Pay It Forward 2014

zoniguana

Guest Ray Cornett

Be careful! Esterbrooks may be the most addictive form of fp. Sure, it starts with a J from a PIF, but soon it spreads to LJs and SJs and then Dollar pens and nibs! Don't ask how I know, but if you start looking for Estie "skunks" we all know you have it bad!

Paul

Kidde knows what he is talking about. My first is not really mine but my fiances who inherited once her father passed last year. A tiny little purse pen with a short hand nib that I replaced the sac on and that works like new. But the other day I got a really nice silver/gray SJ which is just a little smaller than the full size ones but feels good in my hand anyway. This one is all mine! They may be basic pens and all but they look nice and write well.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• amberleadavis

• KBeezie

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanted to say thank you to Shaughn. I received the ink samples and have inked one pen. Here is a writing sample...

fpn_1398998982__2014-05-01_223813.jpg

Here are the four vials. With the pen I inked with the Penman Sapphire.

Thanks a lot, Shaughn!

fpn_1398998944__2014-05-01_224142.jpg

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

This...........is absolutely adorable to me. She is only 9 so to me her writing is fine for that age. Give her time.

She has actually asked me for help learning to write in cursive. I suspect it is something we will work on this summer.

This is her second FP, a Parker Reflex our neighbor gave me. When she got her first, a Platinum Preppy, she sat down and wrote a one page story.

Be careful! Esterbrooks may be the most addictive form of fp. Sure, it starts with a J from a PIF, but soon it spreads to LJs and SJs and then Dollar pens and nibs! Don't ask how I know, but if you start looking for Estie "skunks" we all know you have it bad!

Paul

Thanks for the fair warning! I have heard about Esterbrookitis before, and they do say once you start you cannot stop.

Guest Ray Cornett

She has actually asked me for help learning to write in cursive. I suspect it is something we will work on this summer.

This is her second FP, a Parker Reflex our neighbor gave me. When she got her first, a Platinum Preppy, she sat down and wrote a one page story.

There must be a good forum for posting such things.

Kidde knows what he is talking about. My first is not really mine but my fiances who inherited once her father passed last year. A tiny little purse pen with a short hand nib that I replaced the sac on and that works like new. But the other day I got a really nice silver/gray SJ which is just a little smaller than the full size ones but feels good in my hand anyway. This one is all mine! They may be basic pens and all but they look nice and write well.

I think they are fantastic, and the whole nib and section interchangeability is what got me attracted to them in the first place. They were ahead of their time, and it would be great if someone brought the brand and resurrected it like they did Eversharp.

I think they are fantastic, and the whole nib and section interchangeability is what got me attracted to them in the first place. They were ahead of their time, and it would be great if someone brought the brand and resurrected it like they did Eversharp.

Try not to hyperventilate too much, I need you alive to receive the package... :P

Glad you're starting her off right. :D

I still have a fondness for silver Cross pens, because those were the "nice" pens my dad used (and would occasionally let me borrow). I've considered getting a Cross Century II for the nostalgia (as he used a Cross Century ballpoint).

Sorry about the delay in announcing the winner.

The PIF received 18 entries in all. The random number generated is no.2 and the winner is MissChief. I will send you a PM for the address.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Another ebonite pen will be up soon. So please stay tuned.

Having received some beautiful PIFs recently, here's one from me.

Ratnamson model 15: handmade ebonite eyedropper pen. Brand new, never inked.

Who can enter:

Anyone but i prefer it going to someone who doesn't have an ebonite pen and is curious to try the same.

How to enter

Send me a PM about why you want to try out an ebonite eyedropper pen.

The winner will be picked on April 30th. If there is more than one entry, i will use random.org to pic the winner.

fpn_1398207032__ratnamson_15_olive.jpg

I also received the beautiful pen wrap with dragonflies pattern from alc3261.

I made a pen wrap earlier but it wasn't a great success as the wrap tended to warp :wacko: might be the materials i used or i am simply not doing it right.

She sent me detailed instructions on how to do it and not only that, she sent me the samples of the fabric to be used. Using this opportunity to thank her.

Thank you alc3261. Your pen wraps are excellent and your help is much appreciated.

fpn_1399032393__pen_wrap.jpg

fpn_1399032430__pen_wrap1.jpg

Mesu, thank you so much! Such a lovely surprise to wake up to! I'm looking forward to trying it out! :D

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

Thanks to everyone who entered my PIF for my zipped leather Personal Organiser and inserts. I received 14 entries. I selected the winner using Randon.org and I will be notifying them by PM.

I will be putting up a new PIF tomorrow.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Got a PIF here for you Esterbrook users out there.

I have a 2556 nib that I don't use, so I thought I'd do something a little interesting with it. Send me a PM describing what your ideal kind of nib is, or just one that you would like, and I'll do my best to reground this 2556 nib to fit your description, and send it to you.

Things I can't do:

-oblique nibs (though I will try if you really want one)

-extreme broad nibs (the 2556 has only so much tipping)

-super extra fine nibs (no way I could match the smoothness of the stock 9550, 9450, etc.)

This is geared more towards those who want italic/stub nibs, but can't find one, or want very personalized parameters. However, if all you want is a round nib, I can do that too.

I'll choose one person randomly on May 2nd

I'm only willing to pay for shipping within the continental US. Sorry.

Out of the three entries, I assigned a number 1-3 to each and used random.org to generate a number.

The lucky number was 1.

Congratulations to jcp1st!

I'll start working on the nib as soon as possible.

This PIF is a "Tinkerer's" PIF, basically some of these work, but may need some adjustments or tweaks, etc. There's only two that won't write immediately without something done (which I'll cover).

Stipulations

When: I'll draw the winners of this one on May 2nd 11:59PM EST

Who: Anyone really, but you have to be able to cover shipping. I'm in the US so priority wise (flat rate box) to another US resident is usually around $7, but can possibly get it down to around $3.50 for first class, I'm not sure what the rates are internationally, my zip code is 49546, and weight probably would never exceed 12 ounces if you want to do some calculations at USPS.com.

What: With this one, PM me your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice. In the event you don't win your first choice, you have a chance at your 2nd, and then third if you don't win 2nd choice.

Why: Too many pens too soon, and while I could tweak most of them further, I thought it might be more fun for someone to take a stab at it.

fpn_1398673242__maypif.jpg

The winners of the Tinkerer PIF are as listed (and oddly everyone got their first choice...)

hariharan - Jinhao X450 (Green)
BushPig - Stratford Button-Filler
ellenspn - Jinhao x750 (Silver)
mhguda - Red Ero
I'll be contacting each of you to discuss shipping options if you don't get ahold of me first.
The Light Green Hero, Wingsung 233 and Nibless Serwex are up for grabs
to anyone not on the list who contacts me and can provide for shipping. (domestically in the US I can get them shipped in a padded envelope for $3.50 [could try for less, but I like to make sure even freebies are well protected] even easier if you provide an address via paypal so I can print a first class label directly, something for the winners to consider as well).
Edit: The Yiren 3220 from the previous PIF is also up for grabs.
Edited by KBeezie

Howdy,

Congrs to the winners and thank you to the PIF'ers! As I've expressed before, you are all winners.

This is the type of place where even a future FP'er can try a bit of public writing. That is great. And must be encourging to the youngsters of today.

aggie

Edited by mr2txaggie

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

BushPig - Stratford Button-Filler

Sweet Corn! That made my day! Had a really crappy night and that helps make things better.

Thank you so much! I'm going to look around my place and try to find at least something to offer. I'm sure I have something to give away.

Sweet Corn! That made my day! Had a really crappy night and that helps make things better.

Thank you so much! I'm going to look around my place and try to find at least something to offer. I'm sure I have something to give away.

Your first-born? ... no wait, too much work.

:P Follow up on private message so I can probably get yours out with most the other folks tomorrow when I hit up the post office. :P

Thanks KBeezie, and congrats to my fellow tinkerers. We should have some fixing fun... and if anyone is worried about the nibless Serwex, I can send you a nib that fits it. Sort of paying it back... Once you've won the pen, PM me and we'll work it out.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Your first-born? ... no wait, too much work.

:P Follow up on private message so I can probably get yours out with most the other folks tomorrow when I hit up the post office. :P

Being as I don't have a child, you'd be looking at 9 months at least. That's a LOT of work. I don't think my girlfriend would be interested either. Sorry!

Message sent.