2014 Planners/diaries - What's Yours?

migo984

Where did you order the Hobonichi planner?

As V7ef44 helpfully posted, there is an English planner web-site where I order mine:

http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2014/planner/detail_hontai/c_hpr_m.html

It's very straightforward.

For the quality I think it's excellent value (2,500 yen). My Hobonichi has stood up very well this year to heavy daily use. To me, it's very nearly the perfect diary/planner/daily journal.

Verba volant, scripta manent

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• migo984

• da vinci

• Inkwellpens

• ragermac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Hobonichi looks so wonderfully designed, I would definitely get one if I didn't already have a refillable planner (small Laccio with Pantone Chips journal inside -- great notebook for fountain pens btw but the cover has to be cut down to fit the journal).

I have no idea what mine will be as i was told not to buy one so i'm expecting one for christmas, i just hope they remember i use a fountain pen!

No one is born hating another person because of the colour of their skin their background or their religion. People must learn to hate and if they can learn to hate they can be taught to love for love comes more naturally to the human heart than it's opposite.

I am excited about using mine after reading your vivid description. Only ordered mine today but desperately hope it's gets here by 2 Jan.

No cover. I like the planning books black and gold!

My Hobonichi has just arrived. It took 8 days from placing order so with luck you'll get yours by 2 Jan.

Much as I love pen, ink and paper, I've switched to digital about two years ago. Outlook + Exchange server + iPhone it is. Easy to offer co-workers a read-only view, accept / move appointments and no extra stuff to carry.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Much as I love pen, ink and paper, I've switched to digital about two years ago. Outlook + Exchange server + iPhone it is. Easy to offer co-workers a read-only view, accept / move appointments and no extra stuff to carry.

I use that set up at work as I have endless meetings that need to be co-ordinated by my assistants, and it's efficient when others need access to my calendar. But I use my Hobonichi for so much more - sketching, scribbling, sticking in odds & ends, journalling, as a pen & ink log etc. Can't do much of that electronically.

Edited by migo984

I'd better get googling. I can't find a Moleskin Planner anywhere - or a Lechturn planner. I may be able to find the Hobonichi planner. I tend to stick with any North American outlet I can find. Didn't even know Lechturn put out a planner. Great suggestions all.

Blank A5 spiral bound notebooks (<= plural deliberate). My life does not fit into a system :)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

I'd better get googling. I can't find a Moleskin Planner anywhere - or a Lechturn planner. I may be able to find the Hobonichi planner. I tend to stick with any North American outlet I can find. Didn't even know Lechturn put out a planner. Great suggestions all.

If I didn't use a Hobonichi, these are the ones I'd use. I'm sure they're readily available in N. America

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/leuchtturm-2014-medium-weekly-planner-diary-a5/p3295#tdesc_1

I would not recommend the Leuchtturn 1917 paper for fountain pens unless you are using a dry(ish)fine point nib. I recently received this notebook and was very disappointed with the amount of ghosting, so much it was difficult to write on both sides of the sheet. So sad, because otherwise it is a very nice notebook with many nice features. Now, I am talking some serious ghosting here. My eyes have gotten so bad I could barely see the dots of the grid pattern, but boy could I see the writing from the other side really well! YMMV

Good luck!

Rob

Edit to add: Leuchtturn planners can be found at http://www.lovenotebooks.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=84_295

Edited by rtruslow

I would not recommend the Leuchtturn 1917 paper for fountain pens unless you are using a dry(ish)fine point nib. I recently received this notebook and was very disappointed with the amount of ghosting, so much it was difficult to write on both sides of the sheet. So sad, because otherwise it is a very nice notebook with many nice features. Now, I am talking some serious ghosting here. My eyes have gotten so bad I could barely see the dots of the grid pattern, but boy could I see the writing from the other side really well! YMMV

Good luck!

Rob

Edit to add: Leuchtturn planners can be found at http://www.lovenotebooks.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=84_295

Rob - I wonder if the planner paper is different from that used in their notebooks as it was fine with my FPs when I last used their planners. Admittedly that was a while ago so the paper may have deteriorated.

For work time events, I use the outlook calendar, which I have sync to my iPod. My iPod also syncs from the Boy Scout Troop Schedule.A

At home, we have a large wall calendar next to the phone. Anything after work hours goes there.

Tom

Waterman Ideal - blue ink; Esterbrook 2048 - brown ink; Waterman Carene - black ink

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/CrazyVacationer/Pens/collection_sm.jpg

Rob - I wonder if the planner paper is different from that used in their notebooks as it was fine with my FPs when I last used their planners. Admittedly that was a while ago so the paper may have deteriorated.

Good point, Marie. The paper could well be different. It would be a good idea to ask about the paper before buying.

I'm jealous of everyone who got the ones with the Tamoe River paper.

As for me, I'm going cheap -- got one made by Pocket Pal at my doctor's office. It's small enough to fit in my purse, nice looking with its stitched fake leather cover, and it was *free* (dunno yet if the paper will be 'FP friendly, but that won't stop me :lol:). And it's got some cool stuff in the back: maps of the continents, phone numbers of airlines and car rental companies, area codes, mileage between major US cities.

Although -- as a dedicated Mac user -- I'm somewhat bemused by the 3 pages of keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My Hobonichi has just arrived. It took 8 days from placing order so with luck you'll get yours by 2 Jan.

Mine has just reached Tokyo. Happy days :)

Well, I've been watching this thread for some days now, and I've read some related ones over the past months. I had seen so many references to Leuchtturm that I decided to explore. I found the style I'm used to and like (except no lines within the day boxes), and I ordered it through Amazon (shipped by one of its "partners"). Just received it last night, and I finally had a few minutes today to write in my name and address on the appropriate page (Levenger Stealth, M, Diamine Jet Black). That's okay, but the page is heavier than the daily/weekly pages that follow, so I still don't know how that paper will do.

I've been using the Levenger Circa for two years, and I have to say that, even though I like the concept of the Circa system, I've been disappointed with the bleed-through I get on the paper. Along with their high price, this was the reason I went for the Leuchtturm. I thought of other alternatives, but some of the rave reviews made me want to try this one. At 64, still working, I figure I have a few more years left to try some of the other possibilities.