Dolomite pipette took many more rinses to clean out than the one the BSIAR came in.

Knowing that Fire Diamond Dolomite is water resistant, another pleasant surprise is how easy it is to start up the pen after 10 hours with the nib upright.  Everyone knows reds can be finicky.  They dry out quickly and tend to make otherwise well-behaved nibs become hard starters, but I have had no hard starting with this one at all.  This morning I pulled the Sport out of the pen cup and the ink flowed just as if I had just filled the pen.  

I am enamored with Fire Diamond Dolomite, and only wish I hadn't put it into a pen with a fine nib.  To really appreciate the color, you need to run it through a pen that lays down more ink --my Kaweco Dia broad would have been a better choice than the Classic Sport F.

You can see the difference in the robustness of the red color between Amberlea's ribbon and my writing with my drier nib.  In my Kaweco fine, the result I got was more of a vermillion red/ orange (a dead ringer for Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki) , and when I wrote more slowly and exerted a little more pressure, I got a red out of it that nearly perfectly matched Diamine Poppy Red (see the samples next to the swabs below).  These three inks would appear to be long lost cousins!

Thanks, Amberlea, for all of the goodies!

fpn_1417639307__2014-12-2_-_ink_review_-

Edited by mknoblauch, 03 December 2014 - 22:11.

#2317 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• Moderators

• 16,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2014 - 23:01

This one is loooooong overdue, about three weeks, to be exact, due to my need to focus during a rather intensive quarter of MBA studies in which I had fallen somewhat behind.  I struggled to balance studies, work and family, the latter usually suffering as I tried to keep on top of the former.  I have actually been simply re-inking the same pens for the last month, and any posting I have done to FPN since the 2nd week of November has been like playing hooky from my life responsibilities.

Now, however, the papers and midterm in Business Law are behind me, and my team has worked our way up to first place in the Business Simulation Game last week.  But delayed gratification only makes getting to the reward even more fun, and yesterday I was finally able to play with the inks and papers I had received as a PIF from Amberlea!  

The PIF was an ideal "Holiday Primer" package, and included 5 sheets of fabulous FP friendly paper that she embellished with a festive red ribbon in the left margin using the ink she also sent, an exclusive mix that Amberlea has baptized as "Fire Diamond Dolomite."  

Ever the generous soul, Amberlea also threw in some Black Swan in Australian Roses (old formula, which I had never tried before last night!) and some folded vellum card stock.

About the Fire Diamond Dolomite.... Wow!  What an Ink!  Amberlea, ditch your legal practice --you need to start bottling this stuff and expand the color line!  It is clearly one of the most well-behaved inks I have ever used.  

I wrote on cheap notebook paper, copier paper, the FP friendly paper from the PIF (see below) and various Christmas cards. In my Kaweco Classic Sport with fine nib, the ink performed flawlessly, with little to no feathering on the notebook paper. Drying times were less than 5 seconds on the copier paper, and under 10 seconds on the FP friendly paper. 

A surprising feature of the ink was the fact that it is water resistant to a degree that I would rate as moderate to high!  I just wasn't expecting that at all, but got tipped off to it after I decanted the both inks from the pipettes they came in and was rinsing them out.  The Fire Diamond Dolomite pipette took many more rinses to clean out than the one the BSIAR came in.

Knowing that Fire Diamond Dolomite is water resistant, another pleasant surprise is how easy it is to start up the pen after 10 hours with the nib upright.  Everyone knows reds can be finicky.  They dry out quickly and tend to make otherwise well-behaved nibs become hard starters, but I have had no hard starting with this one at all.  This morning I pulled the Sport out of the pen cup and the ink flowed just as if I had just filled the pen.  

I am enamored with Fire Diamond Dolomite, and only wish I hadn't put it into a pen with a fine nib.  To really appreciate the color, you need to run it through a pen that lays down more ink --my Kaweco Dia broad would have been a better choice than the Classic Sport F.

You can see the difference in the robustness of the red color between Amberlea's ribbon and my writing with my drier nib.  In my Kaweco fine, the result I got was more of a vermillion red/ orange (a dead ringer for Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki) , and when I wrote more slowly and exerted a little more pressure, I got a red out of it that nearly perfectly matched Diamine Poppy Red (see the samples next to the swabs below).  These three inks would appear to be long lost cousins!

Thanks, Amberlea, for all of the goodies!

fpn_1417639307__2014-12-2_-_ink_review_-

:)  I'm so glad you loved it!  I have 3 pipettes left. I thought it was totally cool.

Borrow a TWSBI?  

Borrow an Estie?

#2318 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• Moderators

• 16,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2014 - 23:02

Now... on to the PIF:

Rules:  If not within the US, you pay actual shipping.  You cannot have already won one of these inks.

Okay, I'm heading home for the night, but when I get back, I hope to see some PMs.

First five people who PM will each receive a sachet of ink.  I'll chose the ink but you can suggest if you really want a particular color.

Same rules, you can't have won one of these inks before.

Three more are still available.

Borrow a TWSBI?  

Borrow an Estie?

#2319 Kuhataparunks

Kuhataparunks

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2014 - 23:41

Mind if I bump in here among the ink discussion?
My PIF this time around is a Pilot Metropolitan with a Fine nib.
Be aware that the cap is slightly loose and will come off at some point if you carry it around(which, I carry all my FPs at some point in time.), the cap will come off. It seals the nib so it won't dry out, but does not click like it's supposed to.
I therefore hope someone can use this only at their desk, kind of like a desk pen; otherwise, like I stated, there is a high likelyhood of staining a shirt or clothing.
Shipping only to Continental US.
PM me with an address and please assure me it will be used. I will choose who gets it after I receive two addresses.

EDIT: unimpressed_llama has claimed this offer. I hope he is now a rather impressed alpaca. :P enjoy!

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Edited by Kuhataparunks, 04 December 2014 - 02:48.

#2320 Anirban4u

Anirban4u

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:35

PM sent for that flexi goodness :)

Opensuse_2.png  gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

#2321 Jbloodwo

Jbloodwo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:43

A hearty congratulatations to all the recent winners of pif's

#2322 KaB

KaB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 17:22

Just receivend my sample of Herbin Stormy Grey today. Thanks so much alc3261!

Couldn't wait to fill up and try it. (Immediately wrote a review as well, but posting will have to wait 'till tomorrow: to dark already for pics)

Thanks again!

#2323 injesticate

injesticate

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 14:47

I wanted to take  a minute to send my delayed thanks to a few people:

Amberlea - the ink has arrived, thanks!  Looking forward to getting a chance to mix and sample in the not too distant future :)

mhguda & londonbooks - the Tomoe River paper arrived an embarrassingly long time ago.  I've not had a chance to use more than a sheet of it yet, but now I see why it is so loved in the community

I'm in the process of taking online courses to finish my degree after a break of nearly 15 years.  I'm approaching the end of the semester and have a final coming up, so I haven't been on here as much as I'd like, but I do plan on offering up a PIF in the next few days (once my order arrives from GPC).  I'll likely not do another til May, when I graduate.  I'm also going to refrain from entering any more PIFs, 'cause I'm feeling a little guilty about the give/take ratio I've got going on.

Happy holidays everyone, whichever you celebrate!

Letter Writers Alliance

#2324 musicman123

musicman123

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:53

Hats of to amberlea! The ink packet arrived yesterday but I haven't got a chance to try it out yet! I can't wait to see how this is going to work. First off, I got to go procure an empty ink bottle. Gotta finish my ink. 

Anyways, I got finals right now, so I don't have much time for a PIF, but I will probably put one up soon. Also, I'm gonna put a review for the ink as soon as I mix and put it in a bottle (which could be a while.  :( )

Thanks a lot!!

Edited by musicman123, 09 December 2014 - 04:54.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."

#2325 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:00

Hey, everyone.  Do y'all remember this PIF?  The one I won here?  TheRealScubaSteve sent a note with that pen, asking me what I thought.

The pen itself is, obviously, ugly.  In its construction, it reminds me of an A&W Sizzle Stix school pen I'd bought while in college, save for not being primarily white with printed Mondrianesque graphics and not having red paint on the nibas the Sizzle Stix did.  I liked that pen a lot, and from time to time wish I still had it.

The nib grind is ugly.  It looks a little uneven to my naked eye; from the top, the right tine has a bit of a curve, and from the bottom, the writing surface of the tip looks triangular, slightly wider on the right than the left.  But I could not ask for a smoother point.  Using 8% Cashmere Red (edit:  another gift from Steve), there is just enough feedback that I can tell when the point is moving across paper, rather than through the air.  This combination of ugly and battered but flawless in function describes every bicycle I've ever owned.  I am absolutely delighted with the pen.

Edited by Arkanabar, 09 December 2014 - 12:00.

In creating laws to control foolish others, you forge fetters to bind and chain yourself.

Arkanabar T'verrick Ilarsadin
blog

#2326 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 13:42

injesticate - thanks for letting us know, I was wondering whatever had happened to all that papery goodness...

And if you do a lot of note taking, you will certainly enjoy this! I use mine mostly with fine nibs so my text is small and I really fill a page - this paper is so nice I hate to waste any.

Enjoy!

a fountain pen is physics in action...

#2327 Thuja

Thuja

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 14:35

My magic ink arrived today, now I just need to find a container and mix it. Thank You Amberlea!

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

#2328 alc3261

alc3261

50 Something Callinebephile!!

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 22:59

Now that we have a PIF Forum, a new thread should be started for each new PIF.  I am leaving this thread open until the end of the year so people can acknowledge PIFs they have received in the last few weeks. Thanks all. :)

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

#2329 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• Moderators

• 16,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 00:08

Bad Amber... sorry!

Borrow a TWSBI?  

Borrow an Estie?

#2330 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 14:04

I received my inks this week from Amberjacks' pif (thanks for the "extra" notebook Jack, It replaces the feeble gummed pad that I've been carrying around).

And from Delphi303s' ink pif, which was an assortment of inks, which are brilliant, the diamine poppy red is really "RED"

Thanks to the unbelievable generosity of the above members, I now find myself in the situation where I have more inks than I have pens..a situation which must be resolved as soon as humanly possible.  :D

The generosity and kindness of the members on this forum astounds me, as I have never come across anything like this before.

This is a community like no other, and I am so glad I found you all.

Fountain pens weren't something I had even thought about before I joined fpn, and now I have a full blown hobby, with new friends thrown in.

BRILLIANT

Thanks again guys

Ian 

#2331 dladuke

dladuke

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 17:43

I received my PIF from Mike.Jane today. Despite the half crushed box all of the contents are in good shape. Included in the box with the TWSBI were a bottle of Pelikan Royal Blue and some postcards from the National Museum of History in Taipei, Taiwan. I'll try to post a picture later this evening.

A big Thank You to Mike.Jane!!

#2332 dladuke

dladuke

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 00:36

2014-12-10 19.27.26.jpg

#2333 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:28

Inksellent! 

Hey, everyone.  Do y'all remember this PIF?  The one I won here?  TheRealScubaSteve sent a note with that pen, asking me what I thought.

The pen itself is, obviously, ugly.  In its construction, it reminds me of an A&W Sizzle Stix school pen I'd bought while in college, save for not being primarily white with printed Mondrianesque graphics and not having red paint on the nibas the Sizzle Stix did.  I liked that pen a lot, and from time to time wish I still had it.

The nib grind is ugly.  It looks a little uneven to my naked eye; from the top, the right tine has a bit of a curve, and from the bottom, the writing surface of the tip looks triangular, slightly wider on the right than the left.  But I could not ask for a smoother point.  Using 8% Cashmere Red (edit:  another gift from Steve), there is just enough feedback that I can tell when the point is moving across paper, rather than through the air.  This combination of ugly and battered but flawless in function describes every bicycle I've ever owned.  I am absolutely delighted with the pen.

I figured out why I kept grinding myself oblique nibs, but was afraid of making it too wide for normal writing if I ground it down again. Did you find a converter to fit or did you use Red C in a cartridge?

I need a pen pal

#2334 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 00:15

Inksellent! 

I figured out why I kept grinding myself oblique nibs, but was afraid of making it too wide for normal writing if I ground it down again. Did you find a converter to fit or did you use Red C in a cartridge?

Refilled a cartridge.  I live in a state where you can buy medical syringes over the counter.

In creating laws to control foolish others, you forge fetters to bind and chain yourself.

Arkanabar T'verrick Ilarsadin
blog