Grail Pen Case Found! A Review Of Sorts..

mrchan

Hi FPNers,

I'd like to share something with all of ye today. After a lengthy search for the perfect 3 pen case, trolling through the cheaper junk, the more expensive but yet unsuitable due to size or other factors, I have finally obtained what I feel is the ultimate 3 pen case for me.

Let me start by the requirements that I was looking for:

1. 3 pen case

2. Leather - good quality, preferably soft and supple (not stiff and unforgiving), black or brown.

3. Size - This is important to me as I carry it in my pants pocket, I was looking for one that wouldn't sit like a brick in my pocket, yet would fit larger pens like the MB 149. This put options like the MB Sienna 3 pen case and the recent newer Visconti 3 pen case (which is really nice too) somewhat out of the question.

Due to some hype surrounding the Piquadro Nikolai pen cases, I looked high and low for this and only managed to find the Piquadro Tamponato, which turned out unsuitable as it only manages to fit the smaller pens and was tight even for a MB 146!

Anyway, fast forward to today when I've finally got my hands on this baby, also made by Piquadro, but not in production anymore as confirmed by them in the email. Strangely enough, I can find no references to it online either..

post-97899-0-43867800-1387517902_thumb.jpg

Enter the box. A simple logo at the front and that's about it..

post-97899-0-02282700-1387518026_thumb.jpg

A little wrapping on the inside..

post-97899-0-65214500-1387518113_thumb.jpg

There it is, in all its glory, a magnificent piece of leather, subtle, supple, and sexy!

post-97899-0-14502300-1387518221_thumb.jpg

A little close up for your viewing pleasure.

post-97899-0-58476600-1387518330_thumb.jpg

3 of my most frequently used babies (MB 146, MB Alexander Dumas (size of 149?), and my Pelikan M800 Tortoiseshell) sitting inside their new home. The leather actually will stretch to accomodate a larger pen. My MB 149 is away for service so I'll put in it and add another shot of it after to show you that it should fit when it gets back.

post-97899-0-31886500-1387518527.jpg

There it is, stretched out in all its glory..This is what I like most about this pen case..in addition to everything else!

post-97899-0-41106200-1387518629.jpg

Shot from the front..

post-97899-0-28196300-1387518681.jpg

And another..

post-97899-0-64812000-1387518738.jpg

The softness of this leather and how thin it is make it the perfect ideal pen case I have been searching high and low for..

post-97899-0-46580000-1387518802_thumb.jpg

Bendable softness..in fact the entire case will bend if you wish it to. This case isn't for heavy duty protection of your pens, not a case to dump into your back with keys and coin, oh no..It is for transporting it in your pocket for daily use, for your pens to have a nice and soft happy home, for your hands to feel the luxuriousness of this premium leather as you dig your hands into your pocket to grab your pen..

Well that is my review on this case, sorry if I gushed a little, when you finally find the thing that you have been searching for after such a long time and it exceeds your expectations, what else are you supposed to do?

Cheers and have a Happy Christmas ladies and gentlemen.

Julian.

edited for spelling error.

Edited by mrchan

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrchan

• diosrl

• kazoolaw

• riccardodebole

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is really nice. Congratulations!

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

An excellent review, with very well done photos.

How did you manage to find the out of production case?

gary

Hi Gary, thanks. The photos were taken with my iPhone so it wasn't as good as it coulda been but nevertheless..I managed to get it from a local dealer that doesn't really advertise it at all. Paid a bit of a premium for it, there is a possibility they may have another 3 pen case, but I know for sure as of last week he has a 2 pen case and a 1 pen case too. I was surprised that they still had it despite having never found any references to it online from any other source..

That is really nice. Congratulations!

Thanks a lot Kiavonne :)

• 2 weeks later...

It is just beautiful! Personally I would be far too afraid of loosing three great fountain pens at the same time. :) If I were a little more brave I would order one on the spot! :unsure: (Well, I could not, since they are out of production, but anyway.)

Edited by Ursus

Am I correct in thinking that not all three pen or two pen leather cases are fully sleeved, i.e., each pen is protected from its neighbor?

It is just beautiful! Personally I would be far too afraid of loosing three great fountain pens at the same time. :) If I were a little more brave I would order one on the spot! :unsure: (Well, I could not, since they are out of production, but anyway.)

I couldn't live without at least 3 pens everytime I go to work. It'd be boring to just be confined to one only. Plus I finish more than one pen's capacity of ink each time I work..Just take good care of them and you'll be fine. Don't leave em lying around anywhere.

It certainly looks great. Congrats on the find! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot :)

Am I correct in thinking that not all three pen or two pen leather cases are fully sleeved, i.e., each pen is protected from its neighbor?

Not sure what you mean there..The pens don't touch each other at any stage..Most pen cases separate the pens so that they don't touch..I wouldn't buy one that didn't..

That is a beauty.

I have a Piquadro dark brown single case that I bought at Fountain Pen Hospital a dozen years ago. I don't use it often, cos I usually want to carry more than one pen. The trio - should have had the foresight back then. Heh.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Well I can ask and see if they still have another in stock. I know they still have another 2 pen case in this style but for the 3 pen case it is a bit pricey..PM me if you want to know the price and possibly see if it is possible to still procure one.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful! I am thinking of asking a leather worker to produce me one similar pen case..

My grandfather had a two piece, very soft, and I always wanted a slim as possible soft as possible pen carry case :)

Beautiful! I am thinking of asking a leather worker to produce me one similar pen case..

My grandfather had a two piece, very soft, and I always wanted a slim as possible soft as possible pen carry case :)

This is the slimmest possible pen case I've ever seen in leather. So soft and supple, I have stopped wanting any other pen cases.

But the leather is not a bit too thick? The clips of the pens have some tension on them, especially the MB

Edited by diosrl

Nice pen case, which pocket does this fit in?

My pants pocket, fits nicely into my jeans too without sticking out like a sore thumb.

But the leather is not a bit too thick? The clips of the pens have some tension on them, especially the MB

Not thick at all no. Pen clips are tension free here. Its the most luxurious leather case I've ever used. U know which has a terrible amount of thickness? The MB Sienna. Don't know how you're supposed to clip the pen when storing it in that Sienna case as the pictures show, its thick as hell! I know because I have one too..Will probably sell it now that I have this one hoho.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like very well made and usefull

find out more at:

Signature

"Other instruments write for us, the fountain pen writes with us"