New 17 Year Old Fountain Pen Lover

Jdp2496

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

Is the 1.1 suitable for everyday writing?

John

Depends on WHAT you will be writing.

For me, a 1.1 italic is NOT an everyday nib, that would be a Lamy XF or F nib depending on what I am writing.

Definitely NOT for taking notes in school or similar situation. The 1.1 would take up too much space on the paper when I am trying to write as much as I can onto the paper.

The 1.1 is for special uses when I want the effect of the italic nib.

However, there are others who use an italic nib for everyday use.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jdp2496

• Sailor Kenshin

• Scribblesoften

• idazle

Thank you ac12. I have a 1.5mm, and it requires a very large handwriting. I don't think .4mm would do much of a difference, would it? So I guess the 1.1 is more of a fun nib than a practical nib. I appreciate the feedback. I do like my F nib Lamy, and I really enjoyed my EF Safari before it was stolen.

Is there much of a difference between a 1.5 and a 1.1?

Happy New Year! :)

Thank you ac12. I have a 1.5mm, and it requires a very large handwriting. I don't think .4mm would do much of a difference, would it? So I guess the 1.1 is more of a fun nib than a practical nib. I appreciate the feedback. I do like my F nib Lamy, and I really enjoyed my EF Safari before it was stolen.

Big difference. I feared the 1.5! But I offen use the 1.1 for everyday writing. It merely gives my shaky letter forms a little flair, without being as tricky to operate as a flex pen.

However... recently I bought a 1.5 for use with light, shading inks. I have to size up my writing a little, but it still works.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

There is, really! With a 1.1 nib you can almost do everyday writing I think.

See below my Season's Greeting written with a 1.5 Lamy Joy (Parker Penman Sapphire), a 1.1 Rotring (Herbin's Hematite Red) and a nº94 italic nib on a Parker 75 (Sailor's Epinard Green).

fpn_1388669246__eguberri_2013-2red.jpg

Happy New Year to you too.

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

Thank you Sailor Kenshin, idazle, and MisterBoll!

Sailor: I, too, enjoy the italic nib, because it give my writing a flair and makes it look neater. However, as you said, it does require some fairly large writing, so a 1.1 might be more ideal everyday.

idazle: Thank you for the greetings! I hope your 2014 is also sensational. I can see the difference between the two a lot better now. It does seem like I could use the 1.1 for every day, but it would require quite a bit of space. By the way, Parker Penman Sapphire is an amazing color! What would be the closest color like it that's still being produced? Also, how much does a nº94 italic nib run? Thank you!

MisterBoll: I'll still keep the 1.1 in mind, it seems like a very nice size of nib. Would an OBB be an oblique broad nib? What is the difference?

I really like the 1.1, but I think until I get a few more practical nibs for notes, I won't be getting one yet. Getting one certainly is at the top of my list. What company makes the best 1.1 for the price? Is the Lamy 1.1 the best for how much it costs? Or is there another one out there I should look in to?

Thank you!

John

The Nemosine Singularity is a fifteen dollar pen that comes with a wide range of nibs, including a .6 VERY cursive italic, and a .8. Lightweight plastic, comfy to hold, takes standard international carts. But they write dry and may need adjustment.

I still have four of them, lol.

Finding Nemo.

PS: With that said, the Lamy 1.1 is also excellent.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

MisterBoll: I'll still keep the 1.1 in mind, it seems like a very nice size of nib. Would an OBB be an oblique broad nib? What is the difference?

OBB is oblique double broad which is wonderful.

Sailor: I had noticed the Nemosine Singularity before, but did not know that it also has a .6 and .8 nib! What exactly do you mean by a "very cursive" italic? Have you tried the .6 or .8?

MisterBoll: Is the OBB like a rounded out 1.5? I looked up some images on google of writing, and it seems like a fun nib to write with!

MisterBoll: Is the OBB like a rounded out 1.5? I looked up some images on google of writing, and it seems like a fun nib to write with!

Here is a representation of an Oblique nib -

fpn_1388688993__nibsobliqueleft.gif

Sailor: I had noticed the Nemosine Singularity before, but did not know that it also has a .6 and .8 nib! What exactly do you mean by a "very cursive" italic? Have you tried the .6 or .8?

One of my Nemos is gray with the .6mm nib. The edges are rounded slightly on either end, rather than the straight chisel-cut of the Lamy nibs. The Nemo nibs are thicker than the Lamy, with less 'spring.'

MisterBoll: Thank you. That clears things up for me! Is the line that it puts down similar to an italic? Or can it be very different?

Sailor: That's the combination I was looking at online – either that or Walnut, but Gray is more versatile. Anyway, are they fairly smooth? And Are they suitable for everyday writing?

By the way, Parker Penman Sapphire is an amazing color! What would be the closest color like it that's still being produced?

IMHO Private Reserve American Blue, which is in fact my favourite blue.

MisterBoll: Thank you. That clears things up for me! Is the line that it puts down similar to an italic? Or can it be very different?

Sailor: That's the combination I was looking at online – either that or Walnut, but Gray is more versatile. Anyway, are they fairly smooth? And Are they suitable for everyday writing?

The ones I have are. In fact the only nib I don't have is the .8 mm italic.

Here is a representation of an Oblique nib -

fpn_1388688993__nibsobliqueleft.gif

It could also represent an oblique italic :)

Seriously, I've got one!!

fpn_1388696934__oblique_italic.jpg

Edited by idazle

idazle: I understand that American Blue is their most popular color, and rightfully so! And is that a Shaeffer Targa? Those are so neat. How do you like it?

Sailor: Do you think you could post a picture of a writing sample with the .6mm? (That is if it's already inked up and ready to go.) I'm having a hard time finding writing samples on google – it must be a fairly uncommon nib. Thank you!

idazle: I understand that American Blue is their most popular color, and rightfully so! And is that a Shaeffer Targa? Those are so neat. How do you like it?

Sailor: Do you think you could post a picture of a writing sample with the .6mm? (That is if it's already inked up and ready to go.) I'm having a hard time finding writing samples on google – it must be a fairly uncommon nib. Thank you!

There's one on my latest blog post. If you can read the horrible handwriting. ;)

Thank you! And your handwriting isn't anywhere where mine used to be. I could barely read my own sometimes. haha

From what I can tell, the .6mm nib is about the size of a broad, but has some line variation. Am I correct in saying that?

The main shortcoming of PR AB is that it smears!!!!!!!!

I love Sheaffer's Targas for a number of reasons. One of them is that the best italic nib I ever tried came with a modest Steel Targa which I bought for $40 a few months ago. It sports a straight cut steel italic nib that lays down a line of a similar width as that of a 1.5 mm Lamy, but the line variation of the Targa is much better when writing a italic hand.

fpn_1388698465__006_2red.jpg

Edited by idazle

The main shortcoming of PR AB is that it smears!!!!!!!!

As in the drying time is long? Or does it smear after it's dry, too?

The Targa is a beautiful pen. I really love the unique nib design of the pen, but it's still out of my price range for now. I'd love to own one sometime. Are there variations of the italic nib, or is there on set size? By the way, what color ink is that?