The Asapens " Kuyil" Made By Gem And Co. Madras, India

hari317

Chennai is the capital of the state of TamilNadu in south India. Chennai has its share of traditional fountain pen shops. The most prominent among these is a famous shop called Gem and Co, which has been serving the needs of pen users for more than 80 years now. They are an exclusive writing instruments and ink shop. They have a house brand and it is called Gama. A variety of models under the Gama brand exist, most of which I have documented on the FPN.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/70913-madras-pen-shops/

Google Cache of above.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/70903-gama-pens/

Google cache of above

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/254169-the-gama-supreme/

Google Cache of above.

I take this chance to document their new model called the Kuyil. Kuyil is the Tamil term for the Indian cuckoo bird. You will see shortly why Gem named the pen so.

The pen is made out of matte black black hard rubber (ebonite) and is an ED filled pen.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GAMA/IMG_9383.jpg

Kuyil compared to the famous ebonite Advocate pen made by the Deccan pen stores in Hyderabad(another famous pen store chain in the capital city of Hyderabad in the state of Andhra Pradesh in India).

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GAMA/IMG_9384.jpg

You can read more about the Advocate here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/54946-the-advocate/

Cached

Opened, the differences are plainly visible:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GAMA/IMG_9385.jpg

The Kuyil is a traditional ED filled pen.

The pen purchased by me came fitted with an IPG nib of acceptable quality. I am personally very happy with the impeccable fit and finish of the Kuyil, the cap threads on very smoothly, The threads have flat tops thus the threads feel very smooth in hand, the well made inner cap stops the cap closed very firmly, the clip is good too. The pen writes an acceptable line.

Here are the measurements of my example, I think there might be some piece to piece variation being fully hand made, I just have one example to measure.

capped: 150mm

open(nib tip to barrel's end):137mm

section length:18mm

section diameter:12mm to 14mm taper

posted:172mm

cap diameter:17mm

barrel diameter at the widest point:16mm

3 1/2 turns to uncap the pen. :)

The cost is quite less as compared to the prices by Deccan for a similar quality. Deccan pioneered the brushed BHR Indian pen, but Gem have done a very superb subtle job with the pen.

The pens were manufactured by Gem and Co. on the concept, design and close supervision provided by my pen purveyor in Chennai called ASAPENs. I could buy the pens directly from Gem through one of my several relatives in Chennai but I have been very impressed by the service provided by ASA so far. I have bought from them in the past and will continue to buy based on past experience. NAYY.

I believe now ASA, in response to inquiries, also cater to foreign buyers.

Usually when I review my Indian pens, I have no answer to how someone could buy them outside of India other than perhaps buy and resell them myself. Now I am glad that someone has taken up the effort to make the stuff available easily to the global audience.

Here is their website in case anyone wants to check it out:

http://asapens.in/eshop/index.php?route=common/home

http://asapens.in/eshop/gama-custom-made-matte-black-fountain-pen-chennai

Cheers!

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• parnesh

• a_m

• Aramchek

Looks good Hari. Is fit and finish comparable to Gama? If it is, then this can be a winner! Thanks fro sharing.

A

Thanks Abhik. Yes, the fit and finish is very very good IMHO.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hari

Thanks for the review and for the link to their storefront.

A question re: the Kuyil--

You mention trading out the nib, but how robust is the feed?

I've had some leaking problems with Indian eyedroppers (I've been told I have warmer-than-average hands). Following a suggestion you made some time ago, I've replaced a couple original feeds on these with ones taken from Sheaffer NoNonesense pens, which has helped the leaking problem. Do you know if the NN feed fits the Kuyil?

Hari

Thanks for the review and for the link to their storefront.

A question re: the Kuyil--

You mention trading out the nib, but how robust is the feed?

I've had some leaking problems with Indian eyedroppers (I've been told I have warmer-than-average hands). Following a suggestion you made some time ago, I've replaced a couple original feeds on these with ones taken from Sheaffer NoNonesense pens, which has helped the leaking problem. Do you know if the NN feed fits the Kuyil?

Hi, nice to hear from you! I have not swapped the feed, but yes the Kuyil should be able to take the Sheaffer NN feed just fine since the feed diameter used on the Kuyil is of the same diameter as the NN.

HTH.

Hari

Very nice pen. Is it available only in black? Kuyil name is due to the black colour?

I am tempted to buy one

I think yes. Kuyil is the Tamil word for the male species of the Indian cuckoo and yes it is invariably black. :)

Just ordered mine :-)

Also bought a four pack Oliver exam, even though I didn't like the only Oliver I've bought so far, a Chelpark Sona, and a Fellowship Supreme. Considering how nice the two Fellowship pens I bought that where not named supreme where, this one should be even better! Surely the people in marketing who named it wouldn't just make stuff up, would they? :P

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I, too ordered mine - after holding out all the days that FPN was down... Part of the attraction is the free worldwide shipping, a very nice touch for those of us in "out of the way" places...

The Oliver Exam is a very nice pen. I got a complimentary one from fellow FPNer Mesu when I bought a nice number of pens; and I am using it on a regular basis.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Just ordered mine :-)

Also bought a four pack Oliver exam, even though I didn't like the only Oliver I've bought so far, a Chelpark Sona, and a Fellowship Supreme. Considering how nice the two Fellowship pens I bought that where not named supreme where, this one should be even better! Surely the people in marketing who named it wouldn't just make stuff up, would they? :P

excellent! I have a Oliver F27 (I think) That is a nice acrylic CNC turned pen with a modern Schmidt nib unit.

I, too ordered mine - after holding out all the days that FPN was down... Part of the attraction is the free worldwide shipping, a very nice touch for those of us in "out of the way" places...

The Oliver Exam is a very nice pen. ...

Good. :)

The F27 is also available on the website. I had a look at it but wasn't that keen on the look, the Schmidt nib makes it less a genuine Indian product, and worst of all, it has an M nib. There was also a third Oliver pen, the "Nirvana" but I just didn't like the way it looked.

I'm hoping they'll make the Oliver Cobra available at some point.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

The F27 is also available on the website. I had a look at it but wasn't that keen on the look, the Schmidt nib makes it less a genuine Indian product, and worst of all, it has an M nib. There was also a third Oliver pen, the "Nirvana" but I just didn't like the way it looked.

I'm hoping they'll make the Oliver Cobra available at some point.

I confess my ignorance of most of the Oliver and the Fellowship lineup. :)

I think the F27 commendably addresses the common complaints against Indian pens namely

Being Dropper filled only(or even worse, IMO, using a filler harvested from a Hero/Wingsung)

Inadequate feeders for the varied environmental conditions in foreign countries

Inadequate quality of nibs on the cheaper pens.

I hope ASA is listening to your demands.

enjoy the Indian pen journey!

Aha! Thank you! She doesn't seem to have any for sale at the moment, but I'll send her a PM and ask. Hopefully she won't answer until tomorrow, so I don't end up breaking my promise to myself to not buy any more pens this year yet again!

Not that interested in any of the others she has for sale right now. I've given up on Guider, The Airmail is in ivory which I have a thing for but I can't stand the dome on the cap, and while Kim is a company I've been interested in for some time there is... something about those she has for sale now that bothers me.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

• 2 months later...

Hari yet another great review. Just as I was about to hit the buy button at Asapens for a shiny Gamma Hawk I find this. Now I'm locked in the paralysis of analysis. My heart says shiny Hawk with your recommended Deccan 35mm nib. Please nudge me either way. I'm up here in England sat on the fence looking at two very classy pens.

I might be old, but at least I got to see all the best Bands.

It's good that they listened and learned that opening an account before you can see the prices is NOT the best way to operate.

Glad they made the changes. I'll probably be buying some things very soon.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Just as I was about to hit the buy button at Asapens for a shiny Gamma Hawk I find this. Now I'm locked in the paralysis of analysis. My heart says shiny Hawk with your recommended Deccan 35mm nib. Please nudge me either way. I'm up here in England sat on the fence looking at two very classy pens.

I have fitted my shiny gama hawk with a wality Medium dual tone nib. And i am loving it.

You can ask ASA to fit the FP with nib of your choice.

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)