Pay It Forward 2014

zoniguana

Now that that is clear, It would be nice to have a DELETE function for the owner of the post is he/she changes his idea about the post or makes a mistake as I did. When I respond to a specific person I usually QUOTE him so there is no doubt. MAybe I should have added some explanation.

Or i'd like to see a 1 month or permanent option to be able to alter posts as I occasionally make errors on my posts that I don't spot until past 24hrs later. I know some of the premium account members have this option however I don't get why normal accounts aren't at least allowed a week or so to do this.

Edited by The Blue Knight

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• amberleadavis

• KBeezie

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, my God, this is how wars start..

Honestly, that wasn't my intention; and I thought my choice of words was careful enough. I've been away for quite some time, and wasn't quite sure PIF still works the way it did four years ago.

Thanks for clearing this up.

The winner is cambookpro

Thank you! :lol:

Looking forward to it arriving - finally somewhere for my pens to call home... :P

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)

5. Completely unknown pen with converter - GONE
Congrats Faust41
6. Another completely unknown pen with short cartridge - GONE
Congrats Faust41

AJ, Thank you for the PIF pens. After some research, the black one is a Baoer from China. Kind of like a Duke. The other pen is from China as well but I found little on it. Thank you also for the ink samples. I'll send a pic.

I am jumping of Joy,

aj3537.

My PIF arrived today and I prompty used everything. The pens worked form the get-go. They are both lovely in their own different ways. The Atramentis Pinot Meunier Wine is gorgeos!Just what I needed. Seems it is not so common in the stores I visited.

Thanks again. I am thankful I received as I have given. This is indeed a wonderful place!

NOTE: I notice that the photos appear in reverse order of upload. Something to consider!

Edited by Oldtimer

Not sure if my offer fits within the realm of PIF, but I would like to offer to tune cheaper pens free-of-charge for those members who are new to the hobby. I know that when I first started, I often faced simple issues with cheaper pens that weren't valuable enough to send out to a professional, not to mention wait times etc.

If this is out of line with the PIF Mission please by all means let me know and I'll revise my post.

-Art

@arts_nibs

I don't think it is, although to my knowledge it is the first time this has been offered here? although pens that needed some work have been offered...

But I think it's a very generous offer, and only hope that postage will not make it unfeasible... I know that often times when people ask tuning-related questions, I've thought if only I had this pen in my hands I know I could make it work better... but, in my case, postage would make a similar offer unattractive... So, I am glad you are now offering it! And it has the added benefit of not being limited (hopefully!) to one winner only...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I don't think it is, although to my knowledge it is the first time this has been offered here? although pens that needed some work have been offered...

But I think it's a very generous offer, and only hope that postage will not make it unfeasible... I know that often times when people ask tuning-related questions, I've thought if only I had this pen in my hands I know I could make it work better... but, in my case, postage would make a similar offer unattractive... So, I am glad you are now offering it! And it has the added benefit of not being limited (hopefully!) to one winner only...

Great! I am not limiting it to one winner, but I would like to limit the pens I work on. For starters I'll do one per week and see how it works out. As far as the candidates, it seems fair to limit it to members who have only a few (e.g. 5 or less) and don't have the resources (or haven't reached the point in the hobby) to send them out to the pros.

So.... if you've got a cheaper pen that you can't get writing smoothly, or the tines are misaligned, too close, too far apart, or your not exactly sure - send me a PM, I may be able to help. If I come across a pen that needs more involved repair or is beyond my comfort level, I'll simply send it back, and at least we'll have a better idea of what's wrong with it.

*Please note that this is for pens that are in general working condition (e.g. writing but skips, is scratchy), and not ones that need restoration.

For shipping, I'll cover it if it's in the U.S.

-Art

Edited by lahlahlaw

@arts_nibs

I think that's a great PIF! I know I wish I had had access like that when I was just staring out.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

And it will be even greater if lalahlaw also explains what has been done to a pen that's been tuned, so that its owner learns how to do it her/himself... Just an idea...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

And it will be even greater if lalahlaw also explains what has been done to a pen that's been tuned, so that its owner learns how to do it her/himself... Just an idea...

Of course :-)

@arts_nibs

Firs request by PM. Anyone. Restricted to USA.

Edited by Oldtimer

Thanks, man! That looks like a fun pen, I'm going to enjoy playing with the Triumph-ski nib alongside my Shaffer, and seeing how they stack up! :)

I've been curious for a while if it's the material, or the shape that confers such an interesting feel to the writing.

Edited by Komitadjie

I found this community several months ago after becoming fed up with using crappy ballpoint pens on terrible paper. What I found was not only a plethora of knowledge, but one of the friendliest and most generous groups of individuals I had ever encountered. To this day I am still blown away by how consistently great my interactions are with the folks around here. Thanks to this community I have accrued a ton of knowledge, and transformed my writing from chaotic chicken scratch to, dare I say it, quite beautiful writing! (Ok.. maybe only with stubs and flex pens.. but still). Additionally I have had an amazing experience exploring this new hobby, meeting new people and experiencing a wide variety of pens, papers, inks, and overall transforming my writing experience from something that was a chore, to what is now a pleasure and truly a sacred practice. The one downside is I now can't write with crappy ballpoints and treat them as if they are tarnished with the black plague, oh, and the bank account... but we don't need talk about that!

Long story short..

I would like to express my deep gratitude to this community by offering up the following for a PIF, though it be a small gesture compared to what I have received:

A couple notes:

- These are open for folks WORLDWIDE, however while I can offer free shipping to CONUS, for those outside the U.S. I must ask for a $6 shipping fee to help with the shipping costs. So, if you are outside of the U.S., you must decide if it is worth it for you before applying.

- Please only apply for items if you truly have a need for them and know you're really going to use them. I want these to find loving homes, and most importantly to be used, not simply stock piled.

-You can apply for more than one, but can only win one.

- No *brand new* accounts

- Winners will be drawn randomly (individuals assigned to numbers, numbers drawn randomly via random.org)

1. Parker 45 with 18K medium gold nib

http://i.imgur.com/2gOqGM8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Shsvxhi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aRdm16G.jpg

This pen is near and dear to my heart. This was my very first vintage fountain pen, and my first vintage love. It is a lovely little 45, certainly not the belle of the ball (you can see slight warping of plastic at the grip and the ink sac in the vintage squeeze converter has cracks from wear ~ still works great, though, and if you don't want to get any ink on your hands it can easily be replaced with another Parker converter. This 18K nib is the smoothest 45 nib I sampled out of about 5, which is why I kept it. It writes a wet, medium-ish line.

It is not seeing much use and it seems right that I should pass this on to someone else who is budding in their fountain pen exploration.

Stipulations:

- Please only apply if you are relatively new to fountain pens / vintage fountain pens, and have never owned a Parker 45 before.

2. 2 writing packages - (2 winners) - Clairefontaine 6X8 staple-bound notebook (ruled w/margin) & Field Notes shelterwood pocket notebook (3X5, ruled)

http://i.imgur.com/mCYzLEt.jpg

Both have great quality paper. The Clairefontaine has lined paper with a margin, and is soft covered and side bound by staples. The Field Notes is perfect to slip into your pocket on an adventure.

Stipulations:

- Please only apply if you're gonna use 'em and fill 'em up with fountain pen written goodness!

3. Rhodia Webnotebook 5.5 X 8.25 DOT GRID notebook (Pen not included)

http://i.imgur.com/6JDw6q3.jpg

A wonderful notebook/journal with the renowned dot grid Rhodia paper inside. This is the larger of the two sizes, with a high quality hardbound "leatherette" cover.

Stipulations:

- I want this to go to someone who journals regularly, and has need for a new journal with FP-friendly paper, and will fill it up with their thoughts.

4. INK SAMPLES!!! (2 winners)

http://i.imgur.com/CkwwuYV.jpg

Winners will get to choose their choice of 4 ink samples from the following in my collection (or alternatively you can ask me to surprise you):

1. Diamine Midnight

2. Diamine Ancient Copper

3. Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue

4. Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

5. Iroshizuku Shin-Kai

6. Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo

7. Noodler's Black

8. Noodler's Apache Sunset

9. Noodler's Bad Blue Heron

10. Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher

11. Sailor Jentle Blue (not pictured)

I will let this PIF run for approximately 2 WEEKS to maximize exposure, then draw the winners.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I will most likely -not- be able to respond to every PM entry I receive, at least not immediately, but don't worry, you'll be counted.

Thanks FPN! :)

Wow, that went fast. Just a couple more days for folks to get in on this.

I have received a lot of entries, and do know I have been reading all of them and marking down your names. I really appreciate the kind words, and I remain impressed with how many good folks we have here on FPN. I honestly wish I could give something to every person, but alas we will have to leave it up to the gods to decide!

Here's one for those of you who want a pen to tinker with. I'm a little bummed because when I first thought of putting this pen up for PIF a few weeks ago, it was working fine. Luckily, there are enough people on here into restoring that it may still find a good home.

I have a black Esterbrook SJ with a body in excellent condition and a 2556 (extra fine) nib. Until a few days ago, it took up ink and wrote well.

I am no pen doctor, so I'll just give you the symptoms. First I noticed abnormal nib creep with Noodler's 54th Mass. It wrote fine, but it ran out of ink after a few pages. In fact, I was sure it must just be a clog, but after a soak there was no ink coming out still, so I refilled. Again, there was extreme nib creep and I ran out of ink in seemingly no time. I soaked the pen last night, and I left the cap on my table. This morning, my table was covered with 54th Mass that had leaked out of the air hole of the cap. I picked up the cap and it was FULL of ink. I store and rest my pens nib-up, so I'm not sure how that happened, but henceforth I shall call 54th Mass the "gravity-defying" ink. This morning I tried rinsing out the pen sac, but the pen isn't taking up any water and the J-bar doesn't seem to have much, if any, resistance.

When I bought the pen a few months ago, it had been recently restored with a new sac. Maybe it wasn't sealed well, or maybe the seller lied (though I would hate to think that). Who knows.

I will give this pen to the person who writes the best answers to the following questions:

1. What is your tentative diagnosis for this pen?

2. Why do you enjoy restoring pens?

3. What will you do with the pen once you've fixed it up?

I'll announce my decision Thursday night or Friday morning and ship Saturday.

I have received many pens and ink samples from this site over the last 2 years. And I have tried them all. I decided to pass along the pens I don't use to inspire others like me.

I have 6 pens that need new homes. I will include ink samples. I can't afford to ship outside the US.

I will give these to the first person who wants them and you can request 2 pens. I will also give a bag of 10 random 5ml ink samples to the person who asks.

I don't know all the info on the pens but I will try my best.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Right to Left

1. Itoya, unknown nib, takes short cartridge - GONE

Congrats Oldtimer

2. Reform, can't read the nib - GONE

Congrats Azbennett

3. Pirre Paul's, M with converter - GONE

Congrats Oldtimer

4. Hero with converter, unknown nib - GONE

Congrats AaAndrew

5. Completely unknown pen with converter - GONE

Congrats Faust41

6. Another completely unknown pen with short cartridge - GONE

Congrats Faust41

Bag of samples - GONE

Congrats Hutecker and Overlander

(Why do my pictures post upside down?)

aj,

The Baoer pen.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p562/lfaust41/IMG_0935_zps644c845e.jpg

Hi you all,

I just discover the PIF thread now. Seems like real fun and a nice thing to do!

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Here's one for those of you who want a pen to tinker with. I'm a little bummed because when I first thought of putting this pen up for PIF a few weeks ago, it was working fine. Luckily, there are enough people on here into restoring that it may still find a good home.

I have a black Esterbrook SJ with a body in excellent condition and a 2556 (extra fine) nib. Until a few days ago, it took up ink and wrote well.

I am no pen doctor, so I'll just give you the symptoms. First I noticed abnormal nib creep with Noodler's 54th Mass. It wrote fine, but it ran out of ink after a few pages. In fact, I was sure it must just be a clog, but after a soak there was no ink coming out still, so I refilled. Again, there was extreme nib creep and I ran out of ink in seemingly no time. I soaked the pen last night, and I left the cap on my table. This morning, my table was covered with 54th Mass that had leaked out of the air hole of the cap. I picked up the cap and it was FULL of ink. I store and rest my pens nib-up, so I'm not sure how that happened, but henceforth I shall call 54th Mass the "gravity-defying" ink. This morning I tried rinsing out the pen sac, but the pen isn't taking up any water and the J-bar doesn't seem to have much, if any, resistance.

When I bought the pen a few months ago, it had been recently restored with a new sac. Maybe it wasn't sealed well, or maybe the seller lied (though I would hate to think that). Who knows.

I will give this pen to the person who writes the best answers to the following questions:

1. What is your tentative diagnosis for this pen?

2. Why do you enjoy restoring pens?

3. What will you do with the pen once you've fixed it up?

I'll announce my decision Thursday night or Friday morning and ship Saturday.

1). Tentative diagnosis is a leaky sac, or worse the part where the nib meets the body of the pen.

2). I enjoy restoring pens because they're precious and have meant a lot to me since I was a boy. I learned to write with one. If it's any indication of how much I love to tinker with pens, I love Noodler's pens. I have a few pens that I have owned since I was a little, and they ALL work -- with some quirks.

3). I love fountain pens, and I'll probably use it at work or school for awhile until I get it working correctly, then I will pass it on to a kid so that they can fall in love with fountain pens and handwriting just like I did -- it's a dying passion.

Alrighty ~ time's up! Everyone who has PM'd up to this point has been added to the list, do not worry. I assigned a number to each name and used the randomized number generator at random.org to decide the fates.

And the winners are...

drumroll

Parker 45

Zepp

Writing 2 Packs

Penslabyrinth

&

GMYoussef

Rhodia Notebook

mhguda

Ink Samples

jcp1st

&

faust41

Thanks for playing everyone. Will PM the winners.