What Did I Just Buy? Tuckaway?

justchilin

Hey again,

I come here, once again to get schooled by the pros that make this forum great! Just got my offer accepted on the 'bay on this pen. The nib caught my eye because its like the one on my desk sheaffer, and I really like how smooth it writes, but cant, obviously, carry it with me. Secondly, the clip is an interesting one. I dont have a pen, old or new that has one this short. Anyways, Id like to know more about this pen before it arrives. How can I date it? What is the filling mechanism like? Thank you ahead of time!

(Images courtesy of the seller)

post-109231-0-96971400-1387694053_thumb.jpg

post-109231-0-29565200-1387694097_thumb.jpg

Wherever you go.... there you are....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• justchilin

• gmberg

• JonSzanto

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, it's a Tuckaway, a variation of the Sentinel (though there is a tiny bit of change in the cap design - I wonder if it might be a Canadian Sheaffer - tell us what it say on the barrel for manufacture). Dating depends on the filling system, which I can't tell from the closed pen. If when you pull out the filler knob (after unscrewing it) and it is a narrow metal rod, that is the earlier vac-fill, made from 1942-3 til the late 40's; if a fat chromed tube, that is the Touchdown filler, started around the last year or so of production (1949).

For much of this kind of information, Richard Binder's site is a good first place to go. Here is the page on Tuckaways. These can be great writing pens, though they don't hold a lot of ink and can be a bit short in the hand; that said, the Triumph nib is one of the best nibs Sheaffer ever produced. Have fun with it.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Yep, it's a Tuckaway, a variation of the Sentinel (though there is a tiny bit of change in the cap design - I wonder if it might be a Canadian Sheaffer - tell us what it say on the barrel for manufacture). Dating depends on the filling system, which I can't tell from the closed pen. If when you pull out the filler knob (after unscrewing it) and it is a narrow metal rod, that is the earlier vac-fill, made from 1942-3 til the late 40's; if a fat chromed tube, that is the Touchdown filler, started around the last year or so of production (1949).

For much of this kind of information, Richard Binder's site is a good first place to go. Here is the page on Tuckaways. These can be great writing pens, though they don't hold a lot of ink and can be a bit short in the hand; that said, the Triumph nib is one of the best nibs Sheaffer ever produced. Have fun with it.

Very interesting, thank you for the link, what a lucky guy to have that collection! Took a look at the picture of the barrel, its dark but looks like it says Made is U.S.A. Im just going to have to wait until it arrives to look at the filling system but thank you for letting me know that it is a Tuckaway. I paid $20 plus shipping, not bad, I dont think, but to me it was a gamble since who knows what its going to be like when it gets here. I did just sell something on the bay for $20, soooo it was like it was meant to be! :) The Triumph nib is pretty amazing, I really like the desk pen I have now because of it. Hope this one ends up as nice. Thanks again!

Tucky!

I love these little Tuckies (Tuckaways for those who dislike the nickname). Brian Gray (Edison Pens) transplanted one of my Tucky's nib and section to an Edison Morgan eye-dropper, and it is one of my favorite Favorite pens. The vintage Sheaffer nibs are super!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

It's a Tuckaway CREST. A Sentinel would have a gold ring around the cap's lip like the third pen from the left in JAR's pic above. A Crest cap, on the other hand, is all g-f.

Second from the left:

Oh wow! Very nice collection there and how Beautiful that Crest looks! Hope mine ends up that way one day!

It's a Tuckaway CREST. A Sentinel would have a gold ring around the cap's lip like the third pen from the left in JAR's pic above. A Crest cap, on the other hand, is all g-f.

Thank you, glad it got ID'd. So mine should have a GF cap, then? What kind of filling mechanism does the Crest have, out of curiosity?

Tucky!

I love these little Tuckies (Tuckaways for those who dislike the nickname). Brian Gray (Edison Pens) transplanted one of my Tucky's nib and section to an Edison Morgan eye-dropper, and it is one of my favorite Favorite pens. The vintage Sheaffer nibs are super!

Tuckies! Hmm... I wonder what the pen would think of that name... lol :) Yes, so far, that nib is my favorite, cant wait to get this pen!

Oh wow! Very nice collection there and how Beautiful that Crest looks! Hope mine ends up that way one day!

Thank you, glad it got ID'd. So mine should have a GF cap, then? What kind of filling mechanism does the Crest have, out of curiosity?

There were three filling systems IIRC, the lever and the plunger and right at the end of the series maybe a few touchdown fillers.

My Website

The Crest cap is gold-filled.

Edited by gmberg

• 2 weeks later...

GLad we are back in business here! Sooo, my tuckaway is a beauty, love how it writes and feels in the hand.... BUT, mine is leaking! It leaves me ink on my nail area on the finger that rests on the section/nib part as Im writing. There is a split on the back of the nib, that I came to the conclusion that is not supposed to be there. I looked at it under a loupe and it does look a bit like a very clean crack/split. The ink slowly seeps out through there when my finger touches it but mostly between the area where the nib and section meet. Anyone know if there is a fix to this, aside from replacing the nib? Otherwise, this pen is pretty awesome. I really like this pen , but my finger is starting to look like I slammed it between a door..lol! Thanks!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/11614158696_b9dc260b3d.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/11676836524_2fe7869583_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5512/11613386125_07375e0ff6_c.jpg

Edited by justchilin

Okay.

Early Triumph nibs were rolled and welded and it's possible that the weld has split. One of the Sheaffer Vintage repair folk can likely help you. See the names in the Authorized Repair thread.

Hey, thanks for the link. Ill contact one of them, hopefully they can do a repair on it.

GLad we are back in business here! Sooo, my tuckaway is a beauty, love how it writes and feels in the hand.... BUT, mine is leaking! It leaves me ink on my nail area on the finger that rests on the section/nib part as Im writing. There is a split on the back of the nib, that I came to the conclusion that is not supposed to be there. I looked at it under a loupe and it does look a bit like a very clean crack/split. The ink slowly seeps out through there when my finger touches it but mostly between the area where the nib and section meet. Anyone know if there is a fix to this, aside from replacing the nib? Otherwise, this pen is pretty awesome. I really like this pen , but my finger is starting to look like I slammed it between a door..lol! Thanks!

You've got a cracked nib. Fixing that will cost far more than it's worth. Your best option is to secure a replacement nib assembly (nib, feed, collar).

Thanks, Gerry. I should never rush when making these little missives...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

You've got a cracked nib. Fixing that will cost far more than it's worth. Your best option is to secure a replacement nib assembly (nib, feed, collar).

Do you know if this nib is a screw on or is it attached to the collar? Ive seen nibs on their own for sale but havent seen any like this as a complete assembly for sale. Thanks

Do you know if this nib is a screw on or is it attached to the collar? Ive seen nibs on their own for sale but havent seen any like this as a complete assembly for sale. Thanks

The only way you can tell if the nib is threaded is to take it off the collar. Threaded and non-threaded nibs look alike from the outside.

You can remove the nib by prying open the crack slightly and lifting it off. Soaking the nib assembly for a couple of days in ammonia might make that process a little easier.

great little pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

took the nib off, it just pulled off, not screw on type. Its toast! Bad crack on the back. Danny Fudge from thewritepen offered to change out the nib for me. Thinking about sending it, not sure. In the meanwhile, picked up this other Tucky on the 'bay! Oh man, Im deep into this obsession....

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SHEAFFER-LIFETIME-14-KT-GOLD-NIB-WHITE-DOT-FOUNTAIN-PEN-299T-1-fr-/00/s/MjIyWDUyNQ==/z/XK8AAMXQVERSxijC/$_3.JPG?rt=nc

Is it safe to say this is an early 40's Tucky?

took the nib off, it just pulled off, not screw on type. Its toast! Bad crack on the back. Danny Fudge from thewritepen offered to change out the nib for me. Thinking about sending it, not sure. In the meanwhile, picked up this other Tucky on the 'bay! Oh man, Im deep into this obsession....

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SHEAFFER-LIFETIME-14-KT-GOLD-NIB-WHITE-DOT-FOUNTAIN-PEN-299T-1-fr-/00/s/MjIyWDUyNQ==/z/XK8AAMXQVERSxijC/$_3.JPG?rt=nc

Is it safe to say this is an early 40's Tucky?

Changing out the nib should not be a problem. I'd date it c.1945-47.