Pay It Forward 2014

zoniguana

Woot! Woot! Can't wait. First thing I've "won" for quite a while.

This weekend I've got to get my PIF together. It's a matter of getting all of the photos and text together. You'll know what I mean when I put it up.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• amberleadavis

• KBeezie

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I've gotten such lovely things from PIFs, I'll start one of my own.

I have a Duke Green Carbon, purchased from Betram's Inkwell in May. It's a little too heavy/large for my tiny hands, but it's very, very smooth. I'd compare it to a Faber-Castell steel nib. Duke, in this case, is Duke Germany, the house brand of Monteverde; here's some more info on the pen. The nib is one size; probably equivalent to a Western F or M. It's a C/C filler.

http://i.imgur.com/nwa9D7J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/W683QXP.jpg

I will ask the recipient to cover shipping.

To enter, send me a haiku about pens by next Friday, July 4.

One more day.

I haven't posted here in ages -- basically, I have enough pens and inks to last for the rest of my life ;-), so I really shouldn't get any more -- but when tyding up my office last weekend, I found an almost-full pad of air mail paper -- very thin, very light. light blue. Herlitz brand, probably 40ish of originally 50 sheets left. If you have any use for it, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

EDIT: Shipping is €1.45 within Germany, €3.45 to everywhere else.

Bought this pad 20-odd years ago when international postage was still calculated in (rather steep) 5g increments. Now it's one price worldwide, for anything between 50 and 500g...

Edited by MJSchuelke

Well, it's July 1, Canada's birthday, and it's going to be a busy day around here so I've made my draw for the Cross Aventura. Eleven people entered this PIF - a pretty good response, I think. Thank you all for entering; it was nice to "meet" you all via your messages. I wanted to send the pen to all of you. However, that isn't possible.

I'm pleased to be sending it off to PenPalAnna. Anna, if you'll pm me your information, I'll have the pen in the mail to you by this weekend.

Congratulations!

Congratulations Anna!

And MissChief: I figured out what the colour of that pen reminded me of. It was the little music box I had that helped me get to sleep as a little boy. It was a ugly broken old thing that had once been part of a musicbox/nightlight sort of thing. It was some hand me down as our family was rather poor back then and by the time it got to me, nothing more than a cracked blue plastic shell and the wind up musicbox mechanism remained. It was battered and bruised, but it was mine and it comforted me many, many times... I wish I knew what happened to it. It may still be in a box in my attic somewhere...

So, I may not have won the PIF, but I want to thank you for making me remember :)

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

So, I may not have won the PIF, but I want to thank you for making me remember :)

My pleasure, Coop! It's amazing, isn't it, the little things that can bring back memories so strongly?

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

Congrats!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

4 Pen Wrap PIF (slight second - the glue which secures the cord in place is showing through a bit on the inside)

Muted Blue Check Pattern, perhaps more masculine? (but PIF not confined to men!!)

fpn_1403721143__2014-06-25_190822_768x10

PM me with the reasons why you'd like this wrap and your location.

Available Worldwide.

I will draw this at midnight tonight UK time , 7pm EST. So if you're interested PM me!! :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

hi evelyn i havepm'd you regarding your pif.it looks like it isbeing returned to you as i was in hospital when they tried to deliver andcollect customs duty on itsorryyourfirst pif wasn;t a straightforward experience

regards

phillip

And the Duke Green Carbon goes to jcp1st.

Congrats jcp1st! Would you be willing to share your winning haiku?

Thank you so much aj3537. I received the ink samples today and I'm super excited to test them out :-)

Ok, so I didn't get them mailed on Monday as I planned. But I did mail them all out today.

Enjoy.

This evening, a neighbor who I had never met came to my door. It seems he has the same house number on a nearby street and received my package. It was ironic that he is Chinese, and here he was delivering my great little PIF-boxed Hero! (I've got stars in my eyes). And a smattering of ink samples!

Thanks so much! My son and I carefully opened each sample bottle to take a look at the color. He wanted to try Noodlers Firefly. Well, in my excitement, I forgot to check to see if the pen was flushed. It looks like it still had some traces of Noodlers Cayenne in it, and with the Firefly it made a pretty wild orangy color.

We had fun writing with it. It's a very fine nib but quite comfortable to write with. After I get it flushed fully and filled up, I'm going to enter it into my long-distance writing trials. I think it might do well.

Unfortunately, my computer is back with the "Geniuses" at the Apple store, so I can't really post pics. I'm typing this on my iPad. As soon as I can, I'll "prove it happened.".

Thanks again aj3537! I'm glad to finally get my hands on a Hero. It's a fun one, too. I reminds me of when I took Chinese Brush Painting class. "Must be able to paint bamboo before you paint a tiger" and now I have a pen with bamboo painted on it!

Andrew

-Montaigne

Ok, so I didn't get them mailed on Monday as I planned. But I did mail them all out today.

Enjoy.

The samples arrived today and I have been trying them out. I've only had time to try out a few, but so far i am really loving diamine soft mint! I can't wait to try out the rest! Thank you so much.

Wrong place.

If that's in reply to me, why so, and what would be the right place?

4 Pen Wrap PIF (slight second - the glue which secures the cord in place is showing through a bit on the inside)

Muted Blue Check Pattern, perhaps more masculine? (but PIF not confined to men!!)

fpn_1403721143__2014-06-25_190822_768x10

PM me with the reasons why you'd like this wrap and your location.

Available Worldwide.

The winner is cambookpro

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

cambookpro, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I've heard no complaints on her wraps, so when you get it let us know how much you like it.

alc3261, thanks for your part in spreading the love here.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Why would this be the wrong place? We don't have a problem with the PiFfer asking for the recipient to pay postage, do we? There have been several posts here discussing that and I don't think it was frowned upon. Although usually the amounts mentioned are only between the PiFfer and the one who wins the gift...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

If that's in reply to me, why so, and what would be the right place?

Oh, my God, this is how wars start..

My "wrong place" refers to a post I deleted because it was the "wrong place" to post it. Get it?

Now that that is clear, It would be nice to have a DELETE function for the owner of the post is he/she changes his idea about the post or makes a mistake as I did. When I respond to a specific person I usually QUOTE him so there is no doubt. MAybe I should have added some explanation.

Edited by Oldtimer