• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul80

• Pterodactylus

• vates

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those who would prefer to buy a ready made tool, max has listed here, in stainless steel:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/24488-montblanc-repair-tool-for-modern-146-and-149-pens/

Who in their right mind would pay $90 for such a simple to make tool?

Several reasons. Convenience fee. I imagine the SS tool will be long lasting. My example from a diffrent maker has lasted very well so far. I have also used DIY tools to remove pistons, but not all pistons are in the same state of disrepair, jam or tightness, a sturdy well made, well toleranced tool is a good thing. Like with all things, YMMV.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

that

Hi,

I been very successful taking a part my 146s and 149s using some watch tools or U shape screw drivers.

Tools left to right 1.2mm slotted watch screwdriver, 1.6 mm slotted watch screwdriver, watch pin remover and U shape screw driver

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/1_zps4b832478.jpg

Just place the tool of choice on angle into one of the notches and gently try to twist. It does help to place the pen in to a warm water bath before trying taking it apart. Seal the pen in a zip lock and place the back half of the pen in the water for a few minutes. To help prevent scratches I like to tape up the pen in areas where the tool might slip.

Be gentle when trying twist, especially on the resin parts they will crack. Once the section or piston dislodges, continue to remove the part by hand.

I like to use super lube synthetic grease for the piston. To seal up the section I use kitchen and bath silicone clear. For the section apply a thin layer of silicone at the bottom part of the section’s treading and continue all the way down to the lip of the section. For the piston apply a thin layer of silicone over the piston’s tread. Before attaching the section or the piston back to body make sure to use a q tip to clean grease out of the treads of the body or you will have leaks. Remember when closing up gently tighten, the silicone does a good job sealing up. Scrape the excess silicone with a business card and wipe any remaining residue. Allow two days for the silicone to dry before inking up.

The next time I take apart a 146 or 149 I will post the photos with better instructions.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/2_zpsf35e45a0.jpghttp://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/6_zps6b25c5d5.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/3_zps20bd7fe6.jpghttp://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/4_zps575a8ac4.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/5_zps36198eeb.jpghttp://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/208d7741-cafa-4501-8bf7-60ea51bd7e10_zps81af23ca.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/0c696395-f940-4b55-866c-bc4bd5f2c1f5_zpsf67a3a61.jpg

that stub is beautiful, is that a bespoke nib?

Several reasons. Convenience fee. I imagine the SS tool will be long lasting. My example from a diffrent maker has lasted very well so far. I have also used DIY tools to remove pistons, but not all pistons are in the same state of disrepair, jam or tightness, a sturdy well made, well toleranced tool is a good thing. Like with all things, YMMV.

AFAHMAEP ;) Edited by Paul80

The chair person of a Japanese fountain pen association, WAGNER, made a hundred of piston removers for Montblanc and Aurora (two side) for its members. HIs blog put the image of the remover. Here's how it works.

You might have known this, but just in case not. TWSBI Diamond 540 comes with a piston remover. It could be used for Pelikan M800s and M1000s, I just bought this pen for getting this tool.

Thanks for showing, but personally I'm not convinced of this method, as you apply force only to one of the 2 slots and IMO the tool position and type of tool is not suitable to apply constant rotation force to the winding, additionally shear force will also applied to the material itself , which may lead to a severe damage of the pen (cracks).

You also slip off easily which also may damage the pen.

That one looks just like the £12 one I bought from a seller in Japan but that was Montblanc at one end and Pelikan/TWSBI at the other end.

I wonder if it was the same bloke.

Paul

That one looks just like the £12 one I bought from a seller in Japan but that was Montblanc at one end and Pelikan/TWSBI at the other end.

I wonder if it was the same bloke.

Paul

Paul, could you please PM the nickname of the said seller @eBay. Thank you!

Gottes Mühlen mahlen langsam, mahlen aber trefflich fein

By guess is: A.F.A.H.M.I.E.P = A fool and his money is easily parted.....

Ah. :) While that is true. It is also seen that "a fool with the bad/wrong tool and his pen are easily parted".

One can also ask "why would someone is his right mind spend xyz dollars on the correct wrench for his car engine when i have this universal vicegrip!" or one can ask why does one need an expensive lathe to make pens when I can use my drill machine to turn the job.

A well made tool has its place. This realization might come after a while or even never.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Ah. :) While that is true. It is also seen that "a fool with the bad/wrong tool and his pen are easily parted".

One can also ask "why would someone is his right mind spend xyz dollars on the correct wrench for his car engine when i have this universal vicegrip!" or one can ask why does one need an expensive lathe to make pens when I can use my drill machine to turn the job.

A well made tool has its place. This realization might come after a while or even never.

That's also very true, I guess a lot of pens were destroyed trying to repair or maintain them.

A good tool has always it's place, without good tools you can't get good results.

But a fool with a tool is still a fool. ;)

By guess is: A.F.A.H.M.I.E.P = A fool and his money is easily parted.....

Go to the top of the class, ;)

That's also very true, I guess a lot of pens were destroyed trying to repair or maintain them.

A good tool has always it's place, without good tools you can't get good results.

But a fool with a tool is still a fool. ;)

yeah, then we get subjected to a "fool blaming the tool" thread.

The chair person of a Japanese fountain pen association, WAGNER, made a hundred of piston removers for Montblanc and Aurora (two side) for its members. HIs blog put the image of the remover. Here's how it works.

Does anyone have one of these they can measure for me? Mostly what I need are the measurements for the Montblanc side like how far apart the forks are and how thick they are etc...

I could have my grandfather stamp me out one or multiple of these. He is a tool and die maker.

Here is what I just came up with.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/novarider73/20140108_190523_zpsqcyiavli.jpg