#31 Rita_K

Rita_K

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:56

So happy to have FPN back.

Thank you Wim and all those who made it possible.

Happy New Year to all.

#32 F104

F104

Lockheed Starfighter, fine point, loaded with JP-4

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:06

The Great Hiatus has ended at last!

I feel an overwhelming desire to sing the "Yub Nub" song...

#33 dunhamsa

dunhamsa

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:17

Things are working well, and quickly. Thanks for the hard work.

#34 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:49

I'm very glad FPN is back. Thank you all for the hard work.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and hope you have a very happy New Year!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#35 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 986 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:51

Life is good once more!

Posted Image

#36 pen4hobby

pen4hobby

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:55

Thank you and Happy New Year!!!

#37 85AKbN

85AKbN

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:58

gear wheel advanced search is not working...

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'No itemMarking class available for links' in /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/itemmarking/classItemMarking.php:1177 Stack trace: #0 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/itemmarking/classItemMarking.php(804): classItemMarking->_fetchModule('links') #1 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/applications_addon/other/links/sources/classes/library/categories.php(406): classItemMarking->fetchTimeLastMarked(Array, 'links') #2 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/applications_addon/other/links/sources/classes/library/categories.php(462): linksCategories->parseCategory(Array) #3 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/applications_addon/other/links/sources/classes/library/categories.php(226): linksCategories->_getViewableCategories('root', Array) #4 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/applications_addon/other/links/extensions/search/form.php(58): linksCategories->getCategoriesList('root', Array, '') #5 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/f in /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/itemmarking/classItemMarking.php on line 1177

#38 Kathleen48

Kathleen48

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 17:22

Thanks to all for the hard work.  I do a lot of digital configuring and I know how much work this is.  And considering that I am a new member, I missed this place.  Thanks for being here.

Kathleen

#39 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 17:29

Welcome back - and thank you!  :)

#40 Inkwellpens

Inkwellpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 17:56

Great that you are back up and running. Didn't realise how much time I spent on here.
www.thepenandinkwell.com @ inkwellpens

#41 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 18:20

Team:

Once again, thanks for the heroic effort. It never comes at a convenient time for you folks, does it?

ron

#42 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:24

gear wheel advanced search is not working...

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'No itemMarking class available for links' in /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/itemmarking/classItemMarking.php:1177 Stack trace: #0 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/itemmarking/classItemMarking.php(804): classItemMarking->_fetchModule('links') #1 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/applications_addon/other/links/sources/classes/library/categories.php(406): classItemMarking->fetchTimeLastMarked(Array, 'links') #2 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/applications_addon/other/links/sources/classes/library/categories.php(462): linksCategories->parseCategory(Array) #3 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/applications_addon/other/links/sources/classes/library/categories.php(226): linksCategories->_getViewableCategories('root', Array) #4 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/applications_addon/other/links/extensions/search/form.php(58): linksCategories->getCategoriesList('root', Array, '') #5 /home/fpnadmin/public_html/f in /home/fpnadmin/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/itemmarking/classItemMarking.php on line 1177

Thank you for reporting this. 

I will check this out. From the looks of it (I tried it too, same result) this error may have been caused by the forum software upgrade we did (had to do). In the mean time, you should be able to use the FPN Google search.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#43 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:32

Team:

Once again, thanks for the heroic effort. It never comes at a convenient time for you folks, does it?

ron

:)

Of course it doesn't ;). Always in a weekend, or in a period which is inconvenient otherwise, and you can be sure there is other stuff that requires a lot of time too. Like trying to troubleshoot my desktop PC, and internet connection. It now looks like one of my hard disks failed, and took other stuff with it :). The effect, from a few month ago already? The editor here only partially worked for me.... The last few weeks I could only type in courier font, no formatting, no preview, no full editor, and general hangs.

And only an hour ago I proved it was the hard disk, after replacing the entire chain of stuff from cable modem to router, switches, cabling and NIC first over the past few months ;). really weird.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#44 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:33

Does the forum update mean you have to redo the themes again also?

Missing that!!!

And I had the glitch in the search too.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#45 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:43

Dearest Members and Visitors of our Little Fountain Pen Nut House on the Digital Prairie,

As it says in the title, we are back and here to stay.

Apologies for the unplanned downtime. Unfortunately, we had no other option with the restrictions imposed on our old server and its resource problems, and making sure everything we did was done in a secure way.

We are now on a server with tons of capacity, significantly faster and better equipped, and also easily scalable for a change if the need arises, funds permitting. BTW, all this at the same cost as the old server.

We would like to thank you all for your support received backchannel. It was most appreciated during the long hours we made to get the new server up and running as quickly as humanly possible. My thanks particularly go to our own Salman, who spent several days and nights setting up some very nifty and advanced security measures and generally assisting with other stuff. Without him, this would have taken quite a bit longer, and that is an understatement. I can't thank him enough.

We are back right in time to celebrate the New Year with all of you, and what a wonderful way to start the New Year for FPN too! Things can only improve from here onwards, with all signs auspicious too, with interesting new developments coming our way too ;).

Let's all relax, sit back, partake in and enjoy this wonderful community, which we all built together. 

Finally, slightly belated, but hoping you all had a great time, with more to come:

attachicon.gifkaart_fpn.jpg

Thank you all, and may 2014 be your best year yet!

Warmest regards, Wim
On behalf of the entire Moderator and Admin Team 

Same to you! I'm glad FPN is back, and we appreciate all the work you did.

I have a possibly dumb question (as someone who JUST got a domain and a forum two days ago, only to wake up to find it down today): if you changed servers, how is it the forum looks just the same and all the info was saved?

#46 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 20:27

Same to you! I'm glad FPN is back, and we appreciate all the work you did.

I have a possibly dumb question (as someone who JUST got a domain and a forum two days ago, only to wake up to find it down today): if you changed servers, how is it the forum looks just the same and all the info was saved?

That is not a dumb question, in my book there isn't a dumb question, just an answer may be a dumb answer :).

Essentially I have been making backups of the site for years now, 3 types: 

1. zipped, tarballed, or whatever it is called. 

2. as #1 doesn't always unzip properly, I also have a file backup, and this year, since I got a local NAS, I have been using rsync to synchronize my file backup and the files on site (before that I used an ftp program like FileZilla to do so, but that takes forever with a large site like ours (used to take a week copying it that way from the old server; rsync takes hours rather tha days, except maybe the first time)

3. database dumps of our database - those can be imported back into the database again, or into a new database

I addition I keep copies of configuration files and a bunch of other things.

Any stuff I have been doing I have learnt to do over the years, as I am far from even a Linux newbie in my own view, but fortunately I am so lucky to run into people like Salman to help out and explain, especially with the tricky stuff like setting up security.

Anyway, I have learnt what to do in case of an emergency to restore a site like FPN to the exact state of all I have backed up, and even to restore it to a different site and still make it look the same. That is a bit more work, but all the research has been done, and I also practice it, as our test site (we do have one), holds a copy of the entire FPN site, which I refresh every so often for testing possible new add-ons and other things.

The site being down is one thing, but it being down doesn't necessarily mean all stored on it has disappeared, unless the entire site was wiped out. FPN was down for a week, deliberately, in order to make it impossible for all but sysadmins to access the site while setting up security and configuring the new server, but all data and files were there all the time, on the old site and in the backups, and then on the new site too. Once the new site was up and running, we deleted everything from the old server, stopped it and terminated it, so now that has gone lost - but that was intentional.

If you do need some assistance, just contact me backchannel.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#47 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• 2,093 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 20:31

Lovely!

Thank you so very much for getting it up and running again. I surely do appreciate all your work! 

Greetings,
Michael

#48 Inkheart

Inkheart

Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 20:49

Lovely to be back! Thanks so much for all your efforts, and it's great to know we're likely here to stay. :)
~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#49 moylek

moylek

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 20:52

A million thanks and a very happy new year to all who helped get this puppy back on its feet.

---
Kenneth Moyle
Hamilton, Ontario

#50 Pelikan_FP

Pelikan_FP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 22:08

Thanks to all the admin team doing the hard work.  You are most awesome.  Happy New Year to All!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#51 RPB

RPB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 22:09

I never normally post on topics like this but for once I am going to! I don't understand the work you folk have put in to get this sorted but until the forum went offline, I had not realised how often I actually visit it, read it and more importantly enjoy it and respect the comments on here.

So from me, just thank you! I appreciate it :)

May all your FP dreams come true in 2014 ;)

#52 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 23:34

Thanks for all the hard work and have a great New Year!
This post contains 100% recycled electrons
Posted Image

#53 Jenks

Jenks

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 23:46

As someone new I was shocked at how much I missed it not being there to answer my questions! As others have said I can't thank the entire team enough for spending time away from family and friends during the holidays to get it back up and running.

Happy New Year and thanks again!! :)

#54 Dr_P

Dr_P

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 00:11

It's great to have FPN back. Thank you guys for all your efforts during these times, and for working hard to update this beautiful site.

Have a great 2014!

Claudio

#55 Zoe

Zoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 00:15

Glad to see FPn up and running.

Happy New Year!

#56 Patos

Patos

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 00:52

Thankyou,I'm only new here but was really enjoying it before the outage
"Worse things happen at sea"

#57 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 00:57

The site is definitely snappier.  Thanks for the hard work Wim.

PELIKAN 100N, M101N Brown Tortoise, M101N Lizard, 120 (I), 120 (II), 130 Ibis, 140, 140, 140, M75, M75, M100, M100, M100, M100, M100, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M215, M215, M215, M215, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M481, M481, 400, 400NN, 400NN, M400, M400, M400, M405, M405, M425, M600, M600, M640, M800, M800

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - Where the flock comes to roost

#58 KenD

KenD

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:13

So nice to see FPN back up! 

Wishing everyone all the best for 2014.

KenD

#59 shadow91

shadow91

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:30

Fantastic!

Short Story Blog(using fountain pens of course!)- http://shortstorysur...l.blogspot.com/

#60 TMac

TMac

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:37

Wimg, thanks for all of the hard work to get the forum back up and running. Happy New Year!